Tips for filming one's antics please...!

HolzHammer

Morning All,
Any tips for self video-ing one's metal detecting adventures?! I thought i might give it a go!
Pip pip!
Alexander
Pete E

Good luck with the project!

To make the video watchable, keep the camera steady on a subject and give the viewers time to take in what they are seeing. My pet hate is when the film taker appears to be on speed and is moving the camera around constantly...I find head mounted go-pro type cameras the worst for this...Try to get a small tripod or similar and shoot a proportion of the footage using that instead of trying to do everything one handed..

Secondly teach us something...explain signals, equipment, research tips, anything to avoid a video that's just a series of reveals/clod shots/close up of finds..if at all possible let us hear interesting signals tones and give us your interpretation or prediction..don't worry if you are wrong as it's still a learning exercise..

Again good luck, and look forward to seeing the results..
Easylife

That would be a fun project which would take you along the learning curve of video-editing. I'd say just cut to the chase and edit out all the boring stuff. Make sure that the mike is not picking up constant wind or traffic noise as that makes it quite unlistenable.
I've thought of doing something similar but mainly for the deep really iffy targets rather than multiple routine targets as most seem to do. But as you say for 'one's metal detecting adventures', so I guess it's not just about the finds? You'll soon figure out how to make improvements. Maybe a combination of fixed camera and some slow moving? :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
HolzHammer

Pete E wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:33 pm Good luck with the project!

To make the video watchable, keep the camera steady on a subject and give the viewers time to take in what they are seeing. My pet hate is when the film taker appears to be on speed and is moving the camera around constantly...I find head mounted go-pro type cameras the worst for this...Try to get a small tripod or similar and shoot a proportion of the footage using that instead of trying to do everything one handed..

Secondly teach us something...explain signals, equipment, research tips, anything to avoid a video that's just a series of reveals/clod shots/close up of finds..if at all possible let us hear interesting signals tones and give us your interpretation or prediction..don't worry if you are wrong as it's still a learning exercise..

Again good luck, and look forward to seeing the results..
Thanks Pete E - good advice - its all on hold at the moment as I can't find a way to put the deus lite through a small speaker short of buying the remote which I don't want to do... I have tried a mini speaker connected to the puck with headphone adapter and a 35mm jack wire but its just not working and i am not technical in this area to know the problem...! grrrrrrrrr!
HolzHammer

Easylife wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:16 pm That would be a fun project which would take you along the learning curve of video-editing. I'd say just cut to the chase and edit out all the boring stuff. Make sure that the mike is not picking up constant wind or traffic noise as that makes it quite unlistenable.
I've thought of doing something similar but mainly for the deep really iffy targets rather than multiple routine targets as most seem to do. But as you say for 'one's metal detecting adventures', so I guess it's not just about the finds? You'll soon figure out how to make improvements. Maybe a combination of fixed camera and some slow moving? :thumbsup:
Thanks Easy - Im quite keen to get started but have run into a technical issue with trying to get sound from the deus lite set-up ( see above) ( i really don't want to buy the remote as i know it will distract me and I'm really comfortable with just the aural feedback via the backphones i don't want to start getting all numbers and lines.......!
Easylife

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:57 pm Thanks Easy - I'm quite keen to get started but have run into a technical issue with trying to get sound from the deus lite set-up.
I would think that a powered speaker would work, like a bluetooth speaker connected by cable to the puck?
figgis

Very best of luck with solving the issues and having a bash, A :thumbsup:

Very much look forward to seeing the results of your efforts BUT if you include the words "OMG" or "EPIC" or "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I FOUND" in the title you're banned. :D ;) :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Pre record the sound signals and add them later.
Not sure if this is possible with your equipment.
Good luck, :thumbsup:
Dave.
HolzHammer

Easylife wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:29 pm I would think that a powered speaker would work, like a bluetooth speaker connected by cable to the puck?
you would have thought so and I've tried it with a small blue tooth speaker and a cable .... very odd sounds it made.... I think its a problem to do with amplification.... or something..... I bet I end up buying the box.....!
TerraBritannia

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 pm Morning All,
Any tips for self video-ing one's metal detecting adventures?! I thought i might give it a go!
Pip pip!
Alexander
Just be yourself and the rest will develop over time. :thumbsup:

What are you going to be editing your footage with, will it be a computer or would you be using a phone? If you'll be using a PC/Laptop/Mac, check out the free version of Davinci Resolve and have a play around with it. I've tried various Windows software and I think that Davinci Resolve is one of the best to use. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube too. :thumbsup:

Good luck and have fun.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Easylife

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:51 pm you would have thought so and I've tried it with a small blue tooth speaker and a cable .... very odd sounds it made.... I think its a problem to do with amplification.... or something..... I bet I end up buying the box.....!
I wouldn't buy the remote just to get sound out of a speaker when there is a much cheaper workaround. A powered speaker should be fine. I'd check the puck connection and volume setting as well as trying the headphones first.
Easylife

TerraEnglandia wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:47 pm I've tried various Windows software and I think that Davinci Resolve is one of the best to use.
How would you compare it to WMM Windows Movie Maker?
TerraBritannia

Davinci Resolve is quite advanced and in fairness it can look quite daunting when you first use it. I mostly use the standard functions, there's many features that I haven't tried yet.

Here's a site that will give you some pros and cons of both, also some other software too. https://launchberg.com/best-video-editing-software/

I suppose it's best to try different software and see which you prefer to use.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Pete E

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:55 pm
Thanks Pete E - good advice - its all on hold at the moment as I can't find a way to put the deus lite through a small speaker short of buying the remote which I don't want to do... I have tried a mini speaker connected to the puck with headphone adapter and a 35mm jack wire but its just not working and i am not technical in this area to know the problem...! grrrrrrrrr!
Have been pondering this, but as I am not familiar with the Deus, I can't really help.

One suggestion would be to look through YT for anybody else producing videos with a Deus Lite and see if they can suggest a solution?
HolzHammer

Pete E wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:39 am Have been pondering this, but as I am not familiar with the Deus, I can't really help.

One suggestion would be to look through YT for anybody else producing videos with a Deus Lite and see if they can suggest a solution?
thanks Pete, I've been pondering too.... too much!
Good plan re the vids I'm on it!