Anyone detect beaches only ?

Dave The Slave

Lucky enough to live 10 mins away from miles of beach but don`t detect there as much as i used to.
Two reasons:
1. Change of job 5 years ago. Went from doing 12hr Continentals, 4 days on, 3 off, 4 Nights on 3 off, then 3 days on followed by 3 Nights, then a week off. In a 4 week rota 14 shifts on. Gave a lot of free time to detect.
New job, permanent Nights, 5 per week 8hr shifts, means to do beach detecting have to sacrifice sleep on day off, already sleeping less than 20hrs over Monday to Saturday.

2. In the old job did not have inland permission, therefore beach was only place to go.

When i do go to the beach, either afternoons over winter, or a few at dawn in the summer.
I do prefer inland where History is to be found but a coin hunt on the beach is exciting, although this year must have set a record for bottle tops, most of them had Corona on them.
You can`t have everything but i am lucky that the beach is always there.
Good luck everyone. :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

I live 5 minutes from 7 miles of beach, with known history of visitors since the Victorian era, plus further down Viking activity

We also have a lot of ammunitions found on our beaches
Only the other day 2 Torpedos were found (not by detecting)
These turned out to be dummy ones filled with concrete!...but were subsequently blown up for good measure :thumbsup:
Brean down and surrounding areas was used a lot during the war, apparently for practice etc

But i dont detect it !
Silly really as i can walk there easily and have a few hours

When i first started i was always on the beach, loved finding the sixpences and lots of other pre decimal coinage.
Never found any rings though, but back then the machines technology and my young whizzing about mind probably made me miss those :ugeek:

I should make an effort really, but i am not a people person, and feel awkward with folk watching or coming over to chat and ask "found any treasure mister?" :lol:

Lots of people do very well on the beaches though and have also found Roman and Saxon items, specially where the cliffs erode etc.

We have an interesting area too as the Vikings apparently came up our estuary and landed in weston super mare and had a mooch around
There was a young lad many years ago who found a viking sword on the banks of the River Axe!

If you are close to a beach, then its a good place to cut your teeth in our hobby, especially if you are struggling to find land permissions.
It can tide you over until you manage to secure a permission....

Good thread and will be interesting to hear others experiences of the beaches in the UK and abroad for that matter, laws allowing of course.
:thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

As you already know Bruce, your beach , was my first experience of Coastal detecting in the late 70`s, as i was still in Shropshire back then.
Never did go around the old swimming pool there, apart from crab fishing. but do remember digging a deep hole alongside the jetty with my brother after finding a cannon ( large chunk of cast iron pipe ). Those old C scopes went deep.
Do agree with you about being on show.
Happy days, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Kenleyboy

I have never detected the beaches and we have plenty up here within a 45 minutes drive , one notable area being Hunstanton where we usually take the whippets for a huge run on miles of open beach . I have seen a few people metal detecting but never approached them for a chat , I am guessing like me they would rather be left alone and enjoy their time out .
The other issue I see popping up time and time again is the confusion as to where you can and cannot go metal detecting , Crown Estate seems fine but I gather you need to do a bit of homework just in case the land is private or owned by the National Trust etc , with that in mind I can't be asked . However if I didn't have an inland permission then I would make the effort and give it a try and I would imagine it would be fun to have a go on the beaches . The other good thing is a lot of the beaches on the Norfolk coast are desolate once the summer season is over and this is when I usually see people metal detecting when the crowds have gone .
Blackadder43

Sadly the old swimming pool and the remnants of the one to the left of the Jetty are now both gone
Shame as the swimming pool was built from donations from a local business family
The council said it cost too much to upkeep :thumbdown:

People are still finding sixpences and my wife gave me a reason for a few of them
Back in the day they used to hold regular sand castle building competitions, and the prize was often a shiny sixpence
Quite a loss for a youngster i imagine

i did find a Somerset Light infantry badge many years ago, in quite a bad state, but still able to read and ID it :thumbsup:
Pete E

I have to say I just can't get into beach detecting...I don't detect to make money so not really interested in targeting modern coins or jewellery, and rightly or wrongly, I don't think most beaches produce much in the way of historic finds? By that I mean say pre 1600...

I know certain beaches throw up hammereds from offshore ship wrecks, and occasionally other relics are found, but I believe these are the exception...
shaggybfc

Living in Warwickshire, it’s a good old drive the beach. I’ve taken the machine with me a few times on coastal holidays, but have never really done much, and what I did find was either corroded modern coins or moulten aluminium.
Inland detecting for me.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Oxgirl

Never beach detected, it just doesn’t excite me I’m afraid :)
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

As its about 1 1/2hrs to my nearest beach (allowing motorway is clear!, which seems a rare event these days) I rarely beach detect.

However, as my permissions are nearly all old pasture they can not sensibly be detected when its dry and hot in the summer so I do make the odd trip to the beach.

It certainly makes a change, both of scene and type of detecting. As its a fair drive I will make a day of it and call into a pub or cafe so all around it makes a day out and change from the daily routine.

I will not detect if there are too many people around but I do not mind the odd dog walker comeing over for a quick chat or to see if I have found any thing.

One beach I have detected several times has produced a fair number of pre-decimal coins (mainly Victoria onwards), but otherwise its been mainly modern coins. Although I have been lucky enough to find a couple of rings.

However, its not really "my thing" as I prefer finding "history" and items that can be researched. Also the amount of ringpulls and bottle tops on most beaches can be depressing - why do people now leave so much rubbish on the beaches?

Where I find beaches can also come in handy is if away from your normal area it gives an option to go detecting.

But to get the best out of beach detecting you need to know the beach well, so that you can tell where sand has been dropped or moved from - knowing this is vital to succesful beach detecing, so "locals" will always have a significant advantage over the person that is on holiday or just does the odd beach session.

Evan
Dave The Slave

Saffron wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:12 am
. Also the amount of ringpulls and bottle tops on most beaches can be depressing - why do people now leave so much rubbish on the beaches?

Where I find beaches can also come in handy is if away from your normal area it gives an option to go detecting.

Evan
Laziness due to the general decline in society.
Bournemouth has a pier as does Boscombe around a mile from there.
Do not detect any where near those or in between..

Your second sentence has highlighted the fact, that without the beach, there would be no chance for me to detect from say April to October and prior to 4 years ago, the beach was my only option.

Detecting full stop, allows me to escape life for however long i am out for and it is always a disappointment, when the time to return home arrives. Beach detecting for me is not about money, although a couple of quid to cover petrol is handy, anything else is a bonus to the me time.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Pete E

Dave

If you like coast so much, have you ever tried beach fishing? You could detect on the low tide and then do a bit of fishing as the tide in..It's very relaxing and a great way to wind down/chill..

Regards

Peter
Littleboot

Up until last year I had not done any beach detecting for several years...because I had the GMP which is absolutely useless on the beach. This despite being only an hour away from some really nice Normandy beaches (not landing beaches I am glad to say). When i had the Tesoro I used to do the dry sand but mow I have the Nox I will be venturing into the wet stuff. I have ordered a sand scoop ...it is my birthday present....and it is due to arrive tomorrow. I gave my Nox a small go on the sand a couple of months ago but I found digging the wet a nightmare and knew I couldn't short-cut on the kit.
The beaches in France....like France in general....are very largely litter free. A few bottle caps but nothing gratuitous. I must say that when I get back to the UK I am now shocked by the sheer amount of trash strewn around. People who are very tidy within their own garden boundary seem oblivious to litter just outside the gate. I notice it even more now because seeing litter of any description over here comes as a surprise.

i love the beach...it doesn't matter what the season is. It is so liberating and refreshing to the spirit.
Live long and prosper.