Assorted finds!

HolzHammer

Morning All,
I feel i'm on a bit of a roll at the moment and i don't feel guilty as "I'm worth it" as the ad says! What goes round comes round and like all of you I've had some very lean times up to recently... so make hay thats what i say!

I uploaded a crime watch style re-enactment of the finding of the celtic silver unit on youtube! (see below)

The rest are a nice full crotal "ringer" first i've found in a long time. a William III half penny ( I've not found one before though a few farthings.. I believe they are not that common) Viccy Half penny and shilling, Roman bracelet fragment(?) little bronze "tooth" - definitely sharper at the edged thicker down the "spine" - a big, mangled fibula but nice to be able to clearly see how it was made. A very grand fibula catch and of course the silver unit; Tasciovanus "Horseman" (Spink 238).

I'm off out again before it starts raining!
All the Best
Alexander
Attachments
DSC_3620.jpeg
DSC_3618.jpeg
DSC_3617.jpeg
Jamesey1981

Love that silver unit, I was expecting to see it on here pretty soon after your short video!

The sons of the king depicted on your coin, Cunobelinus and Epaticcus who ruled after he died in AD9 were the ones that expanded their territory into the lands ruled by the Atrebates, taking the capital Silchester and eventually driving Verica, (the king on the silver unit I found recently) to seek refuge and ask for the assistance of the Emperor.
You could argue that the invasion would have happened anyway, but it is very likely that these events contributed to the invasion of Britain by the Romans. :)

That coin was minted at a very interesting time in our history. :thumbsup:
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Oxgirl

Oh wow, wow, 🤩

Stunning find. Just shows you losses are often in the quiet areas too. Good on you for going through that area carefully, you were rewarded handsomely :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:18 am Oh wow, wow, 🤩

Stunning find. Just shows you losses are often in the quiet areas too. Good on you for going through that area carefully, you were rewarded handsomely :thumbsup:
...there is so little left in the "good" area its also a case of needs much!
HolzHammer

Jamesey1981 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:32 am Love that silver unit, I was expecting to see it on here pretty soon after your short video!

The sons of the king depicted on your coin, Cunobelinus and Epaticcus who ruled after he died in AD9 were the ones that expanded their territory into the lands ruled by the Atrebates, taking the capital Silchester and eventually driving Verica, (the king on the silver unit I found recently) to seek refuge and ask for the assistance of the Emperor.
You could argue that the invasion would have happened anyway, but it is very likely that these events contributed to the invasion of Britain by the Romans. :)

That coin was minted at a very interesting time in our history. :thumbsup:
....indeed! Thanks Jamesey
Dave The Slave

Good selection of finds , Alex.
Not really into coins BUT i do like the galloping horse, with shield, which i don`t think i have seen before.
Great find, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

Thats a great find sir... :thumbsup:
Was that on the same field as your "experimental" video took place?
TerraBritannia

You have a cracking permission there Alexander. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your detecting videos. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
HolzHammer

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:31 pm Thats a great find sir... :thumbsup:
Was that on the same field as your "experimental" video took place?
no but they are both rather done... finds are there but they take some finding... I went back to the "celtic" field this morning for two hours and found nothing!
figgis

Great find, that man :thumbsup:

As said above, anything can turn up where you lest expect it and even if that's all that turns up for you from that area, it was well worth investigating.

I've got a couple of incredibly quiet fields which I generally ignore, too. Perhaps I shouldn't :D
Easylife

Great finds, especially the silver unit. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Paint

Well done a Celtic unit is high on my wish list nice to see them come up :thumbsup:
blackfeet

Very nice silver unit I've never found one on my wish list