Cool Discovery.

Pitbull The Elder

Just been going through a few bits and pieces to pack for Saturday's jolly and I came across this.
IMG_20200928_203535.jpg
For those of you who have not seen one before it's one of those cameras that you plug into your phone. Not just an ordinary one though, this is one of those ones that you can stick up your nose or in your ear to scrape your gunge out. (Attachments provided lol) I just came across it you understand, I wasn't going to take it with me. Honest! 🙄
It was ridiculously cheap on Amazon.
This thing will take pictures from 10-mm away, which is exactly what it was designed to do and if you haven't got macro on your your phone camera this is the next best thing. We've all been there, trying to get a close-up of something and it just keeps going out of focus. Check this out:
IMG-20200928-WA0000.jpg
I'm guessing you would take much clearer pictures in natural daylight.
For the technophobes among you there is always this option.
16013221830108566062080054677469.jpg
The jewellers eye glass. I picked it up in a tool shop. This one was being used for looking at tips of saw blade teeth, until I flashed my baby blues and the lady behind the counter gave it to me. 😏🤗
It maybe a bit Heath Robinson but It gets you a proper close up view. With a little bit of adapting and perseverance you can achieve decent results.
IMG-20200928-WA0001.jpg
If you're anything like me you're always looking for tips and hints. Hope this helps. 😀
Machine: Simplex+ Running v2.77. Standard coil
Pinpointer: Cheap and chearful GP (Fully Waterproof)
Field God Sacrifice of choice: Milk Chocolate Hobnobs
Littleboot

Very useful piece of kit. The picture of the Farthing trumps anything i could take......
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Oxgirl

Very interesting read, thank you :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Mucky

When photographing finds I very often have found myself putting the camera into macro mode and then hold a jewellers loupe over the lense. It can be tricky but does work! :thumbsup:
coal digger

I used a digital microscope when I dealt in Roman coins,some clients wanted a detailed pic of the surface,a macro attachment on the iPhone does the job for normal pics though.
Divide and Conquer
Pitbull The Elder

Somebody bought me some lens attachments for my phone phone as a birthday present one year.
I really must try and look them out. I've never used them. 🙄
DaveP

I've been wondering why I keep seeing adverts for earwax removal!

I had a look at an iPhone app for macro photography so no additional lenses needed. Camera +2 is on the App store. It gives you a bit more control over exposure and goes to 3x magnification. Price £4.99. For what you can already do with an iPhone camera (other phones are available) I'm not sure I would bother. The macro image (left) is a little better but not so much that I would worry. It may be better for nature-based macro stuff but not for coins.
I've enlarged the standard iPhone picture to the same portrait size as the macro image just for comparison.
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 13.29.07.jpg
Keep in mind the picture is an exported screenshot reduced by about 50% file size.

Equipment used. iPhone. App. Straight pint glass (empty at the moment).

Equipment needed - iPhone.

Equipment desired - full pint glass :lol:
Pitbull The Elder

This is the latest bit of kit, looks pretty cool to me.
Saffron

I live right out in the sticks so can not get even a basic 2G mobile signal, so therefore do not have a mobile phone.

Therefore in my case this thread is of no use what so ever :thumbdown:

However, there it contains a mass of good stuff for most forum members that do have mobile phones :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So folks do keep these kind of tips coming.

Evan