Reaction To Government Restrictions and NCMD

Pete E

Sadly the other thread was locked stifling discussion. Perhaps it was in the wrong section, but maybe it could have been moved?

Anyway after typing out a long reply, I will post it here I in what I am hoping is a more appropriate sub forum:
Oxgirl wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:38 pm How do you know the NCMD aren’t working on behalf of clubs?
Given what went on during the first lockdown, I am sure the NCMD is working for a more equitable and common sense approach.

It seems that many people within the detecting world who don't like commercial digs would like to use the current situation to have a go at them. Personally I don't frequent them, but if you compare a commercial dig with say 100 people and a busy pub on a Saturday night, I certainly know which represents the greatest risk. Same with a large wedding.

Now unfortunately, a line has been drawn restricting traditional Clubs to six participants at a dig when say an amateur football match can still take place and I would again say that's rediculas.

I am hoping the NCMD will fight this not by carving and splitting our hobby, but by making arguments / comparisons with other amateur hobby/sports and their risk factors in the wider context and I am sure they are...

Early in the previous lockdown, the Government's own scientific advisors came to the conclusion the that outdoor activities when carried out with 2m social distancing, minimum contact with others, that did not rely on communal facilities, or require travelling exsesive distances, represented minimal risk. Solo and Club detecting can easily meet all those criteria, and with some modification\restrictions so can the commercial digs.

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:38 pm On the sole trader route, if you did you’d just be joining the many others who think finding a way round the rules is the way to go.
If a person chooses to go down that route they are not finding a loop hole but simply complying with Government requirements.

It's much like the difference between tax avoidance, a perfectly legal standard business practice, and tax evasion which is illegal with potentially serious consequences. If the Government put silly regulations in place, please don't call out people when they comply with them.

Finally you mention traditional Clubs tending to have older higher risk members...At present those same people are being told by the Government it is still ok to return to work, go to pubs and use public transport all of which in reality represent a much higher risk.

Additionally, attending club digs is not compulsory and it's up to the individual to assess the situation themselves.

Despite assurances to the contrary, I will not be going to the pub or using public transport unless absolutely necessary and unavoidable. I will also continue to work from home for as long as possible.

That said I feel comfortable attending club digs knowing how they are conducted and the safety measures that are in place mean there is minimal risk. However that too may change should new science highlight any risks we are not presently aware of..
Blackadder43

Pete
It was locked for the reasons i gave.
Pete E

Blackadder43 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:58 pm Pete
It was locked for the reasons i gave.
I was surprused that you characterised the OP's posts as "rants" before locking the thread.Thats almost a personal attack in itself.

Now I happen to disagree with much of what he said, but his posts contained no profanity or personal attacks just strong personal convictions, hence my surprise it was locked and not perhaps moved?

Many people came here to support this forum due to what was perceived as heavy handed moderation else where and it would be a great shame if this forum drifted down that route too...