Finally found a rose farthing.

Jamesey1981

A space opening up on my club dig when it wasn't really my turn (we're keeping them to 6 to make sure we stay out of trouble) coincided nicely with me being thoroughly sick of packing for my house move so I managed to get out today for the first time in ages.

Had an ok day with a nice button, a lovely little buckle complete with its pin, some pistol and musket balls and a set of three matching buttons with stars on them that I am guessing are US army but not sure yet.

My favourite find was a little Charles 1st rose farthing, definitely not a type 1 but I think it's too toasted to tell whether it's a 2 or 3, I would guess 2 though as they're the most common and I think the type 3 has the scepters crossed under the crown.

The photos don't really show it that well, you can see part of CAROLVS on the coin but I can't get it to come out in the photo very well, I've packed my light box and good camera though so that's the best I can do.

Bit knackered but I have wanted to find one of these for ages so I'm pretty happy.
Attachments
20200927_152405.jpg
20200927_152736.jpg
20200927_173044.jpg
20200927_173100.jpg
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
figgis

Good to be able to scratch an itch that's been bugging you, eh? Well done :thumbsup:

Mind you, I'm in a similar boat in that while others seem to find these things in great numbers I've only ever found one and I thought that was a toasted Roman :oops: :D

Best of luck with the house move :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Nice one! They never seem to come out well... presumably because they are so thin....
Pete E

Not found a Rose Farthing as yet, so it's still on my bucket list...I very much like the buckle too..Any idea what period its likely to be from?
Jamesey1981

I've seen pictures of good ones, but I think they must be pretty few and far between and just down to lucky ground conditions, a thin bit of hammered copper having all manner of farming chemicals sprayed onto it for a few hundred years stands very little chance of looking good when it's dug up, although it looks better than I will when I've been buried that long!

I wonder if they'd survive better in pasture?

Must admit when I dug it up I thought it was a worn thin roman, but gave it a squirt and it revealed the rose.

The buckle is a bit hard to date, my book reckons that it's likely 12th to 15th century and it certainly looks like it has some age to it, but you'll still find similar buckles on horse tack now so can't really be sure, it is tiny though, only about 8 mm at the widest part.

the-roman

Always good to get a first, well done :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Really pleased you ticked another thing off your list. I’d not found one until 18 months ago and now those farthings pop up with alarming frequency - mainly Charles ones but some James too. They are very thin and most ain’t in the best of condition but you get an odd nice one. Funny things as they can be perfectly round or very square. My best ones come up on one pasture field and one ploughed field - they survive well in plough :thumbsup:

Anyway your tiny buckle is generally dated 1300-1500. Love that one, very nice :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Jamesey1981

Here's the big button I found as well, thought I posted it before but must have missed it. Rather a nice one, would have been right over the top when it was worn!

Nice to hear that good rose farthings come up more often that I thought, I'll cross my fingers for a nicer one on the next trip out.
Attachments
20200927_152348.jpg

Littleboot

Great to find something you have never got before....and these give satisfaction because they are a challenge being so small. We get hammered coppers a lot over here in France...much more common than in the UK....but they are so fragile it is hard to get one with any detail on whatsoever. Just discs of nothingness. If they are on plough soil they get abraded and monsanto'd into oblivion and on pasture they are hard because they are so small and often out of range.
To me, the buckle looks the same age as the coin....maybe a smidge earlier.
Live long and prosper.
Jamesey1981

Littleboot wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 am Great to find something you have never got before....and these give satisfaction because they are a challenge being so small. We get hammered coppers a lot over here in France...much more common than in the UK....but they are so fragile it is hard to get one with any detail on whatsoever. Just discs of nothingness. If they are on plough soil they get abraded and monsanto'd into oblivion and on pasture they are hard because they are so small and often out of range.
To me, the buckle looks the same age as the coin....maybe a smidge earlier.
There's certainly some history on this farm, a nice roman came up a few weeks ago and it's where I found my silver unit, different fields but not far away, this field was very close to a 13th century church so I had high hopes for it, but there weren't many good finds, but then there weren't many of us swinging, we can't have covered much of the land.
Can't complain as I had a few nice bits though.