Opportunity Nox Day 2: The Rally and The Second Worst Thing That Can Happen To a Detectorist

Dave77

Saffron wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:41 am Like the comment about no sound due to having turned the volume right down when you had the Nox in the house.
:silent: :silent:
Honestly I have never done that ......
But to avoid the noise when I did the one update I reduced the sensitivity to 3, so detector did not pick up all the metal in the house.
On the next session after a short while detecting, I was not impressed with the update as not even an iron grunt. :thumbdown:
However to be safe checked my settings in case I had changed any by accident.
Sensitivity 3 :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I am also certain that we are not the only 2 to do something like that .... but will others admit it?

In response to Dave77's question I have idea what that item is, but IMHO it should head for the scrap bin. :thumbsup:

Evan
I was out a few days ago with my wifes nox and I couldn`t figure out why there was no sound, tried a reset on Field 1 but didn`t help. Light bulb moment, I checked the volume and it was at 0. :o Now working again. I put it down to old age,..............
Thanks,
Dave
Manticore
Nox 800
samuraitrev

Here's the details:

Date of hunt: Sunday the 30th of August 2020
Ground: Pasture and deep plough, high iron contamination
Detector: Minelab Equinox 800 v.3.0 with 15" coil
Hunt Time: 3 hours.

It Never Rains...
I'm going to keep this short as I typed out a mini novel last week. I'd forgotten to log on so I logged on then found my entire post (that had taken me around 2 hours got wiped :pulling hair out: )

I picked up my detecting buddy M, and we headed out for adventure. We arrived there only to be told that we had been told the wrong place. We were given a new postcode and off we went again. We arrived at the correct location and spoke to the organiser who advised us to try the pasture field next to the (drum roll) ROMAN ROAD. Admittedly, I took this revelation with a modicum of skepticism but I was willing to give it my best. Within moments my disbelief was challenged (insert sarcasm) as a wonderful 19th century blank corroded copper alloy button turned up :roll: Par for the course so on I went. The buttons started appearing thick and fast with the odd belting signal of a eye ointment bottle (I call them squeezies). With my time honoured prayer I uttered aloud, "Spirits of yesteryear take me to where the treasure appears." (Yes, I do actually say this.) As of yet, the spirits have remained unavailable for assistance or comment but I need all the help I can get. Time for the next field...

Adventures within the Deep Plough
If blessed with excellent balance, a tricep like Schwarzenegger and the patience of Mother Theresa this maybe the place for you. I found myself struggling with the 15" coil and felt like a broken ankle was a very real possibility. I loved the fact that the farmer had just ploughed it and artefacts could be really close to the surface but I found it more trouble than it was worth. I managed about half an hour on it until I'd had enough. I take my hat off to folks who stick at it but it wasn't for me. As it happened most folks didn't spend long on there.

Mid-day Stubble
The next field I tried was full of stubble and again eventually problematic for the 15" coil. It became comparable to a never ending arm wrestling match with Hulk Hogan. With all the will and strength in the world the stubble will eventually tire your arm out if your pushing through it. I got a small signal in the middle of the path (which other detectorists had done) and I dug down about 10" and pulled up a lovely Roman spindle whorl. This did encourage me and gave some credence to the organisers words. However, I had spotted a pasture field where I could have a better time of it so off I went.

Pastures New and the Second Worse Thing That Can Happen To a Detectorist
Here I was in my element. The coil glided just above the sward in a mesmerising pendulous manner. Those who have done this for hours on end will know what I mean. I really felt, 'in the zone'. I was keeping the coil low and slow listening to all the small signals amongst the iron and I was hitting some targets on a regular basis. I got a strange signal and took a cursory glance at my detector. At this point my world (my detecting world) turned upside down. The display looked ghostly and was faded out to almost unreadable, moments after it disappeared completely. Take a moment to imagine my horror if you will. Yes, we've all had detector coils get erratic or even had detectors die but this was different. I was on a rally (paid for), I was having a wonderful day. I had just started my Minelab blog and I wanted to carry it on. Most of all I love my detector more than it's healthy to do so. It's not just a tool to me, we're a team, a partnership like some of the greats Batman and Robin, Laurel and Hardy etc. We've achieved so much together and it was just dying in my arms. Too much sentimentality for a machine you may wonder, perhaps. All I knew was I had to try something.

I tried the contrast, switching it off and on. A factory reset, I looked online for fixes and if anyone had a similar problem all to no avail. It had joined the choir invisible. Interestingly, I could still hear the audio. The detector was still working (in a fashion) but I couldn't see a thing on the display. With a heavy heart, I met up with M and broke the sad news. He was very understanding and agreed we should call it a day.

Sending the Equinox Off for Repairs (I will keep you updated and edit this post until she is returned to me)
Sun 30th August 2020: I stripped down the Nox and posted a message off to Minelab that night.
Mon (bank holiday) 31st August 2020: Minelab UK gave me a reply and told me to post off the control unit.
Tue 1st Sep 2020: I posted it (recorded delivery) to Minelab
Fri 4th Sep 2020: Minelab received my control box
Tue 8th Sep 2020: emailed Minelab for an update
Wed 9th Sep: BRAND NEW CONTROL BOX SENT!!! Top marks Minelab :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Comments, suggestions, find identifications, questions are always welcome.
Take care all, and as always, happy digging!

Gratis Junk Removal Service
P8300003.JPG
Average finds
P8300004.JPG
Good Finds/My Favourite Find
P8300002.JPG
Iron x3, modern trash x3, lead x2, copper alloys x21, Total digs 29
Blackadder43

Another great report Trev :thumbsup:
i too speak to the fields and ask them to direct me to their hidden spoils, it has worked a couple of times, but then i am a nature loving tree hugger as someone from another forum once said about me :lol:

Good luck on getting the Nox fixed and returned in a speedy manner :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

I always talk to my fields. I say hello and I thank it at the end, and after every decent find. I have considered leaving it gifts after hearing someone found gold after a sandwich offering bug still haven't been that organised yet. A bit of a biscuit did result in a lovely hammy though so I really do need to be more organised about bringing food with me :D

Was it a hot day? I know screens can go very wonky in the heat - especially direct sunlight. But to give up? I thought you would just zone into your audio zen zone :Luv Ya:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
samuraitrev

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:23 pm Was it a hot day? I know screens can go very wonky in the heat - especially direct sunlight. But to give up? I thought you would just zone into your audio zen zone :Luv Ya:
It was overcast so and mild weather. I was too crestfallen to carry on, plus I had no idea what settings I was on after I'd fiddled with the controls trying to get it working. I could have been in Gold 2, Reactivity 1, Sensitivity 25, No ground balance, no noise control (it was going crazy BTW). Discrimination set above 30! :lol:
samuraitrev

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE :Party: :Party: :Party:

I got my Nox back! Minelab have sent me a brand new control box.
The repair action stated, 'screen fades after a while, replaced.'
Really glad it's sorted and so quickly. I will be back out collecting Derbyshire's hidden 'treasures' this weekend.
Thanks Minelab :clapping:
Pete E

samuraitrev wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:06 pm GREAT NEWS EVERYONE :Party: :Party: :Party:

I got my Nox back! Minelab have sent me a brand new control box.
The repair action stated, 'screen fades after a while, replaced.'
Really glad it's sorted and so quickly. I will be back out collecting Derbyshire's hidden 'treasures' this weekend.
Thanks Minelab :clapping:
Glad you got it sorted...was the repair covered by the warranty???
samuraitrev

Pete E wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:31 pm Glad you got it sorted...was the repair covered by the warranty???
Thanks Pete, yes thankfully it was covered by the warranty (I'd owned it for around 2 years).
Reiver

:thumbsup: Nice story well told Trev, good to know Minelab do the business on aftersales service.
Easylife

Nice write ups Trev. Glad you got your Nox fixed. I did a bit of detecting in Derbyshire last week, there are some very quiet fields about but not unexpected really given their locations. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
samuraitrev

Here's the details:

Date of hunt: Sunday the 20th of September 2020
Ground: plough, high iron contamination, high minerisation
Detector: Minelab Equinox 800 v.3.0 with 15" coil
Hunt Time: 2 hours.

An Unexpected Chance Arises
I had a call from my mate Ironman about a field that had just been ploughed and I agreed to meet him the next day. When I arrived, there was already a few cars parked up. Rocky and another guy I've met before a few times they were discussing the dream of finding a hoard of gold coins (if only :) ). Ironman proceeded to bury a Lizzy groat he'd pulled off this field on a previous dig and we all tried to locate it at a pinpointer's depth (9"). Most of us struggled to hear it as the field is notoriously full of iron and the minerisation is off the scale. I played with my settings and dropped my Iron Bias to 1. This helped a little and turned the signal into a digger. Ironman listened to it as well and agreed it was an improvement. So after the little test, we set off for glories undreamed.

To Dig or Not To Dig?
There's iffy signals all over this field, especially if you have your Iron Bias low. The odd bit was turning up but I was hitting the iron too. I used today as a bit of an experiment on trying to hear the good signals in between the iron. Maximum depth was pretty much out of the question on this field so I turned the Reactivity up to a huge 7. I never have it up that high but for this occasion it was the right thing to do. The myriad of signals were separated very sharply and the Nox reminded me very much of my old XP Deus. Targets could now be seen next to and under iron. I'm not exaggerating when I say that in one hole I found a non ferrous item next to 2 bits of iron. I always had to check the hole as invariably the pinpointer would hit a bit of iron whist searching for the actual target I wanted. In a way it's a good thing that this field is so hard to do because a) it shows that people have used this field extensively over the years and b) it gives the Nox and me a damn good work out. I can categorically attest that the Nox can find good target in the toughest of conditions (wow! that sounds like an advert! :) )

Time to Call It
I was engrossed in the hunt and I didn't realise I was the last on the field. The sun was slowly descending towards the horizon so with a new respect for my machine and all you guys who hunt in conditions like that. I swung towards the car. I didn't 'discover' anything of any material worth today but I did discover something more about my machine and myself. No matter the conditions, this detector can cope and if it can, then so can I.

Comments, suggestions, find identifications, questions are always welcome.
Take care all, and as always, happy digging!

Gratis Junk Removal Service
PA090052.JPG
Average finds
PA090053.JPG

Iron x10, modern trash x5, lead x11, copper alloys x6, Total digs 32
Oxgirl

Great write up. You almost had me considering a Nox for about 10 seconds. That’s a compliment as no one else has managed that!

Was there any good finds at all after a full day though? That would send me very disheartened so you have more patience than me :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

A beneficial experience to understand what your detector is actually telling you. Like just a hint of a non-ferrous target near detection limits or amongst iron, that is where the Nox excells resulting in more finds. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

Great write up again Trev, and shows that "fiddlers" and knowing your fields can turn your machine (any machine) into something that can cope with hard iron infested situations...
Always learning with our machines :thumbsup:
figgis

Good to see you getting to grips with your machine, Trev. As with any machine, it's all about gaining experience with it and tweaking it to your and the field's requirements. :thumbsup: