Roman fibulae...

HolzHammer

Afternoon All,
I have been filming a bit recently which although very good fun, is quite time consuming! I managed a couple of hours this morning without the camera and it was quite nice just getting back and digging holes without worrying about getting good stuff caught on film!
Anyway thought might post a couple of photos of some roman fibulas - one from yesterday - the "whole-er" one - and two from today... disced fields ,Herts. I really like the large 'catch' - it must have been a very grand brooch once and I have not come across this design before, it looks almost Art Deco! And the other is surprisingly long... i think its a brooch.. or a pin?
All the Best
Alexander
Attachments
DSC_3683.JPG
DSC_3685.JPG
DSC_3690.JPG
TerraBritannia

Excellent finds Alexander. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
figgis

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:59 pm And the other is surprisingly long... i think its a brooch.. or a pin?
It's a brooch :thumbsup: Could be a P-shaped but it's certainly been badly treated by the plough.

The catchplate is similar to one I found which is a Colchester derivative (1stC).

EDIT:

And I'll lay odds that the other brooch is also a 1stC Colchester. Alloverover will be along sometime to tell you what they actually are though :lol:
alloverover

Long one is a 1 piece Colchester, completeish one is a 2 piece colchester, catch plate could be from either of those but I suspect its from a 2 piece :thumbsup: