to clean or not to clean...?

HolzHammer

Evening All,

This popped out yesterday - quite a nice Henry III Long Cross . I'd usually give it the once over but the detail on this one is still quite good - the features and legends are still quite clear.

Normally I would....... would you?!

All the B
Alexander

P.S I have finally finished filming and editing my first vid! Please take a look from the link below if you have a mo or two... all (constructive!) criticism will be taken on board as I suspect its much needed!
Attachments
DSC_3556.jpeg
DSC_3553.jpeg
muddy mick

I would a bit but its each to their own, very nice hammered :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia

HolzHammer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:52 pm

P.S I have finally finished filming and editing my first vid! Please take a look from the link below if you have a mo or two... all (constructive!) criticism will be taken on board as I suspect its much needed!
I'd say you're a natural in front of the camera and I enjoyed watching your video. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Oxgirl

Loved it :Star: Please do more :thumbsup:

That speaker must have sent you crazy though :shock:

Good excuse to get the controller I would say. How was editing? And what did you use? I’m going to have a go one day, just for myself if nothing else :D

P.S. a light rub over with an eraser might clean up the coin enough. Not sure I’d do much more than that :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Jamesey1981

I enjoyed your video, don't know what you used to film it but the camera did well to cut out the wind noise, there was a point with a fair bit of wind noise and you were still clearly audible which is the important part.

Do you have a headphone splitter? If you do then you should be able to have your earbuds and the speaker plugged in at the same time, assuming it works, then you'll always have good audio which is more important than the audio for us, you're the one that needs to be able to hear the targets best to decide whether to dig, and the audio we hear on a youtube video will always sound a bit off anyway due to the compression and mucking about that YouTube's system does, it's good for your viewers to be able to hear it, but your audio is more important.

I've subscribed and I'll await the next one, it was entertaining and it didn't look like your first video, have to say well done, my first video was pants!

As for your hammered, I think it's up to you, I think I personally would give it a bit of a going over to pretty it up a bit, just to get a bit of silver showing through and pick out the detail, I think its tarnished rather than toned so I don't think it will affect the value too much to clean it, but that's an irrelevance if you don't plan to sell it anyway, although I know some that would leave it just as it is.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
shaggybfc

You're the poshest sounding detectorist I know :D :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

The hammered looks a little crusty which a quick zap may fix? But just a bit of spit and foil should bring out the highlights better. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

An awesome video Alexander, would never have guessed that was your first attempt. It flowed so naturally and kept the interest, don't change your format. :thumbsup:
And what a great coin to find too!
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

I'll head over and have a butchers at your vid later :thumbsup:

As others have said, maybe a light buffing to bring out the detail a little better maybe, but no more required than that
Oxgirl

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:10 am
Do you have a headphone splitter? If you do then you should be able to have your earbuds and the speaker plugged in at the same time, assuming it works, then you'll always have good audio which is more important than the audio for us, you're the one that needs to be able to hear the targets best to decide whether to dig, and the audio we hear on a youtube video will always sound a bit off anyway due to the compression and mucking about that YouTube's system does, it's good for your viewers to be able to hear it, but your audio is more important.
Genius idea! £3-4 and problem solved. You just need to find a belt mount for the speaker and job done :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 am Genius idea! £3-4 and problem solved. You just need to find a belt mount for the speaker and job done :thumbsup:
Good plan... I'm on it!
From past experience (albeit only a few days of it!) nothing is guaranteed to work until you try it out but here's hoping...
HolzHammer

Jamesey1981 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:10 am I enjoyed your video, don't know what you used to film it but the camera did well to cut out the wind noise, there was a point with a fair bit of wind noise and you were still clearly audible which is the important part.

I've subscribed and I'll await the next one, it was entertaining and it didn't look like your first video, have to say well done, my first video was pants!

As for your hammered, I think it's up to you, I think I personally would give it a bit of a going over to pretty it up a bit, just to get a bit of silver showing through and pick out the detail, I think its tarnished rather than toned so I don't think it will affect the value too much to clean it, but that's an irrelevance if you don't plan to sell it anyway, although I know some that would leave it just as it is.
Thanks for all that Jamesey - very helpful.
(Also See Above)
HolzHammer

Easylife wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:51 am An awesome video Alexander, would never have guessed that was your first attempt. It flowed so naturally and kept the interest, don't change your format. :thumbsup:
And what a great coin to find too!
Thanks Easy, much appreciated!
HolzHammer

TerraEnglandia wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:37 pm I'd say you're a natural in front of the camera and I enjoyed watching your video. :thumbsup:
Thanks! Likewise!
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:53 pm Loved it :Star: Please do more :thumbsup:

That speaker must have sent you crazy though :shock:

Good excuse to get the controller I would say. How was editing? And what did you use? I’m going to have a go one day, just for myself if nothing else :D

P.S. a light rub over with an eraser might clean up the coin enough. Not sure I’d do much more than that :thumbsup:
you should give it ago... the editing is a bit of a pain... i used to make skiing vids for fun and remember what a slog that was too.... At the moment I'm using iMovie which is pretty simple and does everything i need - though TerraEnglandia advises Davinci Resolve which is pretty manageable too...