Can we talk about finds pouches?

Easylife

Field_Marshall wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:56 pm I use an army surplus pouch, lined with a cut down plastic container, a shoulder strap and another at the waist, ...had it years and never let me down... :thumbsup:
It sounds perfect. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

TerraEnglandia wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:20 pm Any recommendations on good finds pouches? :Thinking:

Is there a good one out there, one that doesn't cost silly money and preferably doesn't have zips?

I've only had a couple so far, the first one being a standard Garrett pouch (with a zip) and another that I bought from an ebay seller who deals in quality detecting bits and pieces. I'm still using the latter, but it quite literally began falling apart after just a few hunts. I should point out that I got a refund without any problems.

What are you using and would you recommend it?
If you want bomb proof at a reasonable price, you're probably looking at an army surplus pouch of some sort..These become even more viable if you are willing to mod them....None of the Made in China finds pouches I have seen here in the UK are anywhere near as tough as these and that includes the ones I own...

That said I am using a Jack Pyke Sporting Clays pouch for about £13 delivered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322432726039?c ... gKIwPD_BwE

It's a simple two pocket design made of 600 nylon...I have had about 12 months use out of it and it's holding up ok although looking a little tatty..At the price point I think it been ok. They do similar canvas and leather versions, but I liked the design of the nylon one better.

I was also bought a SHRXY pouch as a gift but have not used it yet. It's nylon construction is about the same overall quality as my Jack Pyke, but they retail for about twice the price although they are about 25% bigger than the Jack Pyke pouch..

Although I have not used it, I felt it prudent to reinforce the stitching on the belt loops but that was literally a 15 minute job will needle and thread so no big deal.

I have seen a few high quality finds pouches on some of the American forums, but they will cost well over £50 by the time they are shipped and delivered, plus you may have taxes on top of that..

Besides the various tool and garden pouches people use, it's also worth googling window cleaners pouches as when I was looking I saw a couple of those that looked like they might be suitable...
Ladybird66

Being a stringent (stingy) lady I made mine and have been using it for probably 11 of the 12 years I’ve detected. Cost - nothing. Time to make - an afternoon.

How ? A cannibalised unused back pack. 600 waterproof. Cut out the front pouch with a bit of extra of the pack at the top. Turned in the top bit to make a suspension loop for belt to go through. The belt was also scrounged off an old laptop carry case. A nice strong hand or shoulder strap complete with nylon clips each end.
I wear it around my waist but could expand for shoulder. Carries everything including plasters, ibuprofen, toilet paper, field map, letter of consent, magnet, Pin Pointer, pencil & a little note pad, small round lense case for that ‘special’ coin (when I find it) my phone, small drink bottle and a big pocket for general junk.
My only gripe is when I put all the junk in, it tends to slide to the front when I dig so I empty at the next hedge & start all over again. Sounds like it should be heavy but it’s not.
And it’s my favourite colour, purple :)
TerraBritannia

Thanks a lot everyone, there are some great suggestions to consider. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Pete E

Using a cut down plastic container as a liner is an excellent idea! Not sure I will be able to find anything that will fit my Jack Pyke pouch, but I will surely be looking!

Edited to add I have just ordered one of these as a back up for when my present one fails...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/French-Army- ... 101224.m-1

I am not sure if it will fit on a belt as is, but it looks easy enough to modify if not...It should also take a liner easy enough too..And best of all, they are only £8 delivered! A very Yorkshireman friendly solution I think! :P
Junk and Disorderly

Have tried a fair few over the years,but the one that is still going strong is my old faithful Garrett one which i guess i bought well over 10 years ago,cannot see any reason on it breaking in anyway for many more years either.Its used on a weekly basis in rain,mud and snow and still keeps on doing its designed job.

Some of these fancy ones that strap around the waist and leg strap as well they look nice but i personally dont think they will last as long as my old Garrett one.
TDI Pro,T2,Nox,Deus,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Mirage PI,Crossbow PI,DFX,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Arado120b and others.
Dave77

Pete E wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:06 am Using a cut down plastic container as a liner is an excellent idea! Not sure I will be able to find anything that will fit my Jack Pyke pouch, but I will surely be looking!
I use this container in my pouch. I also taped it all round for extra strength.
Attachments
2020-08-26_09-47-43.jpg
Thanks,
Dave
Manticore
Nox 800
TerraBritannia

Junk and Disorderly wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:32 am
Some of these fancy ones that strap around the waist and leg strap as well they look nice but i personally dont think they will last as long as my old Garrett one.
That sounds like the one that I have and the lining began to flake off in no time, I've had a cut down plastic milk container in the main section to hold the finds in.

It looks to be of a similar construction to the shoulder bag that Cath is using, even the same seller in the link. Have you not had any issues with your bag Cath?
Minelab Equinox 800
GeoffBristol

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:34 pm Even better get a 4 pint/ 2 litre plastic milk bottle. Slice a sharp knife in just below the handle and then get scissors and cut round. They are brilliant - soft enough not to be sharp or split if they get squashed but hard enough to keep their shape. Just pop it out and you can even swill water in it to give a quick clean then dry and pop back in. No bag cleaning needed and stops the base of the bag getting much wear too :thumbsup:

I should do a video on that!
I used to do that to make nail pouches when I was in the building game.
Geoff
Pete E

Just a quick follow up on an earlier post about the army surplus pouch I ordered earlier in the thread.

It turned up today and it's actually the French F2 Respirator pouch..

Mine appears to be new and unissued with just a couple of small marks from storage.

It's made from butyl nylon and looks solid enough and will be easy to wipe clean of winter mud.

Size wise, the main body is approx 12" tall and about 5 1/2" square, plus there are two external pockets, either of which should hold a tabacco tin sized finds box.

It does have belt loop or it could be worn as a shoulder bag and it look durable and well made..

The only down side for me is that it seems a little bulky when worn the wait and I think I prefer the flatter style finds pouches.

It's a good pouch though, and I will no doubt be using it for something else...
TerraBritannia

Thanks for the update Peter. I asked about pouches on my recent YT video and The Searcher pouches seem to be quite popular.
Minelab Equinox 800
Pete E

TerraEnglandia wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:28 pm Thanks for the update Peter. I aksed about pouches on my recent YT video and The Searcher pouches seem to be quite popular.
Funnily enough, I ve looked at those online, but could not see any mention of what material is used ie 600D or 1000D? If you come across that info, I'd be very interested to know....
Oxgirl

TerraEnglandia wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:14 pm That sounds like the one that I have and the lining began to flake off in no time, I've had a cut down plastic milk container in the main section to hold the finds in.

It looks to be of a similar construction to the shoulder bag that Cath is using, even the same seller in the link. Have you not had any issues with your bag Cath?
No there's nothing to flake of on mine. I'm on my second one as the first one had started to wear through on the bottom but the new one (with the plastic milk bottle base inside) is still perfect. Been washed a couple of times too👍
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
TerraBritannia

Thanks Cath. :thumbsup:
Minelab Equinox 800