Scary cows and a few showers

Oxgirl

Gawd this covid thing is seriously annoying me now. Not for the usual reasons but because my oldest daughter (17) has one week in college and the next at home being taught via zoom :shock:

It’s day 2 of the week she’s at home and I had to escape or I might have killed her :lol:

Anyways as it’s been so wet my favourite buckle field seemed like a good option. It has a few cows in it, well about 20 but they ignored me on the last visit so I decided to pretend they weren’t there and not worry about them.

The first 30 minutes went well and the grass is super short now with, for the first time in months, moisture levels that penetrate more than a centimetre or so down. Everything on this field is deep and there’s very little iron and pretty much no trash. It goes really quiet when it’s dry though so I was enjoying the fact it had come alive again, although finds aren’t as frequent as they once were.

I’m now being methodical on the field. Most of the time, over the last year or so, I’ve wandered freely but I know I need to do things more thoroughly. That means slow, very low coil and an informal gridding of an area. The occasional high pitched tone makes my heart beat faster as I know there’s great stuff on this field. The first hole didn’t disappoint 9” down was a copper coin. Pretty corroded but gave me hope of more. The second hole was a 17th century buckle and the third a musket ball. After a break for a rain shower I resumed and was rewarded with another musket ball, a surprise surface find of a Vicky halfpenny and a bit of a copper pot. The next hole gave me a big bit of lead. I liked this one though as it had punch marks adding to my theory that leather or metalwork or similar was practised on this site.
E235EFC8-02F3-4D4B-A935-A806A40B4AC9.jpeg
CA687AB4-9CAF-40B7-85E7-1ED50895C727.jpeg

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a cow trundling towards me. I was soon surrounded by the whole herd and their accompanying flies. Cows don’t generally scare me but this lot have gown a lot since the spring and aren’t young bullocks anymore, they’re pretty big. One, the ring leader, wasn’t having any movement either and was in front of me and not moving even when I went towards him, eyeballing me all the time. Another nudged me in the back pretty hard and so with 20 plus big cows acting like menacing teenagers I decided to abandon the very good signal I’d just found and get out of there. The gate to the next field was quickly found and used!

Heck, I thought, now I’m in the rubbish field. Actually that’s really rather unfair as there’s been some good finds in this field. To prove me wrong the first signal was a part of a skillet/cauldron foot at 10” and then the hook/ pilgrim thingy from this thread . A few musket balls, another post medieval buckle, a stud, more musket balls and a Vicki farthing and a Swiss 5 centimes (thought it was silver but no it’s nickel) later I decided to call it a day.

I was going to go to a new permission tomorrow where the farmer says I’m fine to detect around his cows and their calves. Don’t think so! I’m heading for the sheep field, they are much easier :D I’ll let you know how I get on :thumbsup:
71752858-3B46-484D-ADD9-41F605F2C7CE.jpeg
8D8F06E1-D0C2-4A8D-B01F-04DF73EF9945.jpeg
4418E6CA-F462-4D5A-8919-32C82D635B9B.jpeg
D48814A5-C25F-44E2-95E6-75A58A8A1D60.jpeg
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Steve_JT

Wise move to avoid cows with calves, they can be very protective, I have experience working with them when I was on the farm, most ok but you only want one that takes Umbridge and your done for, it is dependant on the breed too

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Blackadder43

Hmmm, me and cows have an understanding...i dont go in their fields and they leave me alone...
They always make a line straight for me if i do go in their field...
Strange though as a kid i worked in the local cattle market to earn a few bob, never bothered me back then lol...

Some nice finds and shows that rain is needed to bring fields back to life again...
Good day out and safer than staying home with teenagers :lol:
Littleboot

Blimey Cath....you get out of the house because of a teenager and you end up being pestered in a field by some more! :lol:
I love the piece of punched lead....i just love enigmatic things like that and it is very attractive too. Kind of apt given your new craft of leatherwork. Nowadays craft work and skilled creativity are luxuries and pleasures but of course it is easy to forget that everything before the industrial revolution was made that way.
I get quite a few silver 'sixpence' and 'shilling' sized coins here in Normandy...from all over Europe. At first I assumed they travelled here with soldiers but it is probably not so in the majority of cases. It is more simply the fact that there was a long standing semi-official currency uniion which meant that the coins were all standard sizes and thus interchangeable. This gradually unravelled after the first world war but it still remained a habit of the populace to take those coins as small change. Britain were never officially part of the arrangement (the awkward squad :lol: ) but still the coins were similar enough to be interchangeable. I suspect once half-silver came in the practice of swapping currency became more problematic.
Nice 17th century buckles....always like seeing these.
There is nothing more satisfying than being in a nice clean field with almost no trash and then hearing a signal. I have been on some busy and trashy places recently and while I have had a lot of finds....and a LOT of digging....it can be quite tiring and enervating and relaxing is a no-no. i was only thinking the other day of getting on a bit of quiet pasture for a nice change. Soothing....i will just have to choose one without the moo-cows in tow. Like Bruce....i never detect in fields now with them in. I can never get in the zone because I am always having to heads-up to see where the blighters are. :o
Live long and prosper.
Oxgirl

Some of the cows here are OK. I have one little herd of 10 that are really lovely and, whilst they come over and say hello they then leave me alone after a nose stroke. This set of boys though are going to be avoided completely. Only a few weeks before they go in for the winter :D . Then I’ll just need to avoid the one horse - another boy with the desire for constant attention and an attitude problem if he doesn’t get it :? The other new permission with the mothers and calves will be left till they too go in for winter.

I too love the lead piece. It’s nice to get something with a design, even if it looks like just a test piece!

Quiet pasture is now my favourite detecting place. I love seeing the old bumps and ridges and trying to work out what has gone before. Plus the better depth/ age gauge - not that it’s 100% accurate as I’ve had Roman items at a lot less depth than the post medieval stuff. I guess pretty much everything was ploughed or at least turned over at some point in the last 100 years.
Dave The Slave

Well done on your finds.
The lead is nice with those imprints.
Buckles are good to. Just seem to find parts of buckles.
Very wise with the cows. Watching a Farming programme last week, they had about Dexters, a breed i had never heard of. Fully grown about 42" but still weigh a fair bit.
You`re lucky with your daughter. Eldest son deferred Uni for a year at last moment, just as well as Swansea is now in the highly infected areas. Means i can`t use the boys room to sleep in during the day, which is far quieter.
With your leather handicraft skills, reckon you may be able to repurpose those buckles. Authentic Film and TV props ?
Best wishes, :thumbsup:
Dave.
bob the diggerer

I would keep away from the cows. lately theres been a few people killed by them over the last few months, and others badly injured, nobody knows why these attacks are happening, but If I were you I would stay well clear, and just eat them for the time being.....lol

When I saw your first lead picture I though it was an imprint of a tamborine player, the second one convinced me it was Andy Capp, pointing his finger.... well done on the finds and getting out,
Easylife

I've also experienced several most concerning moments with cattle, best to just make a sharp exit if they will let you! Quite reassuring to have the spade to hand just in case needed though! My farmer has two different locations, on one the cattle are just fine, but the other they just want to stampede me mob style so not quite so appealing! :?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:25 am Quiet pasture is now my favourite detecting place. I love seeing the old bumps and ridges and trying to work out what has gone before. Plus the better depth/ age gauge - not that it’s 100% accurate as I’ve had Roman items at a lot less depth than the post medieval stuff. I guess pretty much everything was ploughed or at least turned over at some point in the last 100 years.
Reading the land is always interesting but not worth over thinking at all. Roman coins near surface whilst Victorian a foot deep, no matter why, it just is what it is and we'll never know why for sure! Ploughing is the likely answer but does not fit all!
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
alloverover

A lifetime ago when working in the Province, we used to have cattle charge toward us when landing in helicopters, the noisiest most un natural thing for cows to see coming down into their fields and they used to run at it, top marks to the provisional bovine training team I suppose :problem:
Oxgirl

alloverover wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:59 pm A lifetime ago when working in the Province, we used to have cattle charge toward us when landing in helicopters, the noisiest most un natural thing for cows to see coming down into their fields and they used to run at it, top marks to the provisional bovine training team I suppose :problem:
I thought they’d run away from a helicopter :shock:
alloverover

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:00 pm I thought they’d run away from a helicopter :shock:
They were well trained Cath, years of being told to be on the offensive by theire Provo masters.
They used to train some to be affectionate to try and get info out of us that way , here's one of my old opo's nearly succumbing to the charms of young wily cows, they could easily sway a young country boy you know.
Attachments
20201011_200931.jpg