Modern(?) Silver Earring

TerraBritannia

I visited a new permission yesterday, but sadly the fields were very barren other than lots of tin foil and a couple of modern coins.

The fields have been visited by detecting clubs in the past and I found absolutely nothing of age, other than this rather sad looking silver Earring and it was only a surface find.

It's made of pressed silver and it weighs 2.79 grams and although the patina is rather nice, I doubt it has much age to it? Not being much of an earring aficionado, I thought I'd double check with my fellow TDH friends, just in case.

I haven't noticed any hallmarks.
20200913_111608.jpg
20200913_111627.jpg
20200913_111751.jpg
20200913_111847.jpg
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
figgis

Looks modern to me but Bruce will be along shortly to compare it with his extensive collection for the definitive answer :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia

Thanks John. :thumbsup:
Minelab Equinox 800
Pete E

TerraEnglandia wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:41 am I visited a new permission yesterday, but sadly the fields were very barren other than lots of tin foil and a couple of modern coins.

The fields have been visited by detecting clubs in the past and I found absolutely nothing of age, other than this rather sad looking silver Earring and it was only a surface find.

It's made of pressed silver and it weighs 2.79 grams and although the patina is rather nice, I doubt it has much age to it? Not being much of an earring aficionado, I thought I'd double check with my fellow TDH friends, just in case.

I haven't noticed any hallmarks.
That's a real strange one..the over all design looks modern to me, but the lack of hallmarks and the patina suggest other wise. I can see why you questioned it...

It will be interesting to hear the verdicts of the more experienced on here...
Pete E

Just looking closer at the last pic of the inside of the earring, can i see tiny hallmarks/ stamps being obscured by the remaining dirt????
figgis

I think in this case the lack of hallmarks would have more to do with where it was made rather than its age.
Oxgirl

There are two examples of hoop earrings with the some similarities. Both are considerd to be modern, one possibly 19th century (https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/599820). None are identicle though.

Worth showing the FLO but there are no similar Roman ones I can find so I would guess the earliest it would be is Georgian, possibly Victorian or, with the patina, early 20th century. But just a guess :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Thanks John, but it doesnt match any of my costume jewelery *pouts* :Luv Ya:

If i am honest it doesnt look the right design for an modern earing
I wouldnt expect the "pin" that goes through the ear to be on the shorter side of the design, i dont think that would balance or look very good
More often that not the pin that locates through the ear is on the longer side of a design, so then the shorter side stops short of touching the ear again
Having said that this doesnt look modern either because it appears to be using a brooch type clasp system

In my opinion based on the photos that design also looks hand punched, as you can see the straight line in each dent where the tool punched down on it?
And the design only on the outside?...an earing is fully visible so personally i would expect the design to go all around?
Looks very smooth on the inside of it too

Remember though, my mind can run riot when i try to ID things :lol:

Great find though Andy, :thumbsup:
It sure is gonna take some working out as to its use or title and age..... :ugeek:
TerraBritannia

Thanks very much for all of your help, I'll email my FLO just to be safe. I've given it a light wash and I can't see any hallmarks, perhaps it's foreign?

Image20200913_165325 by Terra Englandia, on Flickr
Minelab Equinox 800
DaveP

Pete E wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:47 pm Just looking closer at the last pic of the inside of the earring, can i see tiny hallmarks/ stamps being obscured by the remaining dirt????
I think I also see what Peter is seeing - looks like an M. Would heavy side lighting show it up? Or is it wishful thinking...
Attachments
2.jpg
TerraBritannia

I've been over the inside of it again, this time with a bit of tin foil and although it smells very eggy (and after trying 3 different magnifying lenses) I can't see any lettering of hallmarks. :Thinking: :D
Minelab Equinox 800
Littleboot

Quite a lot of small, delicate items were exempt from Hallmarking before 1975. The piece shown would be difficult to mark because it appears hollow and the punch would flatten it. Also items of medical/dental equipment were not required to be hallmarked. (Silver is anti-septic and was used for such things in the past.)
I am not convinced it is an ear-ring. The markings on it are simply not decorative enough and have the appearance of something applied for the purpose of texture only.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
TerraBritannia

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: I've emailed my FLO and I'll let you know what she thinks to it.

My best guess is that it's an Earring, I can't think what else it might be. :D

There's a little round pivot type thing at the top of the long end and a couple of short strands at the other.

FB4B4763.jpg
FB4B4764.jpg
Minelab Equinox 800
Littleboot

I had a trawl through some Roman earrings and these seemed a possibility:
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-09-15 at 17.14.06.png
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
TerraBritannia

Thanks again Littleboot.

It's the little pivot/hinge that has me thinking it might not be too old? Saying that I've no idea when that might have first come to be used.
It's quite frustrating searching for earrings on Google, more often than not I end up seeing modern bits and pieces.
Minelab Equinox 800