An injured soldier & geoff hurst

joemole

Todays group dig was cancelled so i hit the woods out the back of my house . Just as i expected it was full of bottle tops and ring pulls. 2 pen knives . Deep iron and £2.26 in change an old penny . The only interesting finds were a WW1 DISABLED SOLDIERS & SAILORS lapel badge and a 1970 world cup token . Still enjoyed the fresh air and the peace for a couple of hours . 😊
20201001_181258.jpg
20201001_181354.jpg
20201001_181207.jpg
Oxgirl

Looks like you had some good targets there. Was the digging hard work or not too bad? I’ve not spent long in woods as my limited experience hasn’t been good. I guess I’ve been avoiding another poor experience :?
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
joemole

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:40 pm Looks like you had some good targets there. Was the digging hard work or not too bad? I’ve not spent long in woods as my limited experience hasn’t been good. I guess I’ve been avoiding another poor experience :?
Alot of roots to cut through . Alot of junk off kids camping . But it gets you away from the madness .
Littleboot

Both interesting pieces of social history we can still relate to......one of my grandads had shrapnel in his leg till the day he died in 1979.
And Geoff Hurst....I bet people in my generation have two things in their mind regarding that. First of course the 'They think it's all over' from 1966....and the other is very much about the World Cup in 1970 when this medal dates. That awful World Cup song which was premiered on TOTP with the squad 'singing' it....For the Folks Back Home.....etc etc Altogether now.....(Nothing better than starting the day for folks with an earworm. But you have to be a certain vintage to be infected with this one.....)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNimaPSkpPY :D

I have some woodland permissions and I think it depends on the wood....in France they are mercifully free of general detritus but you have to make decisions about which signals you are going to dig at the get go otherwise a bag of shotties and ammo is guaranteed. I know trying not to dig them means I am missing some things but on balance in that situation it is better in the round if I don't. So it isn't so much the spent ammo that is a hazard but the live stuff....because hunters are a constant hazard here. Not to mention the boar. So I tend to only go into the woods if I am with Pete and he goes in front to draw their fire. :lol:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
joemole

Littleboot wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:13 am Both interesting pieces of social history we can still relate to......one of my grandads had shrapnel in his leg till the day he died in 1979.
And Geoff Hurst....I bet people in my generation have two things in their mind regarding that. First of course the 'They think it's all over' from 1966....and the other is very much about the World Cup in 1970 when this medal dates. That awful World Cup song which was premiered on TOTP with the squad 'singing' it....For the Folks Back Home.....etc etc Altogether now.....(Nothing better than starting the day for folks with an earworm. But you have to be a certain vintage to be infected with this one.....)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNimaPSkpPY :D

I have some woodland permissions and I think it depends on the wood....in France they are mercifully free of general detritus but you have to make decisions about which signals you are going to dig at the get go otherwise a bag of shotties and ammo is guaranteed. I know trying not to dig them means I am missing some things but on balance in that situation it is better in the round if I don't. So it isn't so much the spent ammo that is a hazard but the live stuff....because hunters are a constant hazard here. Not to mention the boar. So I tend to only go into the woods if I am with Pete and he goes in front to draw their fire. :lol:
haha that song is terrible i'm pleased im too young to remember it ( i was born in 1971). as for wild boars , i wouldnt be going near the woods, what happens if they see you . do they charge at you ? theres been none round these parts for about 800 years.
figgis

You'll be old enough to remember Scotland's 1978 song "Ally's Tartan Army" which was even worse, Joe :lol:
Dave The Slave

Two great bits of social History.
Not heard of the WW1 Service mans item before.
As for the Esso token, would have been ironic if that was your last find of the day, especially if you had over run your schedule.
Fair amount of modern change.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.