Ever lost a good find?

figgis

When moving recently, I carefully packed all the finds from the display case and put them into a special, padded box separate to everything else and to be transported next to me in the jalopy. Unpacked the box, re-loaded the cabinet but... something was missing. Three somethings, in fact - my only two pieces of Samian ware and one of my fave finds of all time, a beautiful Saxon cruciform brooch terminal. :o

Panic set in and continued to rise over the months as I turned the new gaff upside down looking for them. They had to be in one of the as yet unpacked boxes in the under-stairs cupboard or loft, but they simply weren't, no matter how many times I looked. Her ladyship was accused of throwing them away with the rest of her junk or eating them but the simple fact was that they were nowhere to be found :cry:

Fast forward to yesterday and an email from my FLO telling me that my pottery had been sorted, the brooch fragment had been drawn, and once given the all-clear we could arrange collection. :D :thumbsup: :oops: I'd totally forgotten I'd left them with her and I'm happy to report that progress with regards recovery of domestic harmony with HL is well underway, albeit with a long way to go.

I have to say I was gutted to have believed them lost. Anyone else ever misplaced/lost a treasured find?
Daz2110

I found a William III sixpence a couple of years ago, I took photos of it in the field. But when I got home, I couldn't find it. Checked all my pockets...... Nothing. I was gutted. It was one of my first silver coins.

I cleared out my wardrobe the other day and found the gillet I was wearing. Checked the pockets before I gave it to charity but unfortunately one of the pockets was ripped so I threw it on the floor for binning. The missing sixpence only rolled out of it 😂. It must have got caught in between the lining they day I found it and pocketed it.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200818_194715.jpg
Screenshot_20200818_194705.jpg
Pete E

I picked up a patterned spindle whorl from my FLO and after getting home, it disappeared!

I still hope it will turn up somewhere but after several months it's not looking good.. :cry:
Bors

I found a lovely little silver necklace once, I put in my pocket and continued detecting. Got home to look at it and it had gone. Its must have slipped back out of my pocket. :pulling hair out:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
figgis

Glad your story sees the recovery of a lovely coin, Daz. Lovely surprise, I expect. :thumbsup:

Shame the same can't be said of your finds, Pete and Pete. :thumbdown: Yet. Must be something to do with being called Pete. Anyone called Pete thinking of taking up detecting - don't bother! :lol:
TerraBritannia

I once found a nice little Hammered Penny, but when I got back to the car I couldn't find it in my finds pouch, pockets or the back of the car. I searched high and low for it, as I was about to go and knock on the farmers door and let him know how I'd got on. I did find a small hole in my pouch though. (I still need a new one).

I went and had a good chat with the farmer and his wife, but I didn't dare mention the Penny. When I got back to the car I had another look and there it was on the ground just at the back of the car. I didn't go back and knock on the door again.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Steve RC

Yep dropped a hammered penny on my way to the shed to dump the scrap whilst trying to hold both in one hand and the shed key in the other.

Could not find it by eye and the detector produced nothing except the accumulated rubbish from the topsoil and new turf laid a few years before. Well annoyed and eventually forgot about until one morning weeks later walking along the footpath and there it was sat on the top of a flagstone. Now i did wonder if the kids had found it and were on a windup ,but no with steadfast denials from all.

All i can think of is that the Blackbird looking for grubs and worms down the side of the path has picked it up and dropped it on the path. Very happy and the Blackbirds can have free roam of the garden for ever !!
Easylife

I once found a very nice hammy on my permission and took it along to the next club dig to show the guys. I had it in a clear bag and after showing it placed it in my finds bag whilst we searched several pasture fields. Upon returning home there was no sign of the coin at all and I resigned myself that I must have somehow dropped it on the pasture somewhere and would never see it again. But several weeks later it reappeared in my garage stuck to the bottom of a carrier bag. I've no idea at all how it got there but was just pleased to be reunited with it. :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
TheFenTiger

I was showing the landowner my first 4 coins from my purse loss the day I found them on the patio decking. I ended up dropping one in the middle of the decking and it fell though between the slats out of view. Next day I found another 5 so I needed to find the missing coin. I tried to hook it out by a number of ways but I ended up having to take up the length of decking to get it out. So not lost as such but was embarrassing.
Dave
shaggybfc

Not lost by me....
I was working away and my wife had a few friends around one evening and someone asked if I’d found anything nice. My wife ran upstairs and brought down a lovely 15ct gold ring with a small diamond mounted in the centre. I’d had it straightened and polished - it looked like new - beautiful.
Passing it around, it got to one lady who said “the diamond must be tiny, I can’t see it” It had only gone and fallen out and was lost on the carpet. Mrs Shaggy was beside herself.... she didn’t tell me for weeks and then only did because I went to get it to show my brother.....
easy come, easy go
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
HolzHammer

TerraEnglandia wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:52 pm I once found a nice little Hammered Penny, but when I got back to the car I couldn't find it in my finds pouch, pockets or the back of the car. I searched high and low for it, as I was about to go and knock on the farmers door and let him know how I'd got on. I did find a small hole in my pouch though. (I still need a new one).

I went and had a good chat with the farmer and his wife, but I didn't dare mention the Penny. When I got back to the car I had another look and there it was on the ground just at the back of the car. I didn't go back and knock on the door again.
very poignant as i found avery nice hammered Eddy yesterday morning, pouched it when it suddenly started tipping it down... with lightning! Fortunately at just that time the gamekeeper was passing in his truck ( sounds like the sort of thing that happens to figigs on his Estate!) I hopped in and we drove back to the farm - later I couldn't find the penny it must have slipped out in my rush to get into the vehicle... so perhaps its still there amongst God knows what Dave keeps in and on the passenger seat of his motor... i'll have the chance to check on Friday - #rats!