Sparse but decent quality...

figgis

...a bit like Great Aunt's moustache, in point of fact. If only she would transplant some of the bushy hairs from her sideburns she'd have the sort of handlebar moustache which'd get her straight into the RAF, no questions asked. I stepped out with a bearded lady once, you know. After a few red-faced discoveries it turned out her name was Basil, but I digress...

What ho,

With showers forecast for the day , going out was a touch-and-go decision but with Her Ladyship on the warpath looking for a suitable candidate (viz Yours Truly) to catch up on various household obligations, the Jenks was fired up and we departed at speed.

We had a bit of a wander up to the pottery area in the hope of bagging some more sherds and on the way a delightful little Roman/Saxon ring bezel showed its face. Thought it might be a brooch fragment at first, and it still could be, but finger ring is my bet. That's the third one found and hopefully there'll be a whole one floating about somewhere. Any road up, a fair bit of fieldwalking ensued and we collected a decent amount of pottery, including a chunk of Samian ware which, regrettably, had suffered a recent break. While casting around for more fragments of the vessel it started to rain quite hard so we retired to the pavillion to sit it out.

The decision to draw stumps on the day was on the point of being made when, after half an hour, the rain eased and play was able to resume. Good job we stayed, really, as a few decent finds cropped up in short order. First was the top of a Saxon cruciform brooch and this was followed by a cartwheel penny laying on the surface (you can imagine what that did to the old lugs) and then, feet away, a 1950 ship ha'penny also on the surface. A little later, what I thought was a mud-caked piece of rubbish transformed into a mud-caked Edward III halfpenny and with these sorts of finds I was gearing up for a longer day than originally planned. A nicely-cast lead alloy toy horse galloped under the coil and last up was what looked like nothing much but which might actually be "something". Pierced in the centre, it's very coinlike and in a certain light there's definitely a cross on one face and maybe some legend. Thing is, if you're going to pierce a coin to wear you'd pierce it near the perimeter but it could have been designed to be pinned to something I suppose. But, like Uncle Bungletrap's love of knitting, it's likely to remain one of life's mysteries.

With a good head of steam going, the afternoon was looking promising :D The weather, however, had other ideas and a dark mass of cloud was spotted coming our way - big enough and dark enough that waiting it out would require camping overnight, so we hightailed it out of there toot sweet. A hugely enjoyable, if damp, couple of hours and looking forward to getting back there next week.

Finds of the day:
10-10-20 footpath.jpg
One or two sherds picked up over the past two weeks, with the piece top, centre being a fair shout for a bit of roof tile (tegula):
sherds 10-20.jpg
Pip pip :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Very nice bag of finds John! I think your pierced coin might very well be an english jetton. They have a characteristic central hole. Worth a gander at them anyway :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

By gor, I think you're right :D :thumbsup:

Great steer, and thanks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Great opening lines , John, for yet another, " what are you laughing at ? " response from the colts.
Good day out, wonder how many of the lead horses, were from Escalado.
You`ve got more rim sherds in one photo, than i have EVER found, two.
Strangely enough, last week found a piece of the glazed stuff from a base of something, similar to that in your opening photo.
Looks like there should be a Roman coin or 2 in your field.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Thanks, Dave :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:21 pm Strangely enough, last week found a piece of the glazed stuff from a base of something, similar to that in your opening photo.
Same colour? If so, it's Samian ware - the Roman equivalent of Royal Doulton. If it's really shiny with a green tint it's more likely medieval.
Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:21 pm Looks like there should be a Roman coin or 2 in your field.
152 from that particular field so far, to be precise. 165 from the permission in total, so yeah - reasonably productive :lol:
alloverover

Nice session there John :thumbsup:

Am starting to get a bit more into the pottery now to be honest, I only used to pick it up to reduce the chances of another detectorst stumbling across the good areas, bloody footprint followers :x

Almost managed to get out today with my little girl as the Mrs is working but she kicked and screamed just enough for me to not make her as she had already been out with me harvesting this years sloes :D :D :thumbsup:
figgis

alloverover wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:36 pm Nice session there John :thumbsup:

Am starting to get a bit more into the pottery now to be honest, I only used to pick it up to reduce the chances of another detectorst stumbling across the good areas
Yar, I made a conscious decision to pick up whatever I find from now on. Not that I'm worried about anyone else seeing it, but I had the notion to make displays from the "interesting" bits and maybe a mosaic from the rest. Right now, following the recent rains, the pickings are good :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

" a cast lead alloy horse galloped under the coil " :lol: I like that :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

With the surface found coinage, are you sure you didn’t have a hole in your finds bag? :rollinglaughing:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
figgis

:lol:

The old bag's wearing thin and is a bit ragged round the edges, Andi, but basically sound if you don't take liberties.

Same goes for my finds pouch :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

figgis wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:51 pm :lol:

The old bag's wearing thin and is a bit ragged round the edges, Andi, but basically sound if you don't take liberties.

Same goes for my finds pouch :thumbsup:
And what would you like for your last meal? It was nice knowing you fella.... :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
figgis

At the first sign of HL logging in I shall abuse my powers and delete any reference to any minor indiscretion I may or may not have made.

But if I get caught - ham, egg and chips, please :D