1 in a 100

Saffron

Detecting in the remains of last years maize stubble today I had a one in a hundred find. A spindle whorl with a pattern which was a change from the more common plain ones, (as you can see its not been cleaned yet!).

Am I right in thinking that they are mainly medieval but no way of accurately dating them???

You might think "Spindle whorls are not that rare, why a 1 in a 100 find?". Well most of the other 99 targets I dug were bits of aluminium !!. :x :x :x Nearly all of these give TIDs in the low twenties on the Nox which is frequently a good target so they had to be dug. Fortunately it was very easy digging.

Evan
Attachments
spindlewhorl.JPG
spindlewhorl.JPG (19.76 KiB) Viewed 578 times
Oxgirl

Nice one Evan! Never had a fancy one yet so I’m very jealous :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Paint

Great find Evan :clapping: for me it’s 0 out of 1000s as I have yet to find one it’s high on the wish list as I would like to donate it to a group of spinners who go to medieval re-enactment stuff was talking to them and they were excited to use a real one not a modern copy
Littleboot

Bung us a pic when it is cleaned up Evan....i would like to see the pattern on it when it is spruced up. :D I love spindle whorls....I have found plain ones only though Pete has found a nice patterned one a few years back. the ones here in France that I have found are quite crude, or the strange knobbly things which resemble round cartridges for a cap gun which we have in France.
There is something very evocative about an item used for such a fundamental craft in human history.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Ladybird66

Saffron wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:11 am Detecting in the remains of last years maize stubble today I had a one in a hundred find. A spindle whorl with a pattern which was a change from the more common plain ones, (as you can see its not been cleaned yet!).

Am I right in thinking that they are mainly medieval but no way of accurately dating them???

You might think "Spindle whorls are not that rare, why a 1 in a 100 find?". Well most of the other 99 targets I dug were bits of aluminium !!. :x :x :x Nearly all of these give TIDs in the low twenties on the Nox which is frequently a good target so they had to be dug. Fortunately it was very easy digging.

Evan
I’m sure it was on the PAS site I read that the plain ones are commonly thought to be the oldest, going back to pos Roman. The patterned ones are from medieval onwards.
Personally I like the patterned ones best.
Blackadder43

Nice find Evan, and hard work with that ratio too, but worth it :thumbsup:
Pete E

I have to say I have a soft spot for spindle whorls, especially the patterned ones, so nice find Evan...
blackfeet

A nice find Evan I've only managed to find two
figgis

Great find, Evan :thumbsup: All mine are plain, but one day...
Saffron

Many thanks for the kind comments folks.

Ladybird mentioned the PAS - here is the link to their guide https://finds.org.uk/counties/findsreco ... le-whorls/

I am still inclined to think "medieval". IF we get back to normal and have club meetings I will see the FLO.

Although I admit a wry grin at Ladybird's comment "I’m sure it was on the PAS site I read that the plain ones are commonly thought to be the oldest, going back to pos Roman. The patterned ones are from medieval onwards".
Surely by now she should know that I never find Roman :thumbdown: I mean it was found about 5 yards into a field bordering a known Roman road, so the fact I found it confirms its medieval not Roman :x

Looking at the PAS and comments on here it supports what I thought that the plain ones are much more common, so makes this hard worked for find even nicer.

This reminded me of by far the best one I have ever seen at a dig. A few years back I attended a dig run by one of the larger commercial groups, before we started I had a word with a couple (young chap and lady sharing a detector) very new to detecting and on their first dig (might even have been the first time they seriously used the detector). Some time after saw them and had the normal "Found anything?". Although seeming happy enough slightly glum looks and "rusty iron and a lump of lead" ..... I say thats how detecting goes as the girl (her turn on "digging duties") then shows me the "finds" ..... "Can I see that lump of lead please" as I reach into my pocket for the car keys (they come in very handy for pushing the mud out of the centre hole!), I rub the worst of the mud off and explain that is a splindle whorl. This is meet by two very confused looks. I then explain what a spindle whorl is and that its probably medieval, two much happier looks> I then say that the patterned ones are rarer as most are plain and that is the best I have ever seen and what a good find it is and that I would be very happy if I had found it. They thanked me, and as I walked away I noticed they were still looking at it with a very different look on thier faces.
Its amazing what a difference to the look on faces a quick clean of an item and explanation of what it is can make to newbies :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Been running around today but will put up a cleaned daylight photo tomorrow.

Evan
Saffron

For anybody that is unsure of how a spinning whorl works here is a good video (there are several others online).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjNDgtH5-aM

Note the weight is at the bottom of the spindle :thumbsup:
NOT at the top as shown on one well known site used by a lot of detectorists to aid identification :oops: :oops: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Evan