Child’s detector or entry level?

HolzHammer

Evening all,
Quick bit of advice needed for my cousin whose daughter has seen me out a few times and accompanied me too and don’t worry I don’t need lengthy advice... in a nutshell, what’s best for an eight year old desperate to give detecting ago... a child’s detector or a light, entry level one adjusted to the smallest size?
Many thanks in advance
Alexander
Blackadder43

Good question
Childrens detectors have always looked like toys and possibly are as much use as toys
Weight needs to be considered too as they can get heavy on little arms for a few hours...
Idealy then the deus would be the weapon of choice, but obviously thats cost prohibitive

Nokta are releasing a childs machine shortly and Graeme at Unearthed has done a review on it here:
Graeme is a good guy
Oxgirl

I’d go that one too. Things like the Garrett are far too heavy for an 8 year old.

Other option though - how many coils do you have for your Deus? If you have more than one then you could buy a second stem, slap the spare coil on and stick a headset into the remote. The Orx stem is lighter than the Deus one and is less than £85 with the usual 10% discount. Even if you don’t have a spare coil it’s a good excuse to buy one :lol: Then if they get bored you have a coil you can use. Also you can teach adults with the same machine.

The other advantage of creating a second machine with your Deus is that you can listen in on their machine if you want to teach them about the sounds. You can switch back to your own machine/ coil at any time, just the touch of a button.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Mucky

Garrett ace 150. Perfect child's detector and finds good stuff. Light too! :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:03 pm Good question
Childrens detectors have always looked like toys and possibly are as much use as toys
Weight needs to be considered too as they can get heavy on little arms for a few hours...
Idealy then the deus would be the weapon of choice, but obviously thats cost prohibitive

Nokta are releasing a childs machine shortly and Graeme at Unearthed has done a review on it here:
Graeme is a good guy
Thank you very much very handy
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:43 pm I’d go that one too. Things like the Garrett are far too heavy for an 8 year old.

Other option though - how many coils do you have for your Deus? If you have more than one then you could buy a second stem, slap the spare coil on and stick a headset into the remote. The Orx stem is lighter than the Deus one and is less than £85 with the usual 10% discount. Even if you don’t have a spare coil it’s a good excuse to buy one :lol: Then if they get bored you have a coil you can use. Also you can teach adults with the same machine.

The other advantage of creating a second machine with your Deus is that you can listen in on their machine if you want to teach them about the sounds. You can switch back to your own machine/ coil at any time, just the touch of a button.
So are two coils effectively working from the same machine? I do have a spare coil but not sure how this is going to work I’m prob just being slow...!
HolzHammer

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:03 pm Good question

Graeme is a good guy
I’ve given the site a wee plug on his video!
Oxgirl

HolzHammer wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:35 am So are two coils effectively working from the same machine? I do have a spare coil but not sure how this is going to work I’m prob just being slow...!
Ok if you have two coils you can build another machine easily.
Just buy stem (~£85) and then you need a headset. If you have the remote you could plug any set into that (you don’t do you :( ), otherwise buy a second hand set of WS4’s for £100-150. So for around £200 you’ll have a whole new independent machine.
Or a set of spares, as a back up for your main machine.
EDIT:
On the listening in bit - each coil can have more than one headset programmed to accept it. If both headsets chose that coil (in the options) then both headsets will be sent the signals from the coil. Basically you both hear the same thing. Very useful to teach someone about the machine.

Once they get the hang of it then you can switch to another coil by just changing the coil choice in options and detect as normal with your own machine
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Thats an interesting feature for the Deus....quite handy too :thumbsup:
You should do a topic on it inbetween your leatherworking and othe stuff
Not sure folk know or think that its possible :thumbsup: