Always worth a daily look on PAS.

Dave The Slave

Normally have a look at the new finds recorded on PAS each day.
Spotted this little gem. Not something i have seen before
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... id/1009694
Probably one of the most recent objects to record but definitely worth doing.
Hope this was of interest, :thumbsup:
Dave.
jcmaloney

Certainly is. :thumbsup:

Its nice when locally important "stuff" makes the cut even if it is "modern".
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/745102
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
Littleboot

Thanks for pointing this out, Dave! A gem indeed. It is a real piece of history and personal as well. We are (just) within scope of being able to contact close relatives of people who served.....by that I mean people close enough to have actually known the individual. We are on the cusp of that slipping away into the dust of time. So things like this are precious because of when they were found as much as when they were lost.
In very few years time the personal aspect of these finds will be less tangible...yes there will be records, but no-one close enough to actually fill in the gaps.
I often muse about some of the evocative older finds I have....we all do. I have a seal, crudely made and 12th century at the latest, which says Ricard, son of Anton. And it is at once personal but elusive. The names tease me but cannot conjure more than imagination. Finds that can really be fleshed-out are fascinating.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Dave The Slave

jcmaloney wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:48 pm Certainly is. :thumbsup:

Its nice when locally important "stuff" makes the cut even if it is "modern".
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/745102
Your link is a great example JC.
Tangible proof of existence due to a detectorists find.
LDV remember the armbands on Dads Army but in perhaps 40 years time possibly no one will watch it, as the generation who watched it initially will be on their last legs.
As Jan says,
" it is a real piece of history and personal as well. We are (just) within scope of being able to contact close relatives of people who served.....by that I mean people close enough to have actually known the individual. We are on the cusp of that slipping away into the dust of time. So things like this are precious because of when they were found as much as when they were lost.
In very few years time the personal aspect of these finds will be less tangible...yes there will be records, but no-one close enough to actually fill in the gaps. "
Although PAS is predominantly for finds of 300 years old, it is good that every so often something more modern is uncovered that is deemed worthy of recording, due to the Social History context.
Thanks for the replies JC and Jan, :thumbsup:
Dave.