Conversation

Saffron

As I was getting the detecting kit out of the back of the car to go to a small permission on the edge of the village the other day a lady who lives in a house over looking it came out and said "I was hoping to catch you". We have known each other for many years and get on fine but normally I would not expect her to come out to talk so was slightly surprised.

She starts of "My daughter has just bought a new house" (do I care) ...
"Its just by an old castle with lots of history" (yes I do care) ....
"It has a large paddock" (that is perfect) ....
She then tells me all about the castle and its history (very interesting!) ....
"You go metal detecting" (Yes, when can I go to detect it!) ....

As you can imagine by now I am paying a lot of attention !!!
:Party: :Party: :Party: :Party: :Party:

Then she goes on ...
"My daughter has 2 boys .... I would like to get them metal detectors for Christmas so they can detect the paddock.... what would you recommend?"

What a let down. :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out: :thumbdown:

As she has 2 grandchildren and rightly wants to get them the same I could not even sell her my old Garrett 250.

Evan
Pete E

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TerraBritannia

That is so cruel. :Thinking: :lol:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
shaggybfc

I’m sure they’ll need some tuition. Make an offer, even a day on the paddock could be beneficial. :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Oxgirl

Offer to help them. Set them up. Suggest they go get going and you’ll catch them in 30 minutes. Go detecting. Check on them. Repeat.

Sorted :thumbsup: :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

Shaggy, Oxgirl, I like the idea ..... but ...

Obviously I had thought of that but sadly its a dead duck.

Firstly I have never even met the ladies daughter let alone her grandchildren.

However the real killer to that idea is that it is over 170 miles each way to where they live.

Additionally I know that they are not able to do any work on the land or "do any digging" (to qoute the lady) with out permission and involving the archaeologists (I did warn the lady that this might include a ban on metal detecting!). I know that the castle and immediate area is a scheduled site and that the padock "Is adjacent to the castle" so wonder if it could be!.

Finally I also know 2 people that detect in that general area and its fairly barren.

If it was within sensible driving distance (even 100 miles each way) I would investigate but in this case sadly I think its not worth the effort.

Evan
figgis

:lol:

That story puts me in mind of my dad, who would make a great show of unwrapping a sweet, extend it to the victim of his choice and, as the young cakehole opened, hatchling-like, to receive the gift, he reversed direction and stuffed it in his own gob. (He always followed up by actually giving a sweet to the poor mite though. It helped stop the tears :lol: )

Shame there wasn't an opening for you there this time, Evan. But maybe someone else is busily unwrapping another sweetie for you as we speak :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

That’s a shame, but good karma will pay you a visit for the advise you give her so far.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Carling 2

Hey a farmer of mine where I once was finding loads of stuff on his farm,, 1000 acres on a roman roan loads of roman and medieval etc,, says to me his sister as a farm and here's the number give her a call and she's interested in you doing her farm.. I did,, it was 800 acre estate with a moated 13thc Manor house, with a roman camp in the grounds and next to the biggest bronze age hill Fort in the County,, now 7 years on I think I've found 10 hammereds down there and 2 roman bronze and its 90% arable,,, the land don't mean nothing... what's underneath used to count 🤔🤔😁
Blackadder43

Emotional roller coaster in that conversation for a detectorist
Unlucky on this one Evan, but as mentioned, Karma will come your way for the help and advice you willingly gave :thumbsup:
the-roman

That's a real shame mate but as is often the case the most lucrative looking site can be a real let down compared to an accidental site find which can produce for years :thumbsup:
Saffron

You will not believe this.

I had not seen the lady nor her husband since I put up my initial post. But saw the ladies husband on Friday. After a few minutes general chat he said "You must find a lot when detecting in that paddock as you keep coming back to it". Thinking "If only!", I go on to say I have found a nice Liverpool token in the paddock and an old William and Mary coin in what was the adjacent orchard, but explain that I keep going back purely because its right on my doorstep so handy for a short session if I want to quickly go out and get some fresh air rather than due to what I find there - which is the case.

I did not believe his respose, "Oh only the one token. We frequently find tokens in our garden when digging" :o :o

Honestly you could have knocked me over with a feather.

But please do not suggest that I ask if I could detect in their garden, I know how fussy they are about it and the time they spend keeping it just perfect. :pulling hair out:

The house does not even have any specially history (OK its old, but not as old as most in the village), and I have no indication of it ever being anything other than a house (eg its never been a shop or pub).

Evan
figgis

Wildlife and detectorists share one thing in common - the fact that perfect lawns are something to be looked at rather than benefitted from :thumbdown: