Detecting in Scotland?

Pete E

I am going up to the Scottish lowlands for a few days at the end of the month and plan to take my detector with me.

Assuming I can get permission on a bit of land and that it's not protected or scheduled in any way, can anybody outline any legalities I need to be aware of, in particular those that differ from England and Wales?

Regards,

Peter
Blackadder43

I'm sure Cath put something up a while back about detecting in Scotland :Thinking:
I'll give her a nudge when she gets back for ya :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Rather than explaining it all the official Treasure Trove info might help

Here’s a guide

If you go the beaches you might want to read this...

Detecting beaches in Scotland

Crown Estate Scotland.

In Scotland (in contrast to England, Wales and Northern Ireland), there is a general right of access for the public to all beaches and foreshore so we don’t require people to obtain a permit for access to Crown foreshore.

However we strongly suggest you read the above link for all the relevant information, things to look out for, etc.

This map will help you identify which beaches are Crown Estate Scotland foreshore.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

Thanks for that, the link was very helpful... :thumbsup:
bob the diggerer

Think theres a difference to the Treasure laws, check the Scottish NCMD site.
Pete E

bob the diggerer wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:16 pm Think theres a difference to the Treasure laws, check the Scottish NCMD site.
Not really expecting to find anything too exciting, but will take further advice should I find anything that could be deemed "culturally significant"...
DaveP

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:44 pm Rather than explaining it all the official Treasure Trove info might help
wasn't 'Lowland' the chap to contact at that other place? If he's still around I'm sure he could give Peter great advice and help. He would also be a good person to have on this forum.

Chris