I always thank the Ancient people of the past!

Cantiaci

It’s always worth having a word with the people from the past.

Hi all, Some of the areas Vosenos and I detect are sadly probably about to be out of bounds. It’s a huge shame but in turn we’ve been incredibly lucky to have been able to recover some amazing finds from these places over the years.
There’s endless stories that could be told about them and many of them totally and completely uncanny!
I’m a bit of an oddball at times and when finds have been scarce for the day I have been known to bury a cheese sandwich which has often brought results straight after👀.
So what turned out to possibly be the last time we could go to this certain field, before detecting I basically said out loud to the field “ We may not be back again so whoever was here thank you for helping us and giving up the things you lost so long ago” and then set off detecting.
It was tough going as it was like a desert and very fluffy soil, lots of false signals and iron. I did then manage to find my first ever complete brooch which was a 1stC dolphin type and then only small pieces of lead for the next hour or two.
I kept getting iron signals ( strong and faint ones) and digging them all .. and found unsurprisingly iron!
I was getting tired at this point and then another faint iron signal that I walked away from, then went back, then walked away, then went back again. I dug the signal and waved the detector over it and it was still a rubbish tone.
I will never know why I kept going back to it or why I then used my pin pointer on the plug of soil? But as I did something fell out of the clod and I yelled for Vosenos to come over before I picked it up.
We could see a horses butt showing through the attached soil and the one find I’ve always always Ever wanted to make was a gold coin of the Cantiaci ..and after a gentle wash and after 7 years searching there it was!

So maybe it was just coincidence.. just maybe.
Attachments
CCFCF266-E23B-40CC-B98D-F3F196999FA3.jpeg
CCFCF266-E23B-40CC-B98D-F3F196999FA3.jpeg (46.98 KiB) Viewed 758 times
17D5B36D-1C0B-4781-A564-9300779EF6D3.jpeg
CAF865D3-601D-4A33-BC48-47A9F71BD100.jpeg
Xp Deus ( not sure if it still works these days)
TerraBritannia

I am so envious! Great find. :thumbsup: :Party:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Oxgirl

Oh wow on both the cheese sandwich offering working again - I remember you did that before. Very, very envious - that’s a dream find.

Beautiful :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Vosenos II

Definitely a day to remember and will be forever in our minds.
I'm so pleased you went back to that iffy signal, someone was certainly on your side and telling you to do so!
Absolutely love that find and its like a rose gold too.. stunning and superb!! You more than deserved finding that :thumbsup: :Party: :Star:
shaggybfc

I have a new permission that I’ve spent 4 hours on so far, and at best it’s been meh. When I go next on Wednesday I’m taking a full picnic with me to bury. Hopefully it’ll bring me the same luck as your cheese sandwich :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Oxgirl

shaggybfc wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:43 pm I have a new permission that I’ve spent 4 hours on so far, and at best it’s been meh. When I go next on Wednesday I’m taking a full picnic with me to bury. Hopefully it’ll bring me the same luck as your cheese sandwich :thumbsup:
I gave a whole 2 finger kit kat on a trip recently and it gave me 2 romans. Be careful what you wish for :rollinglaughing:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

That, sir, is a stunning find and I like the story behind it :thumbsup:

Great move to go back to the signal. Almost every time I've ummed and ahhed about an iffy signal and then dug it, it's been to discover there was very good reason for the dodgy signal :D
Ladybird66

That’s the sort of coin that only appears in dreams.
Lovely, very well found. :thumbsup:
Paint

That a dream find :thumbsup: and I like the story I don’t make offerings myself but quite often toast the field and the people who lost there stuff :thumbsup:
Pitbull The Elder

That's not a bad shout actually. :thumbsup:
Asking the universe for what you want, they say it works. :Thinking:
Machine: Simplex+ Running v2.77. Standard coil
Pinpointer: Cheap and chearful GP (Fully Waterproof)
Field God Sacrifice of choice: Milk Chocolate Hobnobs
Dave The Slave

You certainly lived up to your name, you must be a descendant.
Well done, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Littleboot

great coin and lovely story....but then again a cheese sandwich is a helluva sacrificial offering and deserves nothing less. (especially mature cheddar.) :lol: :thumbsup:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
figgis

Pitbull The Elder wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:27 am Asking the universe for what you want, they say it works. :Thinking:
Ah, the old Cosmic Ordering, eh? I've known people who swear by it but they all lead disappointingly humdrum and moneyless lives if it's supposed to be working :lol:

I think you do connect with certain places (fields) more than others though. No idea what it is but if it does seem possible to establish a "bond" more with one area of dirt than another. Blowed if I'd be lobbing any lunch at it, mind. Some of my coffee, certainly, but my cheese & onion sambos are my own private domain :thumbsup:
alloverover

Very nice Steve, well done mate :thumbsup: I am sure ive said before, I always replace Celtic coins with a pound coin and even though searching the same areas, ive never re-found one of the pounds, make of that what you will :o

I am sure you can get back on there at least once, he who dares and all that :thumbsup:

Do we get a pic of the obverse mate ?
Allectus

Sooner part with a fiver than a cheese(Leicester or Shropshire red) sarnie! :lol: :lol:

Very well done there, Steve! :thumbsup:

A ;)