Hot rocks and iron with the Simplex

joemole

Does anyone else with a simplex have problems with hot rocks ( coke) and deep iron. They both come in all numbers and tones. I'm not slaggin the machine off at all. Its found some cracking stuff including gold and hammered coins. Just a pain when its picking coke and iron up.
DaveP

I don't think there's a machine available that doesn't get fooled by the odd bit of big deep iron. I don't have a Simplex but the more you get to know your machine the less you'll dig. Once you start your hole check it again and see if the signal changes. Often on arable soils I find even kicking away the top inch or so with your boot gives a more reliable signal.

Coke and hot rocks are different but the 'shape' of the sound gives both of them away most times. On my T2 they don't have a clear edge to the sound and sometimes have a "zip" to the sound - if that makes sense. The only hot rocks I struggle with are really tiny ones, about 1/4" in size. Luckily they are rare for me.

I suspect you are experiencing the same as many others and other machines. The challenge is how confident you become to leave it un-dug.
joemole

DaveP wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:25 pm I don't think there's a machine available that doesn't get fooled by the odd bit of big deep iron. I don't have a Simplex but the more you get to know your machine the less you'll dig. Once you start your hole check it again and see if the signal changes. Often on arable soils I find even kicking away the top inch or so with your boot gives a more reliable signal.

Coke and hot rocks are different but the 'shape' of the sound gives both of them away most times. On my T2 they don't have a clear edge to the sound and sometimes have a "zip" to the sound - if that makes sense. The only hot rocks I struggle with are really tiny ones, about 1/4" in size. Luckily they are rare for me.

I suspect you are experiencing the same as many others and other machines. The challenge is how confident you become to leave it un-dug.
Cheers. Yeah that zip sound is there but i just cant help digging everything. I'll walk away then turn back ..haha . Come home with loadsa scrap
Pete E

I have Racer 2 and the constant digging of coke became a real pain...Lots of people say you can tell coke and you can to a degree, but you still end up digging a lot on the bases of just incase...

On one bit of ground, it was full of the egg formed coke of various sizes..That stuff used to give a really good signal which was very difficult to tell from genuine targets with the Racer...
Easylife

joemole wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:36 pm Does anyone else with a simplex have problems with hot rocks ( coke) and deep iron. They both come in all numbers and tones. I'm not slaggin the machine off at all. Its found some cracking stuff including gold and hammered coins. Just a pain when its picking coke and iron up.
That doesn't just apply to the Simplex, all single frequency machines by definition have a problem with coke and iron regardless of make or model and that is a well known fact. Though there may be some work arounds to better help identify such in a rough way? Most manufacturers now are working towards simultaneous multi-frequency as it virtually eliminates that problem of both coke and iron and provides a far superior TID at depth. But single frequency will still find most targets, but is a PITA for digging coke and iron! When Minelab said that the Nox would make all single frequency detectors obsolete I didn't get it at first, but completely do now. So each to their own with whatever they are most comfortable with. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.