hello everyone. Just to introduce myself, I`m Bors

Bors

Good evening good people .
My names is Pete otherwise under the "username " of Bors . I`m (I always have to think about this one ) 70 yrs old and I`ve been metal detecting off `n on since 1973 so I think that`s around 47 yrs pacing the fields . I `m currently using a Nokta /Makro Anfibio multi and I was using also a Minelab Nox 800 but decided to use the Anfibio instead as my main detector for now anyway .
My hobbies are playing chess , Pyrography, Leather tool working , Birdwatching and British Wildlife studying as I love getting my Bino`s out and watching both when the opportunities are offered . .
Hope to be able to offer up some helpful info or help if I`m able to on this brand new Forum that`s been put together very recently, by these good folk and I wish it all the very best and all who sail in her. 👍
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Blackadder43

Hello Bors and welcome in to The Detecting Hub, we hope you find us useful in some way
Wow, so you beat me by 7 years with walking the fields, it was way different back then too
I remember argueing with my Dad because he was adamant that it was illegal to use a detector without a license, luckily for me the "Pipe finders" license was stopped and i was ok to use one.
Havent times changed though with the technology we have now on some machines

Great selection of hobbies too, and skilled ones like Pyrography and leather working, hope to hear about those too :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Bors wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:35 pm Good evening good people .
My names is Pete otherwise under the "username " of Bors . I`m (I always have to think about this one ) 70 yrs old and I`ve been metal detecting off `n on since 1973 so I think that`s around 47 yrs pacing the fields . I `m currently using a Nokta /Makro Anfibio multi and I was using also a Minelab Nox 800 but decided to use the Anfibio instead as my main detector for now anyway .
My hobbies are playing chess , Pyrography, Leather tool working , Birdwatching and British Wildlife studying as I love getting my Bino`s out and watching both when the opportunities are offered . .
Hope to be able to offer up some helpful info or help if I`m able to on this brand new Forum that`s been put together very recently, by these good folk and I wish it all the very best and all who sail in her. 👍
Hey Bors , good to see you on board here . Being a fellow British wildlife enthusiast you would have liked to have been where I was yesterday evening . While fishing a small woodland lake far from the madding crowd the natural world blessed me with some snippets of nature at its finest . What looked like Emperor dragonflies feeding off the surface of the lake picking away at the midges , then a Kingfisher landed on a branch no more than a few feet away , saw my ugly mug and flew off . Sparrowhawk hunting the wooded Bankside and a grass snake swimming casually by . Cant beat the great outdoors !
TerraBritannia

Hi Pete, great to see you on here. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Oxgirl

A very warm welcome Pete. I’ve just started doing leatherwork too. OK not actually started but I have everything I need ready for the next rainy day :D

Hope you love it here :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Bors

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:28 pm A very warm welcome Pete. I’ve just started doing leatherwork too. OK not actually started but I have everything I need ready for the next rainy day :D

Hope you love it here :thumbsup:
hi Cath what you thinking on making? ? Here`s a sample of a few of my everyday tools I use that were to hand .
Attachments
20200718_221523.jpg
Littleboot

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:50 pm Hello Bors and welcome in to The Detecting Hub, we hope you find us useful in some way
Wow, so you beat me by 7 years with walking the fields, it was way different back then too
I remember argueing with my Dad because he was adamant that it was illegal to use a detector without a license, luckily for me the "Pipe finders" license was stopped and i was ok to use one.
Havent times changed though with the technology we have now on some machines

Great selection of hobbies too, and skilled ones like Pyrography and leather working, hope to hear about those too :thumbsup:
I have seen some of Pete's pyrography and it is quite superb.
I remember the Pipe Finders license and sending off for it and feeling very important. :lol:
Live long and prosper.
Oxgirl

Bors wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:24 pm hi Cath what you thinking on making? ? Here`s a sample of a few of my everyday tools I use that were to hand .
Could you please show us some of your things?
I’m going to make a finds pouch and a spade cover. I’m interested in moulding leather and I think I’m going to adore the hand-stitching. My shiny new stitching pony is Itching to be used :D
Bors

Some of my things ? Cath do you mean what I`ve made or tools ? If so I tend not to make things for the sake of just making them, (due to the cost of veg tan leather) I tend to only make things then either sell them (which isn`t often) or give them away to relatives as Birthday presents or Christmas presents. I usually suggest something and they then yeh or nay it , but it is made then it goes ,so sadly I`m sad to say I havn`t anything to show you at the moment, :cry: But ! I`m about to start on a leather belt for a very good friend of mine so once I`ve done it, I will photograph it and show you the finished result. I`m awaiting a tool from China at present and then I`ll start on it.
The moulding is a nice project here`s a typical way its done for your attention. >
figgis

Greetings, young Peter. Good to see you, mate :thumbsup:

Lord knows what'll happen when Cath and leather get together, so please don't encourage her, there's a good chap ;)
Bors

Kenleyboy wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:17 pm Hey Bors , good to see you on board here . Being a fellow British wildlife enthusiast you would have liked to have been where I was yesterday evening . While fishing a small woodland lake far from the madding crowd the natural world blessed me with some snippets of nature at its finest . What looked like Emperor dragonflies feeding off the surface of the lake picking away at the midges , then a Kingfisher landed on a branch no more than a few feet away , saw my ugly mug and flew off . Sparrowhawk hunting the wooded Bankside and a grass snake swimming casually by . Cant beat the great outdoors !
Yes It sounded just up my street did that. I have seen a Kingfisher a couple of times and I count myself extremely blessed to have done so ,as very few folk get to ever see one in real time. And they fly so fast ! We get quite a few sparrow Hawks up here and they come in fast and low hoping to catch their unwary prey. I again was blessed quite some years ago to see a Peregrine Falcon go into a stoop.I knew just by the speed of the stoop instantly what it was even though I couldn`t ID the bird by its plumage it was so far off yet , It was so high up it plummeted at a tremedous decent that I never got to see the outcome but I felt so lucky to witness just the stoop alone .Again how many people have been lucky enough to witness that ?
Yes these are snapshots in time that are treasure in themselves to behold by the chosen few.
Kenleyboy

Yes It sounded just up my street did that. I have seen a Kingfisher a couple of times and I count myself extremely blessed to have done so ,as very few folk get to ever see one in real time. And they fly so fast ! We get quite a few sparrow Hawks up here and they come in fast and low hoping to catch their unwary prey. I again was blessed quite some years ago to see a Peregrine Falcon go into a stoop.I knew just by the speed of the stoop instantly what it was even though I couldn`t ID the bird by its plumage it was so far off yet , It was so high up it plummeted at a tremedous decent that I never got to see the outcome but I felt so lucky to witness just the stoop alone .Again how many people have been lucky enough to witness that ?
Yes these are snapshots in time that are treasure in themselves to behold by the chosen few.

Quite a few years ago I was taken under sworn secrecy to an undisclosed nesting site of a pair of Goshawks . I would say this was about 20 years ago and they had just started to return to nest successfully on our shores again . They are huge Birds of Prey but seem so much larger in flight . It was incredible and I was aching to boast about it but had given my word not to say anything so I had to keep quiet for many years .
Another time on Devons Southwest coast I was walking the cliffs . I would have been about 15 years old and to my utter surprise there was a Swallowtail butterfly resting up . This was most unusual because they were apparently only ever located in Norfolk at that time yet here was one in Devon . Nobody believed me other than one Kindly soul who was a keen butterfly painter who said you saw it so that is all that matters . Quite true !
Bors

Never clapped eyes on a Goshhawk to my knowledge,but we are seeing a big increase in red tailed kites up the mountains and moorland I`ve noticed. :thumbsup: and Buzzards are getting very common to what they once was when hill farmers used to persecute them .
Kenleyboy

Bors wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:55 pm Never clapped eyes on a Goshhawk to my knowledge,but we are seeing a big increase in red tailed kites up the mountains and moorland I`ve noticed. :thumbsup: and Buzzards are getting very common to what they once was when hill farmers used to persecute them .
Believe it or not Buzzards were once scarce here in Norfolk and now the Red Kites are beginning to move in . I often see Marsh Harriers on one of the tips we dig and every year we get the Cuckoos on there as well .
Oxgirl

Bors wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:55 pm Never clapped eyes on a Goshhawk to my knowledge,but we are seeing a big increase in red tailed kites up the mountains and moorland I`ve noticed. :thumbsup: and Buzzards are getting very common to what they once was when hill farmers used to persecute them .
If the kites are moving in you’ll be over run with them in no time. I’ve often seen 6 or more at once now, especially on newly ploughed fields. Beautiful birds though :thumbsup: