A day of halves

figgis

Which, if you stick the word "two" in that statement reminds me that the football season has started and we're in for months of trite catchphrases, glaringly obvious and unnecessary observation and cheating, overpaid nancyboys rolling about on the deck if someone so much as looks at them funny :roll: Stick em on a rugger pitch for five minutes to give a taste of a real contact sport, I say. But I digress...

What ho,

Got to the field just after "sparrow's" and what a lovely sunrise it was. The weather was perfect for detecting, and one could only wish one could say the same for the ground which, while nice and flat, was dry, fluffy, but also rock hard in places. Much like her ladyship, in fact, but without the fear factor :thumbsup:

The first signal of the day was one of the fine pewter tableware fragments and the second was a lovely fragment of Roman bracelet. (Well, I'm calling it a bracelet though it could equally be something like part of a cosmetics set.). It seemed the finds were going to match the weather :D
20200920_063702.jpg
I was going slowly with the x35 at 25khz and really only intending to cherry-pick from the surface, but even so, a couple of coins came up from decent depth. Unusually, the double-ding surface targets which I normally love this time filled me with dread: if the target was in a surface clod I was going to need nothing short of a tactical nuclear device to break it up and retrieve the goodies. We tried soaking the clods in tonic water but that was taking too long to take effect so in the end we employed a 9 iron, with the steel plate in Jenks's head providing the perfect anvil :thumbsup:

It was a very productive innings, but frustrating in that only half of the ancient (Roman) finds are readily identifiable. In the artefacts department we have a pin, bracelet and furniture fitting, but the others are likely to remain a mystery, and in the coin section we have a barbarous radiate (likely Tetricus) and one with an unusual reverse type I've not found before but identifiable, but the other two are goners.
obverses.jpg
reverses.jpg
Casting waste started to turn up again, which is interesting. I did wonder if these molten bronze lumps might be the result of a fire, but I've also found a few casting sprues so some sort of bronze working was going on here at some time. Anyway, would a fire get hot enough to melt bronze? It'd have to be a big one.
footpath field 19-09-20.jpg
All in all an interesting day of halves, which in the case of the soil was its digability, which in the case of the finds was their identifiability, and which in the case of Jenkins was his wit. But I'll happily take it :D

Pip pip :thumbsup: