Institute of Detectorists gets Historic England support

MudMax MD

An interesting development and surely the way we need to go for the future of the hobby?
http://www.bajrfed.co.uk/bajrpress/hist ... ectorists/
TerraBritannia

Thanks Keith, I'll give it a read later.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Oxgirl

From Julian Evan Hart (Treasure Hunting mag) today on Facebook

mod edit: this post is no longer on Facebook so I feel uncomfortable leaving it here until we know why it was deleted. Apologies for removing it, but it feels the right thing to do.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
DaveP

I know one should never shoot the messenger but Cath, you owe me two minutes LOL

Just teasing ;)
Oxgirl

DaveP wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:45 pm I know one should never shoot the messenger but Cath, you owe me two minutes LOL

Just teasing ;)
Only 2 minutes? :ugeek:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Mucky

Leave everything as is. No more rules needed.
And looking at the link.. since when has Simon Cowell been a detectorist! :lol:
Steve RC

Excellent. There is a lot more to be revealed about the I o D and its intents for the hobby.
Pete E

Steve RC wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:22 pm Excellent. There is a lot more to be revealed about the I o D and its intents for the hobby.
After hearing the guy from the IoD speak last year I quickly came to that conclusion. The other thing that struck me was just how important he thought himself...
alloverover

Pete E wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:27 pm After hearing the guy from the IoD speak last year I quickly came to that conclusion. The other thing that struck me was just how important he thought himself...
Yep, he is full of his own importance alright, another one that thinks he is the first to think of detecting in straight lines :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete E

alloverover wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:07 pm
Yep, he is full of his own importance alright, another one that thinks he is the first to think of detecting in straight lines :lol: :lol: :lol:
If the connection to that certain gentleman in Poland is true, I suspect detecting in straight lines is the only thing that is "straight" about the IoD... :roll:
Steve RC

This proposed organisation goes to great lengths to claim that it is not for profit yet to run it will need a commensurate level of income which will be from yearly membership/affiliation fees ,training course fees and so on. Therefore it should have a business model to ensure that its future income will provide this.

Even a Community Interest Company( CIC) that the Institute is to develop into, will require a fund raising facility in order to function as a not for profit business. The way a C I C is run allows its founder to retain control over the business once appointed as Director or whatever title is chosen and be paid a fair salary which is fixed at the market rate. Its terms also allow others to be appointed as "experts" to the business and also be paid a market rate salary.

So running the administration of the Institute and paying market rate salaries is not going to come cheap hence it members will be expected to pay membership fees and training course fees set at a level that will ensure that the bills will be paid and not make a profit.

So it is another business interest for the gentleman concerned making money out of the hobby.
DaveP

Steve RC wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:39 pm This proposed organisation goes to great lengths to claim that it is not for profit yet to run it will need a commensurate level of income which will be from yearly membership/affiliation fees ,training course fees and so on. Therefore it should have a business model to ensure that its future income will provide this.

Even a Community Interest Company( CIC) that the Institute is to develop into, will require a fund raising facility in order to function as a not for profit business. The way a C I C is run allows its founder to retain control over the business once appointed as Director or whatever title is chosen and be paid a fair salary which is fixed at the market rate. Its terms also allow others to be appointed as "experts" to the business and also be paid a market rate salary.

So running the administration of the Institute and paying market rate salaries is not going to come cheap hence it members will be expected to pay membership fees and training course fees set at a level that will ensure that the bills will be paid and not make a profit.

So it is another business interest for the gentleman concerned making money out of the hobby.
Steve,

excellent post. The person in question has some talent for marketing his 'product' and getting support from the likes of English Heritage, head of the PAS etc. Shouldn't someone be "at the table" when all are the stakeholders are together to put questions like this and press for answers?
Steve RC

Yes he is a business man and a quick search at Companies House will reveal a selection of current and dissolved companies he is and has been involved with.
The Association of Detectorists is just another business venture and being pragmatic if it fails it will be dissolved and move on to the next one.