Gold hammered.....pics Added Now.

DaveP

What! No scale - what is this forum coming too :lol:

Beautiful find - well done.
Oxgirl

That really is a beauty. It’ll straighten really well too to become even more beautiful.

Very well done Jan. I bet you’ll be grinning all week :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
bob79

Oh very nice Jan😎, well found👍👍
Dave The Slave

That`s a superb coin, Jan.
Looks like it was lost shortly after minting, with that amount of detail.
Really pleased for you. :thumbsup:
Dave.
shaggybfc

Just what the doctor ordered.... nowt like gold to make you week, even year :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Littleboot

Pete E wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:52 am Another stunning find Jan...You obviously live in an area that was quite wealthy in the past...It makes you wonder how these people felt when they realised they'd lost such coins...
I think it had its ups and downs Pete but has always been highly fertile agricultural land which is the theme and behind a lot of the Old Money.
The local town had a chateau which was razed by the English during the 100 years war. And when they put a small single track branch line in during the late 19th century they sliced through a hill in the valley a kilometre or so away and it revealed 30 odd English soldiers of the period in a mass grave. The small hamlet i live in has no chateau or big house remaining but the name of it suggests some kind of fortification and it was mentioned in those terms in an 18th century antiquarian study. I have now come to think it referred perhaps to a marching camp of that period. Maybe the knights who were camped here never came back. I suspect, by the Roman bits and bobs and roads intersecting it, it may have been fortified even before that...it has a commanding view of all directions....and was then used again during the 14th century.
Because of the English obliterating the castle the town and area suffered a bit of a hit economically for a while...but rebounded in the late 16th and 17th century. Which is the period where the bulk of my finds originate from.
Andy....the signal was a bit up and down between 13 and 15. (The other gold hammereds I found with the 600 were really stable at 13) I think this is because it was bent in a specific way. I would always dig it....even though 13's are often bottle tops. And I admit that for a split second, because of how it was bent and in the context of the generally crap session I had had till then, I thought it was a bottle top. :)
Many thanks all for the comments. I will bask in this for a while and now i have every opportunity to get Pete to buy me a sand scoop for the beach for my birthday. :D
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Ladybird66

Oh my word, how on Earth has that survived in the ground for best part of 700 years. :shock:

What a stunning coin Jan. are you going to have it straitened ?
Littleboot

Ladybird66 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:32 pm Oh my word, how on Earth has that survived in the ground for best part of 700 years. :shock:

What a stunning coin Jan. are you going to have it straitened ?
I would like to...I have some other things i want straightening as well but i am not brave enough to do it myself and don't know who to ask. If anyone can recommend someone I'd be very pleased! My hubby suggested two beer mats and a bit of a welly with a hammer. :shock:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Ladybird66

😂😂😂😂 😢😢😢

Seriously Jan I, for one wouldn’t even think of doing it myself. It needs a Jeweller. Isn’t there one nearby ?
wittsy1

Beautiful and I am not the slightest bit envious. Very well done to you :clapping: :mrgreen:
joemole

that would be the find of a lifetime for me . what a beauty
Reiver

Wow ! What a coin.
Well saved. :clapping:
alloverover

Looks like an absolutely wonderfull coin Jan, really pleased for you :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Looks very similar to the King under canopy jettons with a very obvious difference, beautiful :D :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Cor!!!
What with that axe you found... are you sure you haven't raided the local museum.......?! :Thinking: :lol:
Blackadder43

Thanks for the photos Jan, that is a stunning find :clapping:
I still cant get over it was found in an area you have walked before....it really does go to show what we miss with each swing being just an inch out from a target
Will look stunning if you decide to have it straightened again
Well done :thumbsup: