Never ignore footprints, a message for newbies

muddy mick

I was just relating to a gold hammered i found amongst many footprints in another post and thought mmm start another post of the subject of footprints aimed at newbies, and maybe even more seasoned detectorists
If your on a club dig or rally or just out with a few mates, never ever be put off by footprints, thinking no point detecting there as someone has been there, 9 times out of 10 its more likely mates have gathered together for a chat, comparing finds, cig break or someone has gone to show someone else a find or put their detector down and nipped round the back of a hedge for a jimmy riddle :lol: etc etc etc, the list is endless,
I have been in this hobby nion 30 years and found some amazing finds in areas others wouldnt dream of going, going one more iv found hammered in holes others have missed, if in doubt dig it :thumbsup:
Dave77

I found a Hammered on a rally as the guy who missed it was walking in front of at great speed (think sprint),
I had a cheap Quest X10 and bang- sharp signal and my first hammered coin.
Needless to say the sprinter wasn`t very happy :pulling hair out: . The rain came down and the detector flooded and that was my only find.
Thanks,
Dave
Manticore
Nox 800
muddy mick

Dave77 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:57 am I found a Hammered on a rally as the guy who missed it was walking in front of at great speed (think sprint),
I had a cheap Quest X10 and bang- sharp signal and my first hammered coin.
Needless to say the sprinter wasn`t very happy :pulling hair out: . The rain came down and the detector flooded and that was my only find.
Brilliant result i laugh at a lot of Deus users, and others virtually running, its comical watching them :lol:
Dave77

muddy mick wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:03 pm Brilliant result i laugh at a lot of Deus users, and others virtually running, its comical watching them :lol:
That was me when I had my Deus, at 6`5" even walking slowly is too fast :roll: :roll:
Thanks,
Dave
Manticore
Nox 800
Jamesey1981

I was on a Facebook rally once, picked up a nice target, then spotted that it was in the middle of a plug that someone had dug, flipped it out to see the shotgun cartridge that the lazy so and so had reburied.

Picked it out of the hole and dropped it into my scrap pouch while cursing them under my breath, ran the detector over the hole again, (I never fill a hole without checking) and there's still a target there.

About two inches below where the cartridge had been I found my first roman coin.

No one owned up to it, but there was a bloke looking pretty sour....
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Pete E

muddy mick wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:49 am
I have been in this hobby nion 30 years and found some amazing finds in areas others wouldnt dream of going, going one more iv found hammered in holes others have missed, if in doubt dig it :thumbsup:
Good advice..Sadly in the club I am in I have noticed that one or more members salt many of the holes they did with some of their trash...

Initially I thought it was somebody missing stuff, but after re digging several holes on the last club dig, it was obvious what was going on and that it was a deliberate ploy...I am not sure of their motivation, but it just makes me glad most of my detecting is on my own or with a friend....
TheFenTiger

Its a bit sad people have to be bashed for the detector they use. Thought this site would have been better for that.
Dave
Littleboot

Some of these posts brings a lot back to me. It has just been me (and occasionally Pete) detecting for yonks now. I sometimes get a tad wistful about club digs and rallies. And then I remember the unfilled holes pock-marking a sprouting crop, chunks of scrap littering half replaced clods in pasture, people literally elbowing me off my line, etc etc etc. :lol:
Anyone who digs a hole and doesn't retrieve a find then they have only one person to be sour with.
I learned not to be put off by the fact an area had lots of footprints on it. I saw too many folk on club digs with coils the size of dustbin lids swishing up and down the fields with a swing like a pendulum. :lol:
Live long and prosper.
Oxgirl

I rarely find anything good on a dig with others. Even with one other person I struggle. I need to relax and go slow and I can only do that on my own. You are right a Deus can be easy to swing fast but those people with the big coils often have them quite a few inches off the ground too. Waste of time.

I hadn't realised until I went on one dig the etiquette of a rally too. Luckily on the first one I went on a guy started cutting across my line horizontally to my row and found a signal. He left it and said 'sorry that's yours' . I looked confused until he explained you don't dig on someone else's line where there were obvious crop rows. Luckily thetarget was just a button but it was good to know there are unspoken etiquettes to follow.

Although I'm not sure others have all had the memo on that one. But then they get told to fill holes and take their rubbish home too so I guess etiquette ain't going to be high on their agenda!

I shall not be put off by footprints though - advice taken note of :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

TheFenTiger wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:13 pm Its a bit sad people have to be bashed for the detector they use. Thought this site would have been better for that.
Not sure they are being bashed for using a Deus, more that it's lightness allows people to get a bit carried away so to speak...

Deus was not my choice of machine, but I would not run anybody down for using one, or for using any other machine either for that matter...
Dave77

TheFenTiger wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:13 pm Its a bit sad people have to be bashed for the detector they use. Thought this site would have been better for that.
If you are talking about the Deus, my mate has one and has found lots of coins with it. He even has the nickname Jammy Balls :mrgreen:
I found when I had one I spent too much time messing around with the settings and finding nothing.
Thanks,
Dave
Manticore
Nox 800
Dave The Slave

This even works on the beach, where i normally grid sections.
Have found coins in my own footprints from the previous row, just by overlapping my swing slightly.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Littleboot

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:49 pm This even works on the beach, where i normally grid sections.
Have found coins in my own footprints from the previous row, just by overlapping my swing slightly.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Lol...i have found things in Pete's footprints countless times. It has got to the point that I make a beeline for them. :lol:
Live long and prosper.
Saffron

muddy mick wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:49 am I was just relating to a gold hammered i found amongst many footprints in another post and thought mmm start another post of the subject of footprints aimed at newbies, and maybe even more seasoned detectorists
If your on a club dig or rally or just out with a few mates, never ever be put off by footprints, thinking no point detecting there as someone has been there, 9 times out of 10 its more likely mates have gathered together for a chat, comparing finds, cig break or someone has gone to show someone else a find or put their detector down and nipped round the back of a hedge for a jimmy riddle :lol: etc etc etc, the list is endless,
A lot of sense in this post. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Even where the footprints mark where people have been detecting, rather than taking a break, the majority of people do not overlap swings and use a sawtooth detecting motion leaving gaps where the goodies can be.

About 3 years ago I was on a fair sized rally, after lunch some more fields were opened up. Most people charged straight into them, but one chap was talking so missed the initial stampede. After a while he went into the first field and a few yards in got a good signal but then spotted it was from a hole that had been backfilled, he thought it was such a good signal that he would check anyway ..... it was a gold sovereign :shock: :Party: But sadly as others have said normally its just scrap that people leave behind.

Evan
Kenleyboy

I was on a club dig a couple of years ago and another member and myself were watching a chap walking the borders swinging his detector like a pendulum . I mentioned this to my fellow club member and he remarked that he had already tried to speak with him about his technique in a very tactful way and what he was missing but was told to "foof orf " and mind his own business :shock: The fellow club member proceeded to follow him and halfway round picked up a cut half :thumbsup: The other chap was not best pleased and couldn't understand how he missed it !