US lead seal,Updated, Chemical Warfare Service !

Dave The Slave

Really looking forward to yesterday.
Had closely been watching the weather for my detecting location in the previous rain soaked days and the forecast had gone from showers to cloud, with rain at 2pm which is when i leave there. Installed new batteries to maximise my chances of signals.
Arrived and parked up in a new spot that would save me trekking all the way across the field to finish off the far boundary.
First signal was a rosette shaped piece of Copper alloy, something modern.
Moving along the hedge, could see some deer across the field, thought one was coming towards me and stopped about 40yds away but was hidden by the curvature of the hedge. Then it came closer but was in fact a Hare in its summer fur. We stood watching each other for 5 minutes, a glorious view. Saw the Hare another couple of times during the session and was a memorable encounter.
Back to the detecting, not much coming up, best and final piece was the lead US seal. Assuming it is WW2 era as they had a presence in the area and i had found another of a different design, from an ammunition crate in last years field. This was to be my final find after an hour and a half.
Noticed that every time i swung the coil to the left, it was registering a signal. There is a problem with the coil fittings. Have put in 2 sets of washers and bolts, which does as a short term fix but the coil lugs are also bent. Where the ground i have detected over the past 4 seasons is so stony, have worn away 3 coil covers and now there is a chunk out of the coil.
Looking at the Regton website last night, for a straight replacement of coil , plus lower shaft, noticed those Nel coils, everyone seems to talk about are actually cheaper than the stock coil, which i was going to go for and include the coil cover. With this in mind am going to opt for the Nel Tornado. Not a person who upgrades but this seems a better coil at a cheaper price. The stock coil lasted 4 years and has paid for the machine on the beach, so next week will be using my largest coil ever.
Good luck everyone.
Dave.
figgis

Most of the foreign bag seals I've seen are Russian, so well done on turning up one from the US, Dave :thumbsup:

I've only heard good things about the Nel Tornado and it'll be interesting to hear how you get on with it.
joemole

When i had a Garrett i bought a nel tornado coil . You wont regret buying 1 . Loads more depth and loads more finds . I often wish i kept the garret . The lad i sold it too found a hammered coin on his first ever outing .
TheFenTiger

I have a few of those US ammo box seals.

You won't regret the Nel Tornado
Dave
Oxgirl

TheFenTiger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:40 pm I have a few of those US ammo box seals.
Ammo box seal? Great ID FenTiger :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
TheFenTiger

The ones I have have the flaming grenade on like this.

http://bagseals.org/bagseals_001_001/PaulOUSBombSeal3
Dave
Littleboot

sounds like a great day Dave....hares are very impressive animals. Very rangy and much bigger than one imagines. I can well understand mistaking one for a muntjac deer. We have been honoured to have a couple of leverets in our garden this year...We had one that we saw small in march (very suitable!) and it was really almost full grown in June. Then in June we had a tiny one hiding in the geraniums. Could fit on a hand...but it is quite big now. They keep so still and you have to almost tread on them before they move. We occasionally see them at the bottom of the meadow now...their ears are incredible. I love seeing them swivel about. Something very medieval about a hare...if you see what I mean. :lol:

Not seen a seal like that before...it will be one for the experts on ordnance . A great piece of history from that period....which is increasingly popular these days I feel. it is just slipping out of range...so I guess that is why.
Congrats on the coil prospects....I have felt for a while that a bit of an oomph depth-wise would be a boon on your permissions and I bet you are excited by the prospect. :thumbsup:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Dave The Slave

TheFenTiger wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:22 pm The ones I have have the flaming grenade on like this.

http://bagseals.org/bagseals_001_001/PaulOUSBombSeal3
Thanks for the link, will have a look through it. The seal last season was the one with the grenade.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Dave The Slave

Update on the US lead seal.
Has now been included on the StuE database.
http://www.bagseals.org/gallery/main.ph ... emId=37924.
Dave.
Dave The Slave

Significant update.
Amazing how a tiny piece of lead can lead you on a quest, a quest to know more.
Decided to try the US for possible leads on the lead seal. Following reply received within minutes of sending.
" Good morning Dave!
That is a great WWII lead seal you found! It is not from ordnance box. It is the seal for the U.S. Army Chemical Warfare Department. That would have been on a crate for chemical related items: gas masks or filters, chemical gas grenades, chemical gas rifle grenades or 4.2 inch mortar shells...just to name a few examples.
May I share the photos on the facebook fan page of your find?
Keep hunting! Well done,
Thanks,
Van "
Checking the Chemical Corps website, they were known as the U.S Army Chemical Services ( cws ) before 1946.
Their Emblem on the seal is, a Benzene ring superimposed over crossed retorts.
Retorts ?
Dropped out of Chemistry as i could not grasp the subject.
Retort, Device used for Distillation of Substances.
Well you learn something new everyday, several things.
Conclusive ID.
Dave.
Pete E

That's very interesting indeed...it's amazing what this hobby can turn up at times.....
Saffron

Dave very many thanks for that interesting update.

I knew an item like this should be able to be identified without too much trouble (IF you knew where to look!!), and admit as you said it was near an airfield I went through a mass of USAF badges looking for a match (the number of Army options prevented me going that far!).

This is why I love this kind of item, it might be "just a bit of lead", but it can be researched and you can learn so much as a result.
We know it belonged to the US Army Chemical Warfare Department.
We have learnt what this unit did (there is lots of detailed information on the web)
We know the time frame (the USA joined WWII after the attack on Pearl Habour in Dec 1941 and Germany surrenderd on 7 May 1945 so it would have been from this short time frame).
Maybe more research might reveal when a US Army Chemical Warfare Department unit was at the airfield, giving a reduced time frame and further pinning down the exact unit.

But as for a hammy all it does is give a date range (which can be quite wide) and a monarch, and no chance of further research or learning anything.

Evan