A got me a pretty little crown

Oxgirl

A new permission I picked up in January gave me few finds but was very disappointing compared to the promise it held looking at the location. I knew they have a lot of family land so when I asked if there was anywhere else that was now harvested I was told I could go on a couple of other fields. Yippppeee :Party:

One is massive and the other smaller one sits between two big houses in an old village. Annoyingly these fields had been left fallow all summer when I could have been detecting them though :thumbdown: so I’m guessing they’ll be seeded soon. Not wanting to waste time I skipped straight over.

The first hour was pretty disappointing with the highlights being watching some beautiful deer skipping across the field and a beautiful 🌈.The lowlight was getting soaked twice in the sharp showers!

I’d only gone for a reccie visit but was disappointed by just how quiet the field was for finds in the first hour, not even much lead. It wasn’t till the last 30 minutes that I started to get some more interesting areas. I’ve already found lots of evidence of a house in one area and the field markings would get any detectorist excited so I’ve just not found the hotspots yet.

So today’s star find was a copper alloy crown - assuming it’s a candle holder of some sort? Thoughts on age would be appreciated.
CCC9EF08-5AF6-4293-82D3-1BBA2945B4E3.jpeg
And the rest of the better finds sword scabbard? Too big for an aglet :Thinking:
3FA46188-9177-4FDD-8CF1-F1E97E3DAF28.jpeg
D52F1A37-9EA8-4EEA-96D4-8A01A8284116.jpeg
And a bag seal with a scratched cross, an oval button (with broken loop), a belt mount and half a buckle with some silvering left.
36A60B54-CD73-42AD-B7EF-BBF50974BDD5.jpeg
188673BE-381E-49FD-985F-A260492D9E12.jpeg
Ok not a day to set the detecting world alight but it means the field is interesting and that's good enough for me :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Ladybird66

As you say, nothing really exciting but together they make a nice statement. I’m sure you’ll be posting some nice finds from that field. I’d be happy with that for a first visit.
No idea on age of the little crown and can’t see it being a candle holder (but could be wrong) it’s very sweet. Wonder if someone will recognise it.
Be interesting to see what you find next visit. :thumbsup:

Lovely getting wet ain’t it. I made the mistake of believing what the weatherman said the other day, too warm for waterproof coat so went out in T.Shirt & body warmer. Ha, you can guess the rest :roll:
Easylife

Sure, research gives an indication and may build hopes, but that is all usually. The chape is not a stunner but I really do like that crown. Just why are so many Medieval things made to 1" diameter? :lol: I know!
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Jamesey1981

The site sounds promising, and finding anything that gives a good signal is a good sign if no one has dug it up already.

Grab one of these, they pack down small and it will fit in your detecting bag for when you're believing the weatherman. I have the mens version and I keep it in my work bag when I'm not taking a coat.

Bear in mind though that it's a bit like carrying an umbrella, it will only rain when you have forgotten it.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/women ... spx/khaki/

Other colours are available, but olive drab seems to be the detectorist's favourite colour.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Littleboot

I know you are patient, OG. I like the little crown, too. Like you I have a lot of big fields. I know there is 'stuff' there but i also know it can take a while to hit the hotspots. Hotspots are called that for a reason and can be very tight so in a huge field it is easy to miss them for several visits over several seasons and then Bam! You realise what you have been (just) missing all along. :lol:
I find it a bit of a stress at this time of year because I have to make choices about what I do....I know the crops are going in soon so have to decide how much time I want to spend on each field. It is the luck of the draw. i may stick at a field and still come up empty and then find i have missed my window of opportunity elsewhere, or I could spread myself too thin and waft about and never get to grips with any of them at all.
I think we have to go with intuition and how it 'feels'. That is usually, with me, how the ground conditions are. I obviously have no real idea of what could be under the soil in any given area, but I can make a judgement at how cooperative the ground conditions are. No point wasting time on a field if I suspect that even if I put my coil over something interesting it is only 50-50 or less that I will pick it up. (Went on a favorite field last week...I know where the hotspots are and know there are bound to be more things to find. But it was a frustrating experience because it had been disced and was too friable and fluffy and dry. So I had to cut my losses and moved on. You really do have to know when to do that.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Oxgirl

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:36 am The site sounds promising, and finding anything that gives a good signal is a good sign if no one has dug it up already.

Grab one of these, they pack down small and it will fit in your detecting bag for when you're believing the weatherman. I have the mens version and I keep it in my work bag when I'm not taking a coat.

Bear in mind though that it's a bit like carrying an umbrella, it will only rain when you have forgotten it.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/women ... spx/khaki/

Other colours are available, but olive drab seems to be the detectorist's favourite colour.
Great link thank you :thumbsup: Annoyingly I have some wet weather gear in my car normally but I had lent my car to a friend that morning and was using a different one with none of the usual ‘just in case’ gear in it. As you say though it’s never there when you need it! It was ok though cause at least there was a few fields I could shelter under and I got to see the resulting rainbow too when the sun came back out :D
Pete E

There items on there I would love to find and I think that field has plenty of promise..

As to the crown, it's an odd one...I wouldn't even like to guess it's age either to be honest....hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will have an answer....
Oxgirl

Littleboot wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:06 am I know you are patient, OG....
You have to be on my fields LB :lol: I guess most of us have to be. Not many of my other arable fields have been harvested yet and, to be honest, most of the others are pretty poor for finds anyway so this one can’t be much worse! And there’s little trash so it saves lots of pointless digging which was rather nice :D

Still no idea what that crown thing is - any ideas anyone?
Oxgirl

Could it be a finger ring? It’s perfect size for a finger :Thinking:
Ladybird66

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:31 am Could it be a finger ring? It’s perfect size for a finger :Thinking:
It looks to have an inner rim so I’d say no to a ring. Can’t think of anything it could be other than decoration. Maybe furniture, maybe a clock ?
The patina suggests copper or brass so would have looked the bees knees when new. Certainly a nice and unusual find.
Course you know what’ll happen ! Someone will look at it and say it’s this or that, then we all think ‘oh of course, it’s obvious, now you know’

(A bit like my clock pendulum ) :lol:
Mucky

A ferrule for a walking stick / cane handle would be my guess. Hang on to it. :thumbsup:
alloverover

Thats a nice thing Cath, patina says medieval to me but it does look like a ferrule from a walking stick or something similar, patina says old though :D :thumbsup:
Saffron

Remember "Massive fields" are new and designed for modern farm machinery.

Where now you might have only half a dozen fields with the smallest being 50 acres plus and all belonging to the same farm. In the past this might have been a small farm and several smallholdings and the biggest field might have only been 10 acres. Then with changes in farming practices the smallholdings became unviable and the farm bought them out. Then with modern machinery, and government policy concentrating out output rather than "the countryside" (a policy that has to some extent been reversed), the small fields were uneconomical so all the hedges were removed to create much larger fields.

So the history of one part of a modern "Massive field" is very different to the history of other parts of the same field. Therefore its not surprising that there are hotspots in what are mainly barren fields. Its often worth checking old maps, as the hotpot might well match up with only one old small field .... if that is the case you should be able to predict the extent of the hotspot.

As for the crown, I have no idea but the ferrule from a walking stick is a possible idea.

Evan
Oxgirl

Here’s a satellite of the 2 fields (the 2 ploughed ones - small one on the left and the big one on the right). There were definitely smaller fields and lots of other stuff too going on in the bigger field. It’s 40 + acres I’d say so you are spot on Evan it was originally at least 4 fields.

The path from another village goes right through the smaller field too :D
B4256DB0-C55D-43A4-A1B6-2716C666A290.jpeg
Oxgirl

Mucky wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:16 pm A ferrule for a walking stick / cane handle would be my guess. Hang on to it. :thumbsup:
Could very well be, good suggestion, thank you :thumbsup: