What acreage do you have?

alloverover

Kenleyboy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm It is always nice to have a few on the back burner though as a back up because things can change .
Count ourselves lucky , there are members of my club who have no permissions
Absolutely right Kenleyboy, you never know how long thigs will last, ive been gazumped off land ive had permission on for the best part of 15 years :thumbdown:
Kenleyboy

alloverover wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 pm Absolutely right Kenleyboy, you never know how long thigs will last, ive been gazumped off land ive had permission on for the best part of 15 years :thumbdown:
Tell me about it , lost a very good permission last year but have managed to regain it after things didn't work out with the opposing party :thumbdown: for them but :thumbsup: for me .
shaggybfc

I have access to several farms in Warwickshire and Gloucestershire that would amount to about 2000 acres. That’s my permissions, then I have access to club permissions, so truly spoilt.
I’ve recently, after 3 years of campaigning, been granted exclusive searching rights to even more land.
Having land is one thing, having productive land is another....
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
TheFenTiger

I have 4 permissions.

My main is a family farm shared with one of the landowners school friends who is not a serious detectorist, of 350 acres, full arable including part of a USAF airbase. 1 hours drive.

2 fields which are now sheep pastures of 18 acres but were cultivated and had lots of finds from Roman onwards. 15 minutes drive.

The farm next door which is 4 fields of 100 acres which the landowner has also bought the neighbouring farm but I am not sure how big that is. This farm I haven't been on much recently due to cropping and shooting but the landowner is allowing another detectorist on as I haven't been in contact with him enough. He asked me if I was OK with to which I said of course (I can't really say no!) but I am going to have a chat with him tonight.

Finally 200 acres of which I have only been on 1 field as it is a new permission. 25 minutes drive.

So less than 1000 acres but that really is enough for me and I don't go actively looking for other permissions.
Dave
figgis

Great info, and thanks for posting, folks. Keep it coming :thumbsup: Maybe we can add it all up at the end and see what sized city we have access to between us :lol:

There are some with an extraordinary amount of land, and I wondered if the reason for it is mainly because of its productivity (or lack of it) or just the result of many years' detecting and it's just mounted up?
Carling 2

Productivity is nothing that can be counted upon it don't matter what the history of any site says, so I think people just get a farm/ land hoping that its going to be fields of dreams and when that turns out to be the usual then people look for more, in my case I think that's what's happened and a acumilation over time,, yes there's places I can go where I know finds are thin on the ground and there's other places where I'm pretty confident of picking up something decent before I start ( currently waiting for 200 acres of spuds next to my medieval village where I live,, I did have 16 hammereds out there between Feb and April before they sowed the spuds and there coming up this weekend,,, yay 😁,,, what size city??? I'm think put everyone's perms together you may well have a new country 🤔😁😁
figgis

Carling 2 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm I did have 16 hammereds out there between Feb and April before they sowed the spuds and there coming up this weekend,,, yay 😁
:shock: Is that all? I'd be looking for better land :lol:
Carling 2 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm what size city??? I'm think put everyone's perms together you may well have a new country 🤔😁😁
I'm beginning to think that, too! :thumbsup:
Fisher 1266 X

We have quite a lot of permissions with lots of land but due to our research, we're only interested in a very small percentage of the total land mass.
Some of our permissions have other detectorists active on the land but that isn't a worry as such.

If you put all the fields we are interested in, it would only probably amount to a few hundred acres and saying that, we're only interested in small areas of those fields!
Carling 2

Yep only problem with that theory is the grass always looks greener in this hobby, and everybody in this hobby knows the more a site has historically the more likely is to have been tected many times, all land would be looked at given the chance by anybody as I'm sure many hoard locations had no noticeable history, where I live as well as my permissions I know within a radius of 15 miles who is detecting where and believe me anybody would be hard pushed to get a permission anywhere within that 15 mile radius and if they did I'm sure there would be very little to be found due to previous hunters,, to be fair not many people do the research before getting the said permission these days cause usually its a no or the associated finds have long gone.
TheFenTiger

I wonder if the grass is greener thing is the reason people keep chasing new permissions. It does take a long time going over the same ground before it starts to give up the finds and find the hot spots. It is easy to give fields a quick going over, not find anything and think the fields are unproductive so seek new permissions.
Dave
Junk and Disorderly

I have no idea how much acreage i have access on,i guess even if i did i highly doubt it that i would mention it either,it will certainly do me till they carry me out in a wooden overcoat and that i hope is no time soon.

Of course its upto the individual if they wish to mention how much land that they have access on,but for me i just get on with my No1 pastime in life and that is detecting,some of my land has very small fields and of course some are much larger,but for me i just like turning up and spend a very enjoyable few hours detecting even if the land has been detected by me for many years,the good old deep ploughing always brings something interesting up.
TDI Pro,T2,Nox,Deus,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Mirage PI,Crossbow PI,DFX,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Arado120b and others.
Saffron

DaveP wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:21 pm It's not the size of your acreage ...............

Spent about 3 hours in a 40 acre pasture field this afternoon. On leaving (I text in and out) I sent the owner the following:

"I'm not sure what the Romans ever did for us but they were clearly a tidy bunch and didn't leave anything on your farm"
Sounds like my one.

Nearly all my permissions are old pasture, so when dry and hot in summer I can find my self struggling for land, so a couple of years ago tried a neighboughing farmer for a few fields that had been corn and just been harvested.
"Yes you can detect them. But I have another detectorist and he says its a waste of time and only broken farm machinery".

After 2 sessions I sent him a message.
"I can confirm that your other detectorist is honest, and not hidding finds from you. Like him I only found a bit of rubbish and broken farm machinery".

Evan
Pete E

TheFenTiger wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:40 pm It does take a long time going over the same ground before it starts to give up the finds and find the hot spots. It is easy to give fields a quick going over, not find anything and think the fields are unproductive so seek new permissions.
Can you elaborate on that a bit please? I have only been detecting 18 months, and lost a few of those to the lockdown, but so far I have not seen any of my fields improve over time. I should add most of my ground consists of small paddocks/pasture...

Is it a case that over many visits you deliberately remove the iron that may be hiding the better stuff? Or are you talking about the plough bringing stuff up?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Carling 2

It takes certain circumstances for ( good stuff to be ploughed up) and it isn't common,, think of it like this if there's very little to find in a piece of land the chances are it will not improve however much ploughing you throw at it,, on the other hand if a field is really (busy) then things will usually surface until it can't be emptied no more.. Remember many fields don't have any hotspots and things can get ploughed under as well as up,,,,, I think of it like this as well as being in a decent site the timing as to be right as well,, this year's finds may not be accessible next year and visa versa.as for pasture its something you've got to bash away at and only you can decide if there's nowt else to find there there is no seasonal or finds change as in arable fields. Myself I don't like pasture as once it seems done there ain't a lot you can do about it, I have access to loads of arable and yes sorry to say the small percent of pasture on those farms were done a long time ago.
Oxgirl

Pete E wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:13 pm Can you elaborate on that a bit please? I have only been detecting 18 months, and lost a few of those to the lockdown, but so far I have not seen any of my fields improve over time. I should add most of my ground consists of small paddocks/pasture...

Is it a case that over many visits you deliberately remove the iron that may be hiding the better stuff? Or are you talking about the plough bringing stuff up?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
I can

One field on a 650 acre farm. Detected by numerous people for years. Most fields pretty thin pickings now. One pasture field I did 3 times and found nay on nothing. The grass was shortish but pretty wet. Next summer, after a dry spell and the hay taken in it came alive. Big silver, large bronze artefacts, large roman, lots of hammies. It rained and became a buckle fest and even a gold ring on a very iffy signal. Loads of others had been on it and decided it wasn’t productive. Everything is deep but you can find it with the right set up.

Another field of about 30 acres. Nothing of any great note. It’s ploughed every year and used for cereal crops. I went on it infrequently then this year it wasn’t planted in autumn as it was too wet. I had suspected there’d been a house in one part and so went over that area methodically And found lots of Stuart era farthings, trade tokens and buckles plus a few hammies. I’d learned where things would have been.

Sometimes you just get a eureka moment, maybe it’s the weather or ground conditions or maybe you just relax and concentrate when you decide there will be something there. There is something about knowing your land. It improves your finds rate because you slow down. If you think there is something there you’ll go slower, listen harder, swing closer to the ground. It works.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking