Very toasted 'coin'

DaveP

Now I know you lot like a challenge :lol:

This one is about to go in the pile of other toasties but it has just enough to want to know more; although I think it may be beyond even "The Great A".

It's ~ 29mm in diameter and sounds like an old penny when you drop it on a hard surface.
It has some gold flecks (or brass) suggesting it was once bright and shiny.
On one side is what looks like a figure (when I picked it up I presumed Britannia) above what looks like a scroll -like pattern.
The other side has what appears to be (really hard to photograph) and off centred shield with crown on top.
It could be a coin or some form of commemorative item.

Curiosity has got the better of me (I know - I need to get out more :Thinking: )
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.07.46.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.01.02.jpg
I did have a passing thought that I could start re-burying little hoards of toasted coins :Thinking: :Thinking:
alloverover

Someone on horseback on the reverse, not sure if its Cumberland Jack or not :thumbsup:
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 850 times
DaveP

Well that's a new one on me so thank you :thumbsup: . I can't get the obverse to match Victoria whichever way around. I wasn't even sure which side to call the obverse as I couldn't make out a head.

I'll give it until the end of the day and then it's off to the bin of no return.
TerraBritannia

Dave, before you bin it (and if you're sure it's had it), try going over the surfaces with some scrunched up aluminium foil. I've done this on a few very worn coins and it sometimes does reveal some detail. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Carling 2

Quote. I did have a passing thought that I could start re-burying little hoards of toasted coins........... My front garden is full of coins in jars buried each with a little note of name and date buried,,, be several hoards in there for someone someday 😁😁
DaveP

TerraEnglandia wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:49 am Dave, before you bin it (and if you're sure it's had it), try going over the surfaces with some scrunched up aluminium foil. I've done this on a few very worn coins and it sometimes does reveal some detail. :thumbsup:
It had already had a rinse and soft scrub. Added the aluminium foil and we now have less detail than before! don't worry - it was definitely headed for the bin :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Its amazing some of the Roman coins come out in far better nick than these much later coins
I think most of us have a tub of "coins of nothingness" in our collections :thumbsup:
DaveP

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm I think most of us have a tub of "coins of nothingness" in our collections :thumbsup:
Yesterday I had a quick hour while I was picking up some horse feed. I dropped a large 'coin of nothingness' in to a hole as a little votive offering.
What did I get back in return - 5 blank buttons of disappointment! I think I'll have to up the ante :lol:
Oxgirl

DaveP wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:54 pm Yesterday I had a quick hour while I was picking up some horse feed. I dropped a large 'coin of nothingness' in to a hole as a little votive offering.
What did I get back in return - 5 blank buttons of disappointment! I think I'll have to up the ante :lol:
Na it has to be something that hurts to give it up - like chocolate hob nobs :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
DaveP

Well I've done things to this coin that one shouldn't do to a coin but as it's still heading for the bin there was nothing to lose! It was just annoying me and had to be ID'd
So here it is and what it should be.

Alloverover was right with "someone on horseback" - top marks sir :thumbsup:

1796 Portsea Promissory Halfpenny Fish and Ship, and reverse George and the Dragon: British Conder/Provincial Token
coin 1.jpg
coin2.jpg
Coin ID.jpg
Job done and off to the round filing cabinet :lol:
TerraBritannia

Everyone likes a happy ending. :thumbsup: :Party:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800