Something to crab about.

Saffron

I went on a small charity dig today, to raise funds to buy equipment for a 7 year old girl that has had to endure three rare cancers each, three years apart. She is now fighting osteosarcoma and as a result has had to have one of her legs amputated. So as you can see a very good cause.

The day started well thanks to Kate with a breakfast consisting of sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding, tomato, mushrooms, onions (I think that was all :D )

First signal was a coin but totally threw me, unsurprisingly as I had never seen a coin with a crab on it previously!.

Spoiler!

Turns out it is a Baliwick of Guernsey penny (Elizibeth II on obverse).
Some examples on a certain well known site claim to be "rare" or even "very rare" and are available for £65 and £70 :thumbsup:
Sadly not true and they are also available for single figures :thumbdown:
Turns out it was my best find, although I did find about 10 other early decimal coins (I understand the one field had once been used for fairs).

But it was good to get out and see several faces I had not seen previously this year. But best of all we raised some money for the young girl.

I know Facebook groups get criticism from some (possibly rightly so in some cases), but this was run buy a small FB group which had run another event for her earlier this month but due to the limit of 40 meaning a few had been unable to attend the first event decided to run a second.

Evan
Attachments
crabpenny.JPG
Easylife

Now that is just extremely unlucky indeed health wise for that little girl in the lottery of life and a very good cause for those less fortunate. Just about everyone else is in a better state of health yet sometimes think that things are not so good for them, but in comparison just be thankful that this was not you and be grateful for having less minor ailments! I'm just saying how easy it is for many to forget just how valuable our health is until it's gone! :Thinking:

Fried congealed blood for breakfast is not quite my thing! But just how cool would it be if you had found that coin on the beach Evan? :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

Saffron wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:36 pm I went on a small charity dig today, to raise funds to buy equipment for a 7 year old girl that has had to endure three rare cancers each, three years apart. She is now fighting osteosarcoma and as a result has had to have one of her legs amputated. So as you can see a very good cause.

The day started well thanks to Kate with a breakfast consisting of sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding, tomato, mushrooms, onions (I think that was all :D )

First signal was a coin but totally threw me, unsurprisingly as I had never seen a coin with a crab on it previously!.

Spoiler!

Turns out it is a Baliwick of Guernsey penny (Elizibeth II on obverse).
Some examples on a certain well known site claim to be "rare" or even "very rare" and are available for £65 and £70 :thumbsup:
Sadly not true and they are also available for single figures :thumbdown:
Turns out it was my best find, although I did find about 10 other early decimal coins (I understand the one field had once been used for fairs).

But it was good to get out and see several faces I had not seen previously this year. But best of all we raised some money for the young girl.

I know Facebook groups get criticism from some (possibly rightly so in some cases), but this was run buy a small FB group which had run another event for her earlier this month but due to the limit of 40 meaning a few had been unable to attend the first event decided to run a second.

Evan
Never seen one of those before... Sounds like a pleasant day out for a very good cause! :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Never seen one of those before, Evan.
Glad you had a good day out and raised some funds for the little girl.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Jamesey1981

Until i found the spoiler bit (I use the forum on my phone so unless I zoom I don't always notice it, not complaining, just don't have the best eyesight!) I was racking my brains to try and work out where I had seen those crab pennies before, I was thinking Jersey, but didn't quite get to Guernsey!

Cool find, that's the sort of thing I like finding, I remember them from back then, but haven't seen one or thought of them for years, so it's nice to see one and to get the the old brain going again.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Saffron

While looking around at a silly time of night I came across an article of Channel Islands coinage and thought you might like to see the full range (as at 2010, credit coinsweekly.com).

It should be noted that they are not actually legal tender in the mainland UK (following from the Royal Mint site).
The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are Crown Dependencies of the United Kingdom. They have their own legislative and taxation systems and issue their own banknotes and coins. These, in common with United Kingdom coins, bear the portrait of Her Majesty The Queen. However, they are only legal tender within the Crown Dependencies themselves.

So this weekend I found a Guersey 1p which had been passed as legal tender (it was in a coinspill, the rest all being early deciamal coins), and last weekend I found a USA 25 cents that had been passed off as a 10p (they are exactly the same size, and again that was in a coinspill). From what I find in my change every now and again I know that this is not that unusual.

Evan
Attachments
Guernsey-coinage.JPG
Oxgirl

Wow that lot faired well. All the modern coins I find are pretty mullered :roll:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking