More pot than metal

alloverover

Evening all, not been around much lately with the weather and work etc, by gum the rain weve had lately :shock:

Had a few days working down in Dorset the other week, down the 303 which has got to be my favorite road
20200928_081809.jpg
same old story, got there and the job wasnt ready so had a mooch about the site,
20200928_140412.jpg
not a lot to be found really considering the history of the area but it kept me busy and out of the pub untill at least 4 o clock :D
20200928_151638.jpg
Back up my way ive been picking up more pottery than anything, conditions just arnt right on the field ive been on a couple of times, thought the heavy rain would of sorted it but still not producing, never mind, it will come when its ready :thumbsup: Rain made the potsherds stand out though, I think the Samian is from the bottom of what would of been a beautiful vase, the rest still awaiting me :lol: , theres also a few bits of Castor ware there so quite a posh site :thumbsup:
Attachments
20201005_174359.jpg
20201006_151231.jpg
20201005_174351.jpg
Littleboot

Your job is just an excuse, isn't it? :lol:
Lovely part of the world as well. The picture with the detector and a piece of landscape holding countless secrets....all to play for.

I love seeing pot sherds after rain but apart from samian and green glazed stuff i am a bit clueless. (I get a lot of very fine black or grey ware....not glazed. i am presuming it's Roman but not sure.)I just like collecting the bits.
I like your 'tude about what comes up. It will come when its ready...yes that is very true. You have to detect the same permissions for a lot of seasons to realize how true it is.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
figgis

Snap. My bestest field is doing exactly the same - witholding the metal goodies but pot sherds galore.

Great pic of Stonehenge :thumbsup: I can remember playing amongst those stones when you were allowed to; I was about 6 or 7 and I have a pic from the day somewhere. For some reason I had me parts on, but memory fails to recollect why :D
Dave The Slave

Some good remnants of pot, especially like the Samian.
Life member of CADW, Welsh equivalent of English Heritage. Last time i was at Stonehenge got there early car park and admittance packed. Steward shouted out any English Heritage members, this way, CADW have reciprocal admittance arrangement. VIP`D to front of queue and straight in. Must go back in the future.
Your job seems to give you some detecting opportunities.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

Love the Henge, those stones have seen some things for sure....

Great to be able to mix work with detecting, you're a lucky fella :thumbsup:

I need to start picking the sherds up too, so much history and research with those for your sites
Eyes to the ground people :ugeek:
alloverover

Littleboot wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:13 pm Your job is just an excuse, isn't it? :lol:
I love that quote Jan, I really try and turn it to my advantage yes, the best detecting is when your getting paid ( and finding :D ) :thumbsup:
Again, spot on, do a field once and dismiss it at your peril :thumbsup:
alloverover

Dave The Slave wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:52 pm Some good remnants of pot, especially like the Samian.
Life member of CADW, Welsh equivalent of English Heritage. Last time i was at Stonehenge got there early car park and admittance packed. Steward shouted out any English Heritage members, this way, CADW have reciprocal admittance arrangement. VIP`D to front of queue and straight in. Must go back in the future.
Your job seems to give you some detecting opportunities.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 am Snap. My bestest field is doing exactly the same - witholding the metal goodies but pot sherds galore.

Great pic of Stonehenge :thumbsup: I can remember playing amongst those stones when you were allowed to; I was about 6 or 7 and I have a pic from the day somewhere. For some reason I had me parts on, but memory fails to recollect why :D
Cheers chaps, yes, I always have a brief stop at Stone Henge when driving by, I pull down the track that runs along the West side, no worries there, apart from pulling out again :lol: Did an early morning visit there once, you can go in and around the stones on them but your not ment to touch them :roll: The army used to fire artillery from there onto the plain once and you cant touch them with your hands :lol:
Did you mean you had your pants on John ???? :lol:
alloverover

Blackadder43 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:07 pm Love the Henge, those stones have seen some things for sure....

Great to be able to mix work with detecting, you're a lucky fella :thumbsup:

I need to start picking the sherds up too, so much history and research with those for your sites
Eyes to the ground people :ugeek:
Cheers Bruce, yep, am picking all the rims and bases up now, think I will do another frame or two with them ( thanks for the idea Clint :D :thumbsup: ).
alloverover

I think the Samian sherd comes from something like this, its the only thing I can find with that rounded shape that goes straight into a vertical decorated panel .

Strange to think people were putting their Daffs in something like this on the field 1800 years ago :Thinking: :Thinking: :Thinking:
Attachments
20201009_112006.jpg
20201009_112028.jpg
1024px-Central_Gaulish_samian_Dr.30.JPG
figgis

alloverover wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:49 pm Cheers chaps, yes, I always have a brief stop at Stone Henge when driving by, I pull down the track that runs along the West side, no worries there, apart from pulling out again :lol: Did an early morning visit there once, you can go in and around the stones on them but your not ment to touch them :roll: The army used to fire artillery from there onto the plain once and you cant touch them with your hands :lol:
Ah, I didn't realise you could walk between the stones - I thought the whole thing was roped off. As for touching them, aside from the grease deposited over the years I'd love to know what other harm could come to them. Mind you, there will always be the odd halfwit wanting to take a sample... :roll: One thing I've never understood is how you can walk amongst the frescos of Pompeii/Herculaneum etc and touch them much as you like - a recipe for disaster in time :thumbdown:
alloverover wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:49 pm Did you mean you had your pants on John ???? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I may or may not have had them on (I've always ben a touch forgetful in that regard) but I've rather taken to the local expression "Putting yer parts on" (throwing a wobbler) and use it whenever the occasion presents :thumbsup:
alloverover

figgis wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:13 pm Ah, I didn't realise you could walk between the stones - I thought the whole thing was roped off. As for touching them, aside from the grease deposited over the years I'd love to know what other harm could come to them. Mind you, there will always be the odd halfwit wanting to take a sample... :roll: One thing I've never understood is how you can walk amongst the frescos of Pompeii/Herculaneum etc and touch them much as you like - a recipe for disaster in time :thumbdown:
:lol:

I may or may not have had them on (I've always ben a touch forgetful in that regard) but I've rather taken to the local expression "Putting yer parts on" (throwing a wobbler) and use it whenever the occasion presents :thumbsup:
You can only walk amongst them if you pay for it John, before the gates open to the masses, we had to get there at about 5 am from memory, standing round in the freezing cold ( it was midwinter) waiting for a German couple who were about 30mins late, didnt say sorry either, just like the last time :Thinking: :Thinking:
I was just glad I had my pants on :D :thumbsup:
figgis

alloverover wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:24 pm waiting for a German couple who were about 30mins late, didnt say sorry either, just like the last time :Thinking: :Thinking:
I was just glad I had my pants on :D :thumbsup:
:lol:

<sterotype> Ah, but did they, Phil? </sterotype>
alloverover

figgis wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:39 pm :lol:

<sterotype> Ah, but did they, Phil? </sterotype>
Lederhosen mate :thumbsup:
Attachments
lederhosen.jpg
stanslad

Great finds Phil, lovely pottery there mate,
the metalwork should show with the wet we've had lately, although beach setting looks favourable at the moment,
Bloody hope it does as hoping to be out at weekend, lost a few weekends out due to work on the farm I want to get on, but got to stay in the farmers good books as he's beating away the organisers of detecting clubs & Rallys saying "nope I got my resident diggers" & says he doesn't want to upset me, bless him!
Clint :thumbsup:
alloverover

stanslad wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 pm Great finds Phil, lovely pottery there mate,
the metalwork should show with the wet we've had lately, although beach setting looks favourable at the moment,
Bloody hope it does as hoping to be out at weekend, lost a few weekends out due to work on the farm I want to get on, but got to stay in the farmers good books as he's beating away the organisers of detecting clubs & Rallys saying "nope I got my resident diggers" & says he doesn't want to upset me, bless him!
Clint :thumbsup:
Nice place to be in mate, it dosent happen by chance does it, it takes a bit of effort holding your position buddy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: