Rare bottle from pond dig and others

Kenleyboy

We had a bounty of finds from this pond and most are cleaned up . I have chosen the more recent cleaned up bottles as there are plenty of doubles so no point in posting repetitive images of the same bottle .
The Codd bottles are the hardest to clean partly due to the marble in the neck and its hard to get any decent scrubbing utensil in there so they are best left to soak for a few days in bleach . More stubborn stains will need to be removed with copper beads and water and then a vigorous shake and the motion of spinning beads eventually takes the stubborn stains out .
These Codds although not super rare are still hard to find and both pairs show the larger 10 oz and the smaller 6 oz versions . On the left are Blomfields of East Dereham , a local company from the turn of the century and to the right are the Hudsons another local company .
blomfields codds and hudsons codds 3.jpg
Following on from the same theme with regards to local companies , two clean stoneware ginger beer bottles , both from the same stable and both desirable additions for any local collection . Once again not super rare but still hard to come by and in such good condition . I have only ever dug one other Hudsons ginger beer in the last five years and the Blomfields was a first for me . I did dig one other but this was broken sadly .
The two Clarkes stoneware pots come up from time to time and printed stuff is always desirable and are neat and quirky with the embellished type describing the typical Victorian magical curing powers inside these little vessels , it was all about advertising with the best remedies available for those everyday aches and pains .
Two other nice bottles once again local , Cooper Brown Dereham mineral waters . The small flat bottomed skittle is a nice bottle and if it were in green then it would have been very rare , they do surface but not often .
Blomfield skittle .jpg
Finally , probably the best find as far as rare bottles go , this neat Soda bottle from the Hudsons stable . Unrecorded and so far none others have been found . In all my time digging in Norfolk and amongst other Norfolk diggers , this one bottle has never been seen . If I am brutally honest , it isn't my sort of bottle although it is nice to have been lucky enough to have dug what is essentially a rare one . Once again , these small out of the way ponds are always worth a visit because they do throw up some gems .
bottle rare .jpg
Attachments
blomfield and hudson gb.jpg
Mucky

Hey Thanks for the follow up.. Glad you found a rare one. God knows you deserve it!
Thanks again. :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Why arent the soda bottles found then?.....
Not many produced or maybe they just didnt fare well when thrown away?

The skittle bottle, is that actually like a squashed design?....that does look quite cool

Great finds from a sloppy pond though :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:25 pm Why arent the soda bottles found then?.....
Not many produced or maybe they just didnt fare well when thrown away?

The skittle bottle, is that actually like a squashed design?....that does look quite cool

Great finds from a sloppy pond though :thumbsup:
Plenty of soda bottles found but apparently none from this particular company . Quite why that would be could be anyones guess , maybe a short trial run which didn't prove a succesfull venture plus this company was very short-lived so their output was small making their products quite rare or higher up in the collecting stakes .
A lot of products are archived so when something never seen before suddenly bobs up it sends a few shockwaves through the hardened collecting community :lol:
The skittle bottle has a flat base but I think you may be referring to the actual shape , my photographic skills . Must re adjust my lens on my phone :thumbsup:
muddy mick

Great reading, very interesting :thumbsup:
Ladybird66

Absolutely fantastic Paul. I s’pose bottles are much like coins. Some Monarchs were short lived, (or reigned) so finding one of their coins is like finding a meteorite. I’m not much impressed with ginger beers but those two are really very nice and look to be in perfect condition.
Your moment of fame in the collectors world and well deserved. Always nice to see the before & after pics.

Thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: you’re a :Star:
Kenleyboy

Ladybird66 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:49 am Absolutely fantastic Paul. I s’pose bottles are much like coins. Some Monarchs were short lived, (or reigned) so finding one of their coins is like finding a meteorite. I’m not much impressed with ginger beers but those two are really very nice and look to be in perfect condition.
Your moment of fame in the collectors world and well deserved. Always nice to see the before & after pics.

Thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: you’re a :Star:
It is funny how tastes differ , I love the stoneware ginger beers yet my digging buddy is not overly bothered with them and much prefers beer bottles which don't do it for me , we are all different and rightly so . These two ginger beers are in good order . Its an odd thought to think that a 100 plus years ago someone took their last swig and then lobbed it into the pond without a second thought and never believing that someone would come along and retrieve it . :thumbsup:
Easylife

Great finds, always nice to find something rare or unusual. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Great to see the cleaned up bottles, pots, Paul.
Congratulations on finding an unrecorded example, theoretically you now have the image rights to that example.£££`s. ( 1st time i have managed to use the £ sign, apparently keyboard was set up in American pigeon English, which my youngest has just fixed).
Interesting to hear about, WHY, certain bottles are rarer than others. Limited production runs, flavours,sizes, not being popular.
Have to agree with you on the Stoneware being preferable over the plain glass. Anything with a design or wording, just enhances the object.
Once again, thanks for a very informative post.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Ladybird66

Kenleyboy wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 pm It is funny how tastes differ , I love the stoneware ginger beers yet my digging buddy is not overly bothered with them and much prefers beer bottles which don't do it for me , we are all different and rightly so . These two ginger beers are in good order . Its an odd thought to think that a 100 plus years ago someone took their last swig and then lobbed it into the pond without a second thought and never believing that someone would come along and retrieve it . :thumbsup:
I often wonder what today’s throw outs will look like in 100 years time. For sure they’ll still be lurking in the undergrowth pretending to be homes for snails. :evil: