hello everyone. Just to introduce myself, I`m Bors

figgis

Kenleyboy wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:13 pm Believe it or not Buzzards were once scarce here in Norfolk
Weren't they just? In another life I did demonstrations with buzzards and part of the patter was, "but you won't see many round here." Now there are miwyons of em :thumbsup:

And red kites? Yep. As Cath says, where some can thrive, all can thrive and it's only a matter of time before we're unindated :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

figgis wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:21 pm Weren't they just? In another life I did demonstrations with buzzards and part of the patter was, "but you won't see many round here." Now there are miwyons of em :thumbsup:

And red kites? Yep. As Cath says, where some can thrive, all can thrive and it's only a matter of time before we're unindated :thumbsup:
I have never understood why Buzzards were non existent in Norfolk , the landscape is perfect Buzzard country . The Red Kites have always been abundant on the M40 corridor , my Brother and I counted 60 plus while driving through the region on afternoon . We then started to get them over in Hertfordshire . Now we have a regulars visitor to the field next door , incredible birds . :thumbsup:
Littleboot

I have always been a country girl but have found myself learning a lot more about wildlife since moving to our house deep in the sticks.
It is actually amazing what is moving around the landscape and how much of it you realise you haven't noticed. I have seen more in part because I have got my eye in more.
For example....we have a hottub that gives us a view down our small meadow. We sit in it on fine evenings and have the candles on at dusk. Last week we realised we had had owls nesting in an old magpies nest in our blue fir tree and they were semi-fledged. The tree is only 20 yards from our front door! But our usual view of it makes it impossible to see inside the canopy. Anyway, at least 2 Long Eared owlets. We saw mum sweep in with a vole in its beak. Quite a display. seeing the owlets trying to flap about and into the next tree (walnut) where she was trying to coax them was very funny. While she was away one of the owlets worked out a circuitous route where the branches touched and edged sideways the whole way. :lol: He got a vole as a reward for 'flying' there.
we have had a leveret in the grounds since late Feb and he/she is now more or less full grown and is often seen at dusk ambling around the meadow. However, now we have another one! Tiny and very beautiful. could fit in one hand. It's 'form' is in a bushy herbaceous geranium just a couple of feet below our window. It means i can't dead-head my roses because i don't want to disturb it. :lol: We get lots of birds of prey right up to Eagle Owls so perhaps that is why the hares are sticking close to the house.
The flora and fauna in Normandy is pretty much the same as the UK ....we get fire salamanders and i don't think you get those but I may be mistaken, plus we get a few more snake species. Occasionally we do get something a tad more exotic.....One day i found a 20 cm long Praying Mantis in our Holly hedge. It was almost perfectly camoflaged....so it may have been there some time. We get swallowtail butterflies.....not many but a few and they tend to come out in late summer and visit some of the purple thistle-like flowers and scabious in pasture.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Bors

Thanks Jan that was a very nice synopsis of what your experiencing over there and interesting to hear you have Preying Mantis which look like the T Rex`s of the insect world over there as we don`t to my knowledge have them here.
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Kenleyboy

Thanks Littleboot that is a great write up and insight into the world of nature right on our doorstep . Despite my urban upbringing there were plenty of pockets of green belt and small woodland areas and a lot of abandoned Victorian building which had huge overgrown gardens , these were my go to places . Nature will adapt to any surroundings and one fine example was a pair of Kestrels which nested successfully for years on the steel structure of the gas holder at the top of our street . On the odd occasions we would get one of the adults perch on the wall at the end of out small terraced garden .
Bors

Kenleyboy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:54 am I have never understood why Buzzards were non existent in Norfolk , the landscape is perfect Buzzard country . The Red Kites have always been abundant on the M40 corridor , my Brother and I counted 60 plus while driving through the region on afternoon . We then started to get them over in Hertfordshire . Now we have a regulars visitor to the field next door , incredible birds . :thumbsup:
Who stand with such poise & elegance when scanning the views around it from on top of telegraph poles I`ve noticed .
Things aint cooking in my kitchen