Medieval strapend contains fabric scrap....

Littleboot

Yesterday I found a 14th century strapend on the field where I have found some really good finds of the period...coins, ampulla etc etc. well pleased to have another piece of that jigsaw. it has an excellent patina and has obviously been deep in the pan for a long tine as it has been well protected in the clay. Begs the question what else is just out of range. (This was dragged up by the plough which had been sent out to rip up the parts of the field compacted by the combines and sprayers making tracks through the grain.)
Anyway, well pleased and it adds further substance to my theory of a 100 year war era encampment which the name of the hamlet references and which is mentioned in the minutes of an 18th century antiquarian society locally.
I will post a photo...it is a standard type of narrow strap end held by a rivet and with a small decorative knop at the pointed end.

The thing that pleased me most was the scrap of fabric which has survived from between the metal flanges. I would like to research this and find out what it may have been made from. I suspect a plant fibre....may even be nettle....like flax. Any suggestions on how to discover more about it. It is not a big sample, as you can imagine, but enough to see the weave and construction. i love it.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Blackadder43

Nice find Jan :thumbsup:
*Waits patiently for a photo*
Easylife

Interesting, maybe a museum could analyze it? :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Littleboot

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:02 pm Nice find Jan :thumbsup:
*Waits patiently for a photo*
Yes...sorry for the delay. We had an emergency and had to go out.

(We'd run out of booze. :shock: )
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
figgis

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Littleboot

Quite so, John.
figgis

Hope you're better now :thumbsup:

I'm eager to see this piccy as well, but please take your time and settle down after such a narrow avoidance of disaster
Oxgirl

Whilst you’re waiting can I do a hi-jack?

Naa best not, I can feel John and Bruce’s eyes glaring at me in my mind. I found button with fabric yesterday too but I’ll post up a new topic :angel:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:07 pm I can feel John and Bruce’s eyes glaring at me
:arrow: :shock:

(Sorry, that's the best I can do with the smilies available :D )
Steve RC

I had a similar find many years ago and sought out anyone who would be interested in analysing it. Drew a blank and basically there were some interested parties who wanted paying a good deal of money to look at it. No one at the time was researching such items for a PhD so it is still in a drawer somewhere.
Oxgirl

Come on LB get the camera out :D :Luv Ya:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking