First innings of a New Season

Dave The Slave

Coming in to bat at 109, had assumed it was 204 as it seems everyone else has opened their account but 95 have failed to notch up a run.
New batting strip for this season, next door to last years. Last year had seen this field ploughed. Just hope they have brought things to the surface, rather than burying them deeper. Pleasant day, sun & cloud, main thing it was dry.
Decided to walk down to the bottom boundary, stubble around 4" high but could slice through it in places. First signal gave me a wry smile, a shottie but i had not found one for about 6 months. Second signal a pinfire. Last year found 5 of these but this one was different because instead of 12 it was embossed 14, which as an ex shooter had not come across that bore before. Eley Bros , London.
Have looked on a very detailed Eley head stamp site and not found this particular example, although there were lots of other 14 bores through the years but assuming it to be Mid Victorian around 1870 ish. Technically although a shottie, a pleasing find for me.
Over the next 3 hours amassed 24 runs, no big hits, just the odd single here and there, this pace was making Boycs look like Beefy. A couple of non descript buttons, part of a buckle, back of a button that was Gilded and says Gold Twist London.
Image.
Finally after nearly 3 hrs, welcome sight of a coin, as per usual all the detail has gone. Has a diameter of 27 mm, some kind of Halfpenny, Think i can just make out Georgius on there.
Three hours went very quickly, probably covered 200yds and then back again, one sweep further into the field.. Looking forward to next week, going to finish that boundary and then grid the far corner.
Cheers all, :thumbsup:
Dave.
TheFenTiger

I had a 14 and I gave it to my landowner who is a keen shooter and he was really pleased as he had never seen a pinfire before. I also had a slightly larger one which I think was a 16 gauge. He also hadn't come across a 14.
Dave
Blackadder43

Thats in good nick for the pin :thumbsup: ...ones i find dont usually survive all that well

Even a humble firing pin can spark interest with your landowners, opens up more conversation and knowledge of the land
Dave The Slave

TheFenTiger wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:39 pm I had a 14 and I gave it to my landowner who is a keen shooter and he was really pleased as he had never seen a pinfire before. I also had a slightly larger one which I think was a 16 gauge. He also hadn't come across a 14.
Slightly larger could be a 10 or possibly a 12/14. Normally the larger the number, the smaller the diameter, i was familiar with a 20 Bore as well as 12 Bore. Always worth a look at the shotties we find, could be a local maker rather than a major manufacturer.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Good to see you back out again, Dave :thumbsup:
Littleboot

Well you are back at the crease Dave,......a solid front foot 'shot' there. :lol: I think the innings will build until you will be sweeping boundaries and straight driving sixes over the bowler's head.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Kenleyboy

Nice one Dave , back out again , enjoy reading your posts , the reality of detecting :thumbsup:
Easylife

Pinfire's are pretty cool! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.