bus token id

DaveP

Well, bc in the USA, now that slippery has put you on the slippery slope of "down a rabbit hole" you're going to need to follow the token and update us on Chas Dupre and his bus business.

Your starter for 10 (English idiom):

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/3 ... -aldermen/

and I don't have access but is this one related ....some good genealogy folks on here too :thumbsup:
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 16.25.15.png
I bet there's a family tree already done somewhere. In fact, it looks like the family name in that area has an "interesting" history.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/dail ... 5/7935046/

If you were asking about 2000 years of emperors, kings and queens and their nefarious activities it would be easy; but a C20th bus token from the fields of Louisiana is new ground for us limeys :thumbsup:
BC in usa

you folks are great and i was really thinking a token brought home from a European trip! will look up that info. thanks again all of yous!
Oxgirl

BC in usa wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:52 pm you folks are great! i want to come to your side of the world next year to hunt. what’s the best way to go? a guided hunt or try to get to into a rally type thing? would like to sightsee some two. i have a two week window. thanks for any advice
That’s a difficult question in some ways. The guided tours seem to get good hunts but are very expensive. Saying that you get great land and you are not up against hundreds of other people on the same field. They tend to be very geographically focussed. That’s great for time efficiency but you don’t see much of the country.
Maybe you could do a mix of things? A few days/ a week to do a guided set of hunts then spend a few days seeing some different parts of the country as a tourist and get another couple of digs in with some of the commercial boys. When are you thinking of coming over? Like everywhere you need to time it right to get a chance of decent weather and good detecting conditions.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
BC in usa

thanks and i was told sept-oct was the best times. is there any rallies that are close together that yall would recommend? i hunt large plantations and used to covering plenty of ground for a few things.
Oxgirl

BC in usa wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:46 pm thanks and i was told sept-oct was the best times. is there any rallies that are close together that yall would recommend? i hunt large plantations and used to covering plenty of ground for a few things.
Good choice on months :thumbsup: The Rodney Cook Memorial rally and Detectival are usually back to back weekends but they are very big and don’t always have the best finds (especially Detectival). You’d be better (in my view) to go for one that is a bit smaller - for example the Joan Allen’s ones seem really good. To be honest if you are over in September or October you’ll be spoilt for choice :D
BC in usa

thanks for MORE good info. so what parts of your fine land is the most promising for rallies to go? my wife detects and loves to site see so this might be my best option. she wouldn’t want to dig for more than a few days straight and i wouldn’t want to be gone from her for a few weeks. 😊i will start my planning soon and see what i can sign up for. thanks again
Oxgirl

BC in usa wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:02 pm so what parts of your fine land is the most promising for rallies to go?
South east of England is generally considered the best for detecting. Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent, etc in particular but anywhere south of Birmingham will help. Depends what you are interested in though as Viking stuff is generally found on the North East coast right up to the Scottish border. And Yorkshire was a rich county and is pretty good too so I’m now contradicting myself :lol: . There’s history everywhere!

Maybe work out what you want to see in the UK and then work detecting round it?
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:36 pm Maybe work out what you want to see in the UK and then work detecting round it?
I agree, and there are plenty of FB group pay per day digs about. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
DaveP

We had friends from Baltimore visit. Ahead of the time we asked what they would like to see. High on the list was “a castle”.
That narrowed it down to 800 medieval or earlier castles in England or ~4000 castles in the uK in various states of repair. 🙂
Add in a ‘few’ stately homes, homes of famous people, a cup of tea in an Elizabethan tearoom in a quaint village and you’ll always find some good history visits not far from wherever you go. We are only a little island - you just need to choose what you would like to see when you’re not staring at the ground.
P.s. the beer isn’t warm, it’s just not that cold 😁
TheFenTiger

Just be aware of the rules on taking anything over 50 years old and found with a detector out of the country. The detecting holidays usually take care of that for you otherwise you have to get finds recorded and the paperwork processed which can take 6 months or so.
Dave