Is this a military badge ??

joemole

I'm not sure if this is a military badge or furniture decoration. Cant find it on the net so its probably the latter . Any ideas ?
20200828_170001.jpg
Been cleaned in the barrelling machine
Been cleaned in the barrelling machine
DaveP

Are there letters top centre? Looks like - - S S -
joemole

DaveP wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:28 pm Are there letters top centre? Looks like - - S S -
No letters and no crown just 2 union jack flags .
Saffron

I am fairly certain it is NOT military.

I am willing to put a decent bet on it being merchant shipping (first choice) or yachting /sailing club (second choice) related.
Firstly nearly all cases where you have a pennant "swallow-tail" design like that are shipping line or yachting /sailing club.
Secondly you have the two anchors.

A lot of the shipping lines sold items to remind passengers of the trip (aka increase profits!), to me it looks like a brooch that would have been bought onboard, rather than crew related.

FYI: By "shipping line", there were hundreds of these that just did local areas, in my case along the coast of the Bristol Channel using little steamers, it does not have to be a big transatlatic line.

Evan
joemole

Saffron wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:49 pm I am fairly certain it is NOT military.

I am willing to put a decent bet on it being merchant shipping (first choice) or yachting /sailing club (second choice) related.
Firstly nearly all cases where you have a pennant "swallow-tail" design like that are shipping line or yachting /sailing club.
Secondly you have the two anchors.

A lot of the shipping lines sold items to remind passengers of the trip (aka increase profits!), to me it looks like a brooch that would have been bought onboard, rather than crew related.

FYI: By "shipping line", there were hundreds of these that just did local areas, in my case along the coast of the Bristol Channel using little steamers, it does not have to be a big transatlatic line.

Evan
Loads of info there mate . Thankyou . I collect military stuff so thatll be going in a different box👍