Keep aware of storms...

Littleboot

Just a reminder to stay aware of the progress of weather systems as you detect.
I gather it is similar weather in Blighty at present....we have had extremely hot weather recently which has, inevitably, given way to a build up of storms and humidity. For three days in a row I have finished my work and then decided to detect nearby arable in the mid to late afternoon......and each time it has been a photo finish with the distant roll of thunder.
Thing is, with detectors being waterproof I am somewhat less aware of rain clouds because the days of struggling to protect my equipment from water have gone. Today i was detecting about 500 yards away from my home. Open arable land and no cover. I was happily pootling along and enjoying the fact that the signals were biting after some much needed rain. However, when i turned around I was shocked to see how angry the sky looked and, on removing my headphones, how loud and close the thunder actually was. It isn't always easy to see lightning in broad daylight but I definitely saw a flash of sheet lightning overhead. It was like a camera flash bathing everything.
Because I had been involved and my back was turned to the emerging storm it had crept up on me.
So i scuttled off home not a moment too soon. Within 5 minutes of getting indoors there was a crack of fork lightning in the direction i had come from.
We are in the middle of open fields and therefore susceptible to being struck. Please remain aware and regularly check out the sky all around you (storms have a nasty habit of going round you in a circle) at regular intervals. Take stock and form a judgement of where you would take shelter and how quickly you could get there. (You are perfectly safe from an electric storm in a car.)
If you can hear thunder then it is possible to be struck. That is a fact.
Live long and prosper.
Oxgirl

Excellent point Jan. It’s very easy to be unaware of the power of mother nature when your ears are cocooned in headphones. There are numerous stormy weather fronts in the UK right now so an important point :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

Also do NOT shelter under a tree during a thunder storm. They can attract lightening and sadly over the years many people have been killed by lightening while sheltering under trees.

Due to the body of the car acting like a Faraday Cage sitting in a car is perfectly safe even if lightening hits the car.

Evan
shaggybfc

If you're out with a Deus, you can tell an electrical storm is coming.... its better than a dog for picking it up. My pinpointer goes bananas with the electrical interference in the air.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
MudMax MD

shaggybfc wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:17 pm If you're out with a Deus, you can tell an electrical storm is coming.... its better than a dog for picking it up. My pinpointer goes bananas with the electrical interference in the air.

I wouldn't put all my faith in the Deus. I was happily using mine this evening when my girlfriend picked up a lightning strike in the nearby village. I scuttled off sharpish !
Steve_JT

Apparently if you are caught out in the open it’s best to kneel down hands over head elbows on knees so if you are struck it goes to ground without going through the whole body and stopping your heart.

Best advice is don’t be out in it, you can get weather radar as a web page to see any progress or direction of storms, updated every 5 minutes

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Ladybird66

I was doing exactly that last night Jan but from the safety of my front porch.
It was quite fascinating watching the clouds and lightening gradually coming towards me. I thought, what a shame I couldn’t film it. Then, as is my want, I had a flash of inspiration (appropriate wording ! ) how about if I take a series of pics with my iPad, sure to catch at least one good one :thumbsup:
Would you believe i took 81 pics but i did get this one. Look familiar. ?? Tap to expand. (It went round us in the end)
Attachments
67E2F110-97FD-45A0-BD8C-200D696AA063.jpeg
figgis

A good and timely reminder, Jan :thumbsup:

Wish I had the opportunity to use the advice. While the rest of the country (and, it seems, Europe) have been soaked, there's not been a sniff of a storm here. We've had the heat and humidity but nothing to go with it.

I do love storms and maybe we'll get one today :D But I've been saying that since Wednesday :thumbdown:
DaveP

You'd be surprised how quickly grown men can move when you're sitting in the middle of The Channel with a bunch of carbon composite fishing rods pointed upwards! It's almost like a cartoon comedy - "Storm!" or "Lightning!" and in a microsecond every line is in and the rods laid flat on the deck at the back of the boat and a little gaggle at the front in the wheelhouse :lol:

Good reminder Jan.
Oxgirl

Great picture Val :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Ladybird66

figgis wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 am A good and timely reminder, Jan :thumbsup:

Wish I had the opportunity to use the advice. While the rest of the country (and, it seems, Europe) have been soaked, there's not been a sniff of a storm here. We've had the heat and humidity but nothing to go with it.

I do love storms and maybe we'll get one today :D But I've been saying that since Wednesday :thumbdown:
I too am slightly disappointed that every storm ‘centre’ has actually gone around us. I stood in the back garden, night before last (last pee call for doggies) about 11pm. I looked towards the N/E hoping to get a glimpse of a meteor. All I could see was flashes of lightening. The same to the left, the same to the right and the same behind.
Just flashes, no thunder.
The amazing thing was, if I looked strait UP ⬆️ It was a clear sky and I could see the stars. Amazing in itself !
We’ve had no rain either. So dry I put the sprinkler on my Heathers yesterday afternoon. Just moved it to the Rhododendrons when it started raining. It lasted all of 10mins then was gone.
Knowing Wales I dare say our turn will come. Then it won’t know when to stop :roll:
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:58 pm It’s very easy to be unaware of the power of mother nature when your ears are cocooned in headphones.
That is why I prefer the open back headphones so that I am not too isolated from what is going on around me, like the rumble of cattle charging! Though the closed ones are better for the beach to blank out wave noise. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

figgis wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 am Wish I had the opportunity to use the advice. While the rest of the country (and, it seems, Europe) have been soaked, there's not been a sniff of a storm here. We've had the heat and humidity but nothing to go with it.
Same here in the Midlands it just doesn't seem fair! :lol: I'm waiting for a paddock to get a soaking before I detect it so that the grass doesn't die off. :thumbsup:
Easylife

When the weather is potentially dodgy I'm always aware of the wind direction to see what is coming and whether to make a break or not. More often that not I just catch the edge of the heavy rain for a short while before it brightens up again. Though one hot sunny afternoon I was just wearing a vest and shorts when the heavens opened up without warning with a very heavy downpour. It was about 100m to the tree line and I was completely soaked before I even got halfway there. So I now carry one of those 99p ponchos just in case I get caught out again. But a rumble of thunder or lightening and it would be time to go! :thumbsup:
Easylife

Steve_JT wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:13 am You can get weather radar as a web page to see any progress or direction of storms, updated every 5 minutes.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Regards Steve
Thanks, that could be useful. I used to have a weather app on my phone that told you how many minutes to the next rain and it seemed quite accurate. When the wind suddenly starts to pick up is usually a sign that it is bringing rain even before you turn and see the big dark cloud. :thumbsup: :lol: 8-)