How do you store and display your finds?!

HolzHammer

As an antiques dealer I like using cabinets and mini chests of drawers but I have seen some very innovative designs from various people some of whom are members here. So how do you store or display yours?
Anyway I have just uploaded a short video on the subject so please take a look and let me know what you think!

All the Best
Alexander
Paint

Nice video most of my old buttons are in a old Tupperware box as are most of my other finds don’t think the wife will let me put them in bowls for display I would like some old cabinets like yours as a nice way to organise and display and you do have some very nice finds there well saved :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Paint wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:56 pm Nice video most of my old buttons are in a old Tupperware box as are most of my other finds don’t think the wife will let me put them in bowls for display I would like some old cabinets like yours as a nice way to organise and display and you do have some very nice finds there well saved :thumbsup:
Thank you very much.... ( I rather get away with being able to do what i want cluttering up the place as I don't have a wife!)
Not sure what emoji is appropriate after that!
DaveP

Really good and interesting video and love some of the stuff in the background. I suppose my only concern is that your finds are now hidden away in boxes and cabinets. I love cabinets of curiosities and most of my good finds go straight to my wife for her cabinet; although I am looking for a new cabinet at a sensible price. Others are in my desk drawer and get seen every time I open the drawer - very distracting from the job at hand.
Fossils, on the other hand, turn up around the house and in the garage. Then they seem to migrate to her school for a project and never return. I really don't mind as the youngsters love them.
And now a few of my metal finds are heading to school for an archaeology project. None of the finds are valuable and if they don't return I wont mind. If a youngster has found some delight at trying to read a little information from a coin and then do some research I'm happy.

So to your question of how are my finds stored - it depends. Some are in boxes. Some are on display. Some are with the landowners and some are in other peoples' houses!
HolzHammer

DaveP wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:30 pm Really good and interesting video and love some of the stuff in the background. I suppose my only concern is that your finds are now hidden away in boxes and cabinets. I love cabinets of curiosities and most of my good finds go straight to my wife for her cabinet; although I am looking for a new cabinet at a sensible price. Others are in my desk drawer and get seen every time I open the drawer - very distracting from the job at hand.
Fossils, on the other hand, turn up around the house and in the garage. Then they seem to migrate to her school for a project and never return. I really don't mind as the youngsters love them.
And now a few of my metal finds are heading to school for an archaeology project. None of the finds are valuable and if they don't return I wont mind. If a youngster has found some delight at trying to read a little information from a coin and then do some research I'm happy.

So to your question of how are my finds stored - it depends. Some are in boxes. Some are on display. Some are with the landowners and some are in other peoples' houses!
Good stuff Dave... I like the desk drawer caper... I like to keep the odd milled silver in my pocket amongst the change as i5 always makes me smile when I’m poking through for the right amount! Keep an eye on your local auction for cabinets - they are so old fashioned they never make much money but are perfect for the likes of us... I’ve several yet to be used...!
TerraBritannia

That was an interesting video to watch and my word, you have a lot of finds! :thumbsup:

I've looked at those collecters cabinets and the like on that auction site, they seem to command fairly heftly prices don't they? Even the Printer's letterpress drawers get sold off individually for a fair amount.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
HolzHammer

TerraEnglandia wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:11 pm That was an interesting video to watch and my word, you have a lot of finds! :thumbsup:

I've looked at those collecters cabinets and the like on that auction site, they seem to command fairly heftly prices don't they? Even the Printer's letterpress drawers get sold off individually for a fair amount.
I'd more keep an eye on your real local salesrooms.... DM your whereabouts ( you don't need to be too exact!) and i'll try and suggest some - Tennants in Leyburn have good "general" sales among the smarter fine Art ones you are bound to find something there... and there's Hartleys in Ilkley which may turn up something...
Cantiaci

That was a great vid to watch! You have a truly fascinating house and so many finds! :thumbsup:
I will have to add some pics of how I store mine at a later date but it’s nowhere near as interesting as your arrangements.
I’ve subscribed as well.. :thumbsup:
Xp Deus ( not sure if it still works these days)
Allectus

"How do you store and display your finds?!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ebay. :lol: :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

I so want to root around your house. I’m a nosey so and so :lol:

My medieval pottery sits in large Victorian green glass lidded jars and my best artefacts sit in a glass fronted wall cabinet whilst my coins are in labelled card holders in an aluminium case. The ‘less good’ stuff are in individual bags with the find spot details and then sorted in bigger bags or boxes in categories.

I’m not the neatest person but with finds I start twitching if they aren’t perfectly labelled :oops: :lol:

I’ll do a video of them if I can get myself in gear :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HolzHammer

Cantiaci wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:37 pm That was a great vid to watch! You have a truly fascinating house and so many finds! :thumbsup:
I will have to add some pics of how I store mine at a later date but it’s nowhere near as interesting as your arrangements.
I’ve subscribed as well.. :thumbsup:
Thanks Cantiaci, much appreciated!
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:49 pm I so want to root around your house. I’m a nosey so and so :lol:

My medieval pottery sits in large Victorian green glass lidded jars and my best artefacts sit in a glass fronted wall cabinet whilst my coins are in labelled card holders in an aluminium case. The ‘less good’ stuff are in individual bags with the find spot details and then sorted in bigger bags or boxes in categories.

I’m not the neatest person but with finds I start twitching if they aren’t perfectly labelled :oops: :lol:

I’ll do a video of them if I can get myself in gear :thumbsup:
Do a video - they are fun to make if not a bit time consuming at first...!
HolzHammer

Allectus wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:10 pm "How do you store and display your finds?!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ebay. :lol: :thumbsup:
Ha! Very good!
shaggybfc

After recently watching an episode of the Repair-Shop, they did a cracking job on refurbishing an old toolmakers chest. Being an ex-toolmaker myself, it not only reminded me of the 'good old' days, but what an excellent storage opportunity it'd be to repurpose my tool chest that's currently residing in the loft. Photo to follow.
Stage 1 - recovered it from the loft after 30 plus years.
Stage 2 - quick clean.
Now the tricky bit, don’t have the key and it’s locked.
Attachments
EFEBFCDA-D7D1-4CCB-AE11-5FAA586CCA88.jpeg
D04CC0F0-A02D-4720-BC20-B8C7BA239976.jpeg
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Oxgirl

shaggybfc wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:59 pm After recently watching an episode of the Repair-Shop, they did a cracking job on refurbishing an old toolmakers chest. Being an ex-toolmaker myself, it not only reminded me of the 'good old' days, but what an excellent storage opportunity it'd be to repurpose my tool chest that's currently residing in the loft. Photo to follow.
Excellent idea - can’t wait to see that :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking