It's Twins!

Pete E

A few weeks ago I posted the spindle whorl below and learned that the design of these rope edged whorls originated here in North Wales, and once you move beyond, they are fairly rare although they do pop up in the neighboring counties of Cheshire and Shorphire now and again.

Roll forward to today and I was out for a few hours this afternoon on the same farm and found the second whorl below. This second one is a bit squashed, but it would have been near identical to the first when it was made.

The two whorls came from several fields apart, but the one from today came from within yards of where I found a decorated whorl last year..Interestingly, I have only found three whorls on this farm and they have all been decorated. Not sure if you can draw any conclusions from that, but time will tell what else comes up..
Attachments
A49E1AFE-E7FC-48CC-96BC-7183194F6E66.jpeg
341A39B9-EF52-47B2-9877-E8580D251E6A.jpeg
Littleboot

I suppose they could be described as curly whorlies...... 8-)

sorry.....i am assuming it is a wool producing area so it would be interesting to see if some bells come up as well.
Live long and prosper.
Allectus

Lots of those in North Whorls. :lol: :lol:

A ;)
Oxgirl

Great finds. Round Oxfordshire they all seem boringly plain!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

Littleboot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:03 pm I suppose they could be described as curly whorlies...... 8-)

sorry.....i am assuming it is a wool producing area so it would be interesting to see if some bells come up as well.
In 18 months detecting, I have never found a crotal bell and just one fragment that might have been from one...I am not sure if I have just been unlucky or whether they were just not used very much around here..
TerraBritannia

Pete E wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:14 pm In 18 months detecting, I have never found a crotal bell and just one fragment that might have been from one...I am not sure if I have just been unlucky or whether they were just not used very much around here..
Same here Peter!
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 pm Great finds. Round Oxfordshire they all seem boringly plain!
Most of my others are plain although I did find one the other day on a different farm that had faint traces of a pattern, but it was nearly worn smooth...
Pete E

TerraEnglandia wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:15 pm Same here Peter!
It must be down to local farming practices/traditions...Edited to add I've just searched the PAS data base for "crotal" and only eight are listed across the whole of Wales!

I do wonder if at least some of the crotal bells found down South were actually decorative harness bells and are therefore more common on old arable land...
Saffron

Pete E wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 pm It must be down to local farming practices/traditions...Edited to add I've just searched the PAS data base for "crotal" and only eight are listed across the whole of Wales!

I do wonder if at least some of the crotal bells found down South were actually decorative harness bells and are therefore more common on old arable land...
Your chances of finding a crotal bell mainly depends on where you live, as they are fairly common in some areas but very rare in other areas. Although I am on the edge of the Cotswolds, which were famous for the sheep and the money from the fleeces contributed to the building of most of the larger local churches, I have never found one locally although I have found several on digs in other areas.

To return to the original topic I do like that "rope edged" whorl, its the first time I have ever seen one. Again a localised item.

All the spindle whorls I have found until the other week had been plain, although I found one with a simple pattern on the Welsh borders (Herefordshire) a couple of weeks ago. I see Oxgirl says "Round Oxfordshire they all seem boringly plain!". Maybe again location is the key, very fancy "Rope edge" designs in North Wales, patterned as you move further away then plain once you move even further away?.

Evan
Pete E

Saffron wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:01 pm To return to the original topic I do like that "rope edged" whorl, its the first time I have ever seen one. Again a localised item.

All the spindle whorls I have found until the other week had been plain, although I found one with a simple pattern on the Welsh borders (Herefordshire) a couple of weeks ago. I see Oxgirl says "Round Oxfordshire they all seem boringly plain!". Maybe again location is the key, very fancy "Rope edge" designs in North Wales, patterned as you move further away then plain once you move even further away?.

Evan
Interesting theory Evan, and it's piqued my curiosity to the point that when I get a minute I will have a browse through the PAS data base and see what is recorded where...
figgis

Littleboot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:03 pm I suppose they could be described as curly whorlies...... 8-)
Allectus wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:04 pm Lots of those in North Whorls. :lol: :lol:

A ;)
Much more of that sort of behaviour and you two will be asked to leave :lol:
Pete E wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:26 pm I do wonder if at least some of the crotal bells found down South were actually decorative harness bells and are therefore more common on old arable land...
Almost certainly. There's a photo floating about somewhere showing a hames with several crotal bells on it :thumbsup:
joemole

TerraEnglandia wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:15 pm Same here Peter!
same here. been detecting county durham , yorkshire, and northumberland for about 2 year . found loads of decorated whorls but never even seen a crotal bell . its a bucket lister.
joemole

Pete E wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:54 pm A few weeks ago I posted the spindle whorl below and learned that the design of these rope edged whorls originated here in North Wales, and once you move beyond, they are fairly rare although they do pop up in the neighboring counties of Cheshire and Shorphire now and again.

Roll forward to today and I was out for a few hours this afternoon on the same farm and found the second whorl below. This second one is a bit squashed, but it would have been near identical to the first when it was made.

The two whorls came from several fields apart, but the one from today came from within yards of where I found a decorated whorl last year..Interestingly, I have only found three whorls on this farm and they have all been decorated. Not sure if you can draw any conclusions from that, but time will tell what else comes up..
never seen one like that before. nice one
Littleboot

figgis wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:09 am Much more of that sort of behaviour and you two will be asked to leave :lol:

Ah! I thought it wouldn't be long before the Brave New Whorld / New Whorld Order reared its head..... :roll: :lol:
Live long and prosper.
figgis

Littleboot wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:58 pm Ah! I thought it wouldn't be long before the Brave New Whorld / New Whorld Order reared its head..... :roll: :lol:
Gawd, some people just have to push and push, don't they? :lol: :lol: