What acreage do you have?

figgis

I have five local permissions, comprising three small farms and two sets of paddocks totalling just shy of 400 acres. For me, that's plenty and I've not sought a permission for a couple of years as between them they keep me busy. In fact, I was offered a very local permission via the memsahib and I emailed the landowner, received no reply, and haven't chased it up as quite frankly I don't really need it. Some people seem to collect permissions as others collect friends on Faceache but I couldn't do justice to more land so don't chase it.

How many acres do you have access to and is it too little/enough/too much?
Carling 2

I have enough to be ticking on by... 500 acres 10 mins walk away from home and about a total of 6000 acres all in this county,, I like to keep local 😁👍and again I been doing this game 25 years and most of what land I've got as been tected by others, and some I've hung on to from day 1
Emily

About 3-3500. Too much for me, but I like to bring Bob with me when I can. ☺️
Live long and prospect
Danté

I honestly haven't the faintest idea :Thinking:
I can't stop myself asking customers for permision to detect if I know that they are Landowners.
I think only three have said no, one in no uncertain terms.. :lol: :lol:
Gotta be a few thousand acres, but I never state that I expect exclusive access. On the contrary. I'm happy to come across someone else in a field, it's nice to have a bit of company occaisionally :Luv Ya:
Carling 2

It always makes me laugh when people go on about how much land they have, no land is exclusive and as I've said before if a site as been done once it could have been done a hundred times, the only people that can say who or when someone goes anywhere is the landowners and these days anybody detecting stands a very high chance of detecting somebody else's perm because the farmer don't really care about the history or who does what. I like to use the term I have access to,, x amount of acres because after all that's all anybody got.
DaveP

It's not the size of your acreage ...............

Spent about 3 hours in a 40 acre pasture field this afternoon. On leaving (I text in and out) I sent the owner the following:

"I'm not sure what the Romans ever did for us but they were clearly a tidy bunch and didn't leave anything on your farm"
TheFenTiger

Carling 2 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:17 pm It always makes me laugh when people go on about how much land they have, no land is exclusive and as I've said before if a site as been done once it could have been done a hundred times, the only people that can say who or when someone goes anywhere is the landowners and these days anybody detecting stands a very high chance of detecting somebody else's perm because the farmer don't really care about the history or who does what. I like to use the term I have access to,, x amount of acres because after all that's all anybody got.
You must have different landowners to me then as the 4 permissions I have the landowners are all really interested in the finds and the history of the land and are not the sort who want lots of people detecting on them. They really appreciate it when I show them the finds and give them to them. One has asked me to give talks to the village on what I have found on his land.
Dave
Carling 2

That's your circumstance and mine is I got access to maybe 20 farms some have been done by others some haven't,, I'm just talking on general terms if you got 4_5 perms and it's sole access to you,, Brill. But if you have loads of farms and many more permissions the ball game changes,, I've got some very good farmer freinds that I've known years that won't give permission to anyone else, I've also got farms where I have a contract and then I've got some farms that don't care who tects what.
tone

Three large estates total of 23,000 acres also many individual farm's.
TerraBritannia

tone wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:04 pm Three large estates total of 23,000 acres also many individual farm's.
:shock:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Littleboot

7500 hectares if I add up what my farmers have told me. They don't do acres. Quite a bit of land though and that doesn't count the large swathe of forest they let me on, hunters permitting. (Well it isn't down to whether the hunters permit me....it isn't their land either...it is more down to my preference to not being shot. :roll: )
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Count de Washers

I'll get me coat !
alloverover

Not a clue, ive forgotton about many thousands of acres over the years, good productive sites to, but gained through working and too far for me to travel. Got another couple of acres today, 17th century house with a Saxon church in the garden( yep),garden field has been totally stripped of topsoil, flattened out and re-topsoiled, had a few hours on it and got a few bits and bobs, left them with the homeowner and was told to come back whenever I liked,,,,,,trouble is its too far away so I very much doubt I will ever go back ( obviously I wasnt finding Saxon :problem: ) :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

About 3000 acres about the right amount. Some pasture, mainly arable so large % not available all year round.

We all sound like we have loads but I guess most of us find that a lot of land is shared, some with green waste (and usually ignored), and only a smallish % is productive and really worth detecting.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Kenleyboy

I have a couple of pending permissions which I won't count at the moment but they are both promising , one being quite large and the other a few acres .
All in I have two with one being about 20 acres but very trashy while the other is 100 acres . To be honest this is more than enough for me as its nice and local and still plenty to discover . It is always nice to have a few on the back burner though as a back up because things can change .
Count ourselves lucky , there are members of my club who have no permissions and rely solely on club digs so not a very fruitful season for the less fortunate .