Heavy head scratcher for you...

Oxgirl

Gosh it was boiling hot today wasn’t it? Being a mad English woman (with Irish roots :D ) I still decided to brave it anyway. Downed two large bottles of water in the process trying to stay hydrated but was still wilting heavily after 4 hours.

The situation was not helped by the big, no ginormous, lead pieces I kept finding and this large piece of silver coated bronze. It is very heavy. No idea what it is though. Any thoughts. One edge is smooth and unbroken along one long length whilst the other three sides are broken.
D638CC75-4AB1-45AE-99B1-7DD868199074.jpeg
1508A9A1-E739-436E-8F19-1984D7F506E3.jpeg
711AAA43-4A9C-4D5A-96FB-8EB1F9E0A0FB.jpeg
On the other end of the scale Is a silver top of a button. Never had a solid silver button (even part of one) before so was rather pleased with that. Mind you I say solid - it is just a hollow dome but you know what I mean :D

Also had a Canada cap badge, another heraldic button (I’ll have enough for a full uniform soon :lol: ), an anchor button and a weird lead ball that has an identical indentation in each side. I thought it was a lead bead thing but it isn’t :?
93BB6380-1246-4D3C-ACD3-752D09BA3F7E.jpeg
Plus, not shown, a George V penny, a load more lead and a handful of coper bits and pieces.

Deus on HOT with reactivity reduced to 2.5 and the 11” x35 coil.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
joemole

i bet that big lump blew your lugs off. no idea what it is.
Littleboot

So..the Deus was in Hot and so were you!! It was 35 C here today. And I had to cut a 70 metre long by 2 metre high hedge. Dear me....burnt to a crisp.
Ah well....fair play to anybody out in the midday sun today.
P.S. I have Irish roots too.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
alloverover

God knows Cath, it difficult withought being able to hold it, something this size.
Could it be part of a leg of something, dont know what though, pretty impressive lump whatever it is :shock:
Jamesey1981

Top bit from roofing lead maybe? Has a very roofy looking angle to it, but I have no idea if lead was ever used that way.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Steve RC

The bronze piece might be part of a phosphor bronze bearing from a steam engine moving part.
Oxgirl

Steve RC wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:04 pm The bronze piece might be part of a phosphor bronze bearing from a steam engine moving part.
Interesting idea. My husband has the advantage of holding it and he’s ruled that out :?
Oxgirl

Jamesey1981 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:03 pm Top bit from roofing lead maybe? Has a very roofy looking angle to it, but I have no idea if lead was ever used that way.
It’s very heavy bronze.

Although there was some really big bits of lead on the field not very far away so maybe it is roof related :?
Oxgirl

alloverover wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:49 pm God knows Cath, it difficult withought being able to hold it, something this size.
Could it be part of a leg of something, dont know what though, pretty impressive lump whatever it is :shock:
Not a leg but I agree I think it’ll be an unidentifiable one. Least it proves this part of the field has never been detected. Even a £20 toy detector would find that lump :D
Jamesey1981

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:41 pm It’s very heavy bronze.

Although there was some really big bits of lead on the field not very far away so maybe it is roof related :?
Ah, didn't read that bit properly, I've just gone back to work after five months on furlough so my brain is mush in the evenings!
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Ladybird66

Well done you Cath. Mad dogs & part Irish women ! Sounds about right !

I’ve now got some silage fields to have scan over with the NOX. They’ve all been cut, for the last time this year, I hope, and what happens ? The weather happens, that’s what. Wonder why the heat affects us so badly as we get older.
It seems the Irish bit of me (yes me too) is not very hardy.

Last piece of Big lead I found was like a small sheet and I chucked it into the hedge. That was before I found out you could sell it. :cry: field been sold, no permission, can’t go back.
No idea what the chunk you’ve got might be but it’ll add a nice few pounds to your collection. You mention silver coated brass. Do you think it is more likely to be tin ?
Lots of interesting things been going on in that field by the look of it. Wonder how that Canadian cap badge got there :o
Oxgirl

Jamesey1981 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:13 pm Ah, didn't read that bit properly, I've just gone back to work after five months on furlough so my brain is much in the evenings!
I am like that most of the time and have no excuse :lol:
Oxgirl

Ladybird66 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 pm Well done you Cath. Mad dogs & part Irish women ! Sounds about right !

I’ve now got some silage fields to have scan over with the NOX. They’ve all been cut, for the last time this year, I hope, and what happens ? The weather happens, that’s what. Wonder why the heat affects us so badly as we get older.
It seems the Irish bit of me (yes me too) is not very hardy.

Last piece of Big lead I found was like a small sheet and I chucked it into the hedge. That was before I found out you could sell it. :cry: field been sold, no permission, can’t go back.
No idea what the chunk you’ve got might be but it’ll add a nice few pounds to your collection. You mention silver coated brass. Do you think it is more likely to be tin ?
Lots of interesting things been going on in that field by the look of it. Wonder how that Canadian cap badge got there :o
I used to throw lead in the bin but I felt bad about the pollution factor so now have a plastic pot that is so heavy I can’t lift it :shock: Must be worth all of about £30 though. It’s only worth about £1 a kilo (if you are lucky!) so I wouldn’t worry about the lead sheet because the hassle of dragging it home probably ain’t worth it.

The Canada badge is a weird one isn’t it?