Do you have field that just seems right????

Pete E

Do any of you have a field that looks "right" but just doesn't produce?

I have a paddock next to a large Georgian house that has a walk through it up to what was an orinimental wood and lake. The paddock itself runs next to the drive to the house, and has the obligatory couple of large trees in it..It's reasonably flat and well drained.

All in all it looks right to produce some nice finds, but it's a struggle to find anything! A couple of hours detecting today resulted in one toasted penny, a musket ball, and two buttons, plus lots of rubbish.?

I keep returning thinking it really should produce something, but it never does...
Oxgirl

My best ever field took 3 trips before I found anything. Then once it started producing there were finds everywhere ! For me the change came with a hay cut followed by a hungry herd of cows that got the grass super short.

Otherwise investigate if its ever had top soil added or been detected before? I guess it could just be a field with little footfall but I’ve always believed (well since Littleboot told me) the truism that every field contains silver. In my experience they always do but I guess it’s how much time you want to invest to find it. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

I wish every field contained gold though - now that would be nice :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:16 pm My best ever field took 3 trips before I found anything. Then once it started producing there were finds everywhere ! For me the change came with a hay cut followed by a hungry herd of cows that got the grass super short.

Otherwise investigate if its ever had top soil added or been detected before? I guess it could just be a field with little footfall but I’ve always believed (well since Littleboot told me) the truism that every field contains silver. In my experience they always do but I guess it’s how much time you want to invest to find it. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

I wish every field contained gold though - now that would be nice :D
I don't think this particular field has been detected to any degree as I do find plenty of modern bits and bobs. After several visits, it's now been relegated to the Field of Last Resort...I was only on it today as the grass is too long on my other fields...
figgis

On one of my permissions there's a field, the top end of which is within half a mile of a Roman road and it has a very old footpath running across it, also near the top. So far, it's yielded nothing other than a Caracalla cut half (and that was right down at the bottom end).

Not given up on it yet though :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

I have a similar field, with a known Roman settlement about half mile away (atcf), close to civil war activity, R&F in the next field, has a well, a stream, right on the outskirts of a very busy medieval market town and, It’s never been detected before. Sounds perfect right? I’ve invested 40+ hours on this pasture field and other than modern bits and pieces, my best return is a G3 3 shilling bank token that looked like it had been in a fire.

I know there just has to be other items there, but they must be just outside my detector depth. One day the conditions will be perfect and Boom.... it will be like OGs field.

Don’t give up on it. You have to work through the modern rubbish to get to the nice finds - they will be there. Good luck.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
DaveP

It wasn't so long ago that good loam topsoil was worth a lot. I know of a number of farms, including one of my permissions, where whole fields were stripped of topsoil. Makes you wonder what little gems were transported far and wide.
DaveP

Here's the LIDAR of a farm where the field with an arrow was stripped for topsoil. I asked the owner why the difference in the LIDAR image compared to some other fields, which they had never seen, and the reply was "Grandfather sold off the topsoil!" It's now nice, green horse paddocks.
Attachments
Lidar.jpg
Pete E

I don't think that's the case with my field, but I did enquire permission on a large field where something similar had happened, only the soil had been scrapped and sold to allow a large temp "cement works" of some sort to be built as part of the construction of a local by-pass that ran near by...

The "cement works" was eventually removed and the area regraded and restored to a field.... Needless to say I gave that a miss!
Ladybird66

The most credible explanation is ‘landscaping’. Have a look at some if Capability Browns works of art. Whole estates transformed and new landscapes created for the enjoyment of its new, very rich , owners.
I saw a program about such amazing transformations, one of which was the complete removal of a hill that spoilt the view.
As you mention a large Georgian house this could be the reason nothing old is turning up. Levelled off or built up. Either way it means finds will be few and far between.
What was there before the house ? Have you checked out old records ?
I have quite a few fields the ‘look right’ but don’t produce. But I’m pretty sure they’ve only ever been grazed for centuries and Shepherds or Farm workers weren’t in the top paid (if paid at all) jobs. One field I detect has only ever given up a Victorian half penny. There was definitely a structure there in the past which has since been listed as a defended farm house. Go figure !
Like you when times are desperate I still go back, determined there must be something there. I’ll never learn :roll:
Daz2110

Pete E wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:58 pm Do any of you have a field that looks "right" but just doesn't produce?

I have a paddock next to a large Georgian house that has a walk through it up to what was an orinimental wood and lake. The paddock itself runs next to the drive to the house, and has the obligatory couple of large trees in it..It's reasonably flat and well drained.

All in all it looks right to produce some nice finds, but it's a struggle to find anything! A couple of hours detecting today resulted in one toasted penny, a musket ball, and two buttons, plus lots of rubbish.?

I keep returning thinking it really should produce something, but it never does...
I have some permission which on old maps, has potential. However, it hadn't produced anything exciting. But one summer evening last year I literally popped out for a couple of hours, just for the sake of it....... I came home with my first ever gold coin and a silver hammered.

Your permission Will produce something exciting when you least expect it. Keep at it. It is there, you just haven't gone over it yet 😉
Littleboot

Yes, had loads of fields that seem surefire find-fests that turned out to be stubborn. :lol: i think we all have.
A blank like yours can't be put down to footfall being perhaps limited. I have fields that are truly in the back of beyond and they do still produce coins and buttons and buckles.
It could be the finds are deep and the soil conditions are not right. It can take a long time for moisture to penetrate to any depth....it can still be dry down where the finds are.
I think we can be tricked by a few big trees and a Georgian house into thinking the landscape hasn't changed much. Soil could have gone out... as others have speculated. Equally, soil could have come in. I was raised near the remains of a Georgian hall. The stable block survived and was rather grand with a belfry...but the house had been demolished in the thirties. The local quarry had used what had been the lawn and riverside area as a 'filter bed' until the 70's. Then it was restored to pasture and a friend bought the stable block and converted it to a luxury house. The quarry was closed by then and some areas of the landscape had been restored.
I knew that any older finds in the paddock were under 4 feet of marl and sand. But there was one chap who thought he'd been clever in detecting it from under my nose. But I simply smiled at his crowing and of course had the last laugh. :lol:
If I were you Pete I'd concentrate at the fringes of the field.....near the hedge or fence and around the trees. They are less likely to have been affected by any messing around with the soil.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Steve RC

Fields of last resort - mmm got a few of them.
figgis

But kind of nice to have as somewhere to go, eh Steve?