This mornings offerings.

figgis

Is there perhaps a case for yours being a knockoff? The designs and casting do look a bit crude and you can bet your bottom dollar there was a roaring trade in 'official, honest guv' merchandise away from the church/shrine/other godly premises.

"Roll up, roll up, gitchore boner fihdee holy water 'ere. Oi, squire, why go all the way to St. Cracklesnaffle's shrine and pay twice the price for a dollop of jollop when you can get the same thing here, blessed by Izzoliness the pope his very own self not two hours ago, stand on me. Guaranteed to cure warts, anthrax, vertigo, ash dieback, Venezuelan Beaver Cheeseomylitis, swamp fever, piles, and many many more, ho yus indeedy. Yours for a penny each or two for a groat."

They exist in every age :D
Blackadder43

:lol:
Littleboot

By its very nature casting lead is often a crude business...I suppose it depends on how slick the operation at the shrine was. And i suppose that depends on the nature of the shrine and who visited.
The lugs are very small and the gap would be cleared of casting waste just after the process. Or not. I have an ampulla where the 'eyes' in the lugs are not open. Another where just one is, despite two lugs being in situ. Now I suppose the shrine made a standard design. but not all ampullae are actually carried by pilgrims on chains. Not everyone would want to be saddled with having a lump of lead around their neck. It would simply be put with their possessions en route home and then put where they felt it would do most good.
If a shrine was specifically visited because of healing properties then I can understand the importance of it being 'worn' as we would wear a St Christopher and modern Catholics wear a medallion from Lourdes. But most ampullae may well have been purchased as general brownie points with God and thus deserving of good fortune. Most of the time this would mean harvest etc and thus would go straight into the land as a spiritual fertiliser. :lol:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
alloverover

Thanks for all your thoughts :thumbsup: I will carry on looking through all those on PAS database when I get time, see if I can find a comparible one :D :thumbsup:
Littleboot

This is a study i referred to...I think you will find it interesting reference....and if you scroll down you will see an ampulla with a flask on.
https://digital.kenyon.edu/cgi/viewcont ... erejournal
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Cantiaci

That’s a corker of an ampulla! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Xp Deus ( not sure if it still works these days)
Oxgirl

alloverover wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:06 am Thanks for all your thoughts :thumbsup: I will carry on looking through all those on PAS database when I get time, see if I can find a comparible one :D :thumbsup:

Here’s an exact match - a Walsingham one? Number 403 in Michael Mitchener’s book - medieval pilgrim and Secular badges.
BDB27B78-8948-4DA3-9D56-E791FCF0E3F2.jpeg
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
alloverover

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Here’s an exact match - a Walsingham one? Number 403 in Michael Mitchener’s book - medieval pilgrim and Secular badges.

BDB27B78-8948-4DA3-9D56-E791FCF0E3F2.jpeg
Wonderful Cath, very good :thumbsup:
Something in my head was saying Walsingham but I hadnt checked it out .
I had a couple of permissions right near there years ago, just didnt keep them up, not enough time with one thing and another, a shame because they were both very fruitfull, thanks again Cath, one less thing to do :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: