New section

figgis

This section is intended to help with coin identification, with links to helpful sites along with the odd forum guide. It'll be subdivided into eras (Celtic, Roman, Saxon etc) with info specific to that phase.

It's a work under construction (in fact the groundworkers are still drinking tea in the hut and I'll have a stern word) but when we've got it properly under way it'll be a place to plonk any useful sites that you'd like to share (together with any other info you've gleaned) and so help others get into the awkward, confusing, difficult, but ultimately rewarding business that is coin identification.

Not often you get to be part of a forum where you can still see the builders' bums, eh? :lol:

In the meantime, any specific requests on what you'd like to see, just say and we'll see what we can do :thumbsup:
DaveP

figgis wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:09 pm
In the meantime, any specific requests on what you'd like to see, just say and we'll see what we can do :thumbsup:
Alectus' phone number :D
Oxgirl

DaveP wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:33 pm Alectus' phone number :D
Is he attractive then? Just asking for a friend 8-)
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Phone numbers arent needed on The Detecting Hub

We have all the ID members plugged into our matrix :thumbsup:
Easylife

figgis wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:09 pm In the meantime, any specific requests on what you'd like to see, just say and we'll see what we can do :thumbsup:
Dear Santa, I'd like to see a gold stater appear under my coil. :Party:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Saffron

The other day Oxgirl posted a really useful item to help identify coins, including the direction the monarchs head was facing and the diameter of different coins for different periods (so even a toasted blank disk could be narrowed down to some extent). Having that in this new section would be a good start.

OK, I admit it I needed it earlier and could not find it. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Evan
Oxgirl

Saffron wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:29 am The other day Oxgirl posted a really useful item to help identify coins, including the direction the monarchs head was facing and the diameter of different coins for different periods (so even a toasted blank disk could be narrowed down to some extent). Having that in this new section would be a good start.

OK, I admit it I needed it earlier and could not find it. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Evan
:D Your wish is our command :Luv Ya:
Saffron

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:35 am :D Your wish is our command :Luv Ya:
That was an impressive response :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When you first posted it I thought it needed to be pinned for future reference, but where it is now it should be easy to find and get more usage.

Evan
DaveP

Just a point of view.
There are two ways to identify a coin. 1. Post it on here and in a microsecond you have an answer. 2. Do the research and work out the identification. And sometimes coins are posted to confirm an ID.

One of the challenges with every and any forum that has fixed documents or reference guides is getting people to use them and make them easy to use.

I just wonder whether one of the coin ID gurus could create a flow chart of sorts that also links in the reference material. Keep in mind you have a range of knowledge from complete newbies to ultra-experienced. For example only and if you are making something for someone new:

Does your coin have a date - Yes - 1580
What monarch was on the throne - https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/K ... ofBritain/
Elizabeth 1st.
What size is the coin - ~32mm
Sixpence
What mint and issue - http://www.psdetecting.com/Mintmarks-El ... amesI.html

Or a similar approach to "how do I read a coin?" with links.

I appreciate it could be a lot of work or may have been done already but the collective knowledge on here could make sure others are directed to only the best links. Alternatively, file this idea in the round filing cabinet.
Dave The Slave

Good idea.
My first port of call is usually Numista, when trying to ID others finds.
Most of what i have found is unidentifiable until it gets to the FLO.
The 2 Denarii i have found was able to ID myself by trawling through lots of similar coins, possibly Wildwinds.
Will be a good resource and good to see where other people look for help.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

Love the mint marks guide DaveP - thank you :thumbsup:
Pete E

DaveP wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:39 am Just a point of view.
There are two ways to identify a coin. 1. Post it on here and in a microsecond you have an answer. 2. Do the research and work out the identification. And sometimes coins are posted to confirm an ID.

One of the challenges with every and any forum that has fixed documents or reference guides is getting people to use them and make them easy to use.

I just wonder whether one of the coin ID gurus could create a flow chart of sorts that also links in the reference material. Keep in mind you have a range of knowledge from complete newbies to ultra-experienced. For example only and if you are making something for someone new:

Does your coin have a date - Yes - 1580
What monarch was on the throne - https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/K ... ofBritain/
Elizabeth 1st.
What size is the coin - ~32mm
Sixpence
What mint and issue - http://www.psdetecting.com/Mintmarks-El ... amesI.html

Or a similar approach to "how do I read a coin?" with links.

I appreciate it could be a lot of work or may have been done already but the collective knowledge on here could make sure others are directed to only the best links. Alternatively, file this idea in the round filing cabinet.
I am not sure how easy this would be especially with hammies, but it is an excellent idea...

Years ago, I had a book on identifying edible fungi that worked much the same way but I wonder if there are too many minor variations with Hammy's?

I suppose it could be simplified such that it only took you to the denomination and monarch which would still be very helpful for people like myself...
figgis

A hopefully simple guide to Henry III pennies has been sat on my desk for ages and will be out soon. Ish. :D
Pete E

figgis wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:02 am A hopefully simple guide to Henry III pennies has been sat on my desk for ages and will be out soon. Ish. :D
Only about 20 more monarchs to do then? :lol: :lol:
figgis

Bruce has volunteered to do the rest :D :thumbsup: